X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Soldier Ape Question.

I've read the descriptions of the various soldier ape tunics, but I've never been quite sure which ones I own. I wanted to confirm, but I also have a question or two. We'll call the guy on your far left number 1 and so on-

OK, #1 looks like a black lizard skin Soldier. Yes? Inside the tunic is a dark black mesh.

#2 - and here's where the confusion begins. He looks to be a similar blue color like the next few guys, but he has a texture (see below). It's not as reptile-defined as #1, but seems to be creased all over. The tunic also looks tailored (as opposed to the boxy cuts of the others). The tunic has a dark green mesh inside. Maybe just a production issue? Simply balled up for a while before being put back on? Nah, the cuffs are the same texture.

#3 & 4 - These guys look pretty straight forward blue. BUT... #3 has a dark mesh inside the tunic like #1 while #4 has as almost sea foam green mesh inside.

#5 - This feels a little more black the #3 & 4, but not as black as #1. The mesh inside his tunic is like a bright royal blue (like the original pictured in the Gallery's accessory check). Is he just a dusty blue? Another slight change in production material?

Here's a closer look at the texture on #2

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

^^ pic links are broken for me… not sure if others can them or not?

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Thanks. I tried uploading them from a different place-

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Your LZ clearly looks to be of the dark blue variety. I currently have 9 different Lizard Skin tunics (different in color and/or texture ((pattern or vinyl variation)) that I use as comparative examples of the factory stock range. There's likely even more out there.

If you're ever in doubt/question, use a bright light such as a LED flashlight or halogen lamp… the blue tones will visible, true blacks will absorb the light and remain dark much like the Ape's head/hair.

Give this thread a read; good discussion/sharing, and you'll see a group of these tunics in a variety of colors including a Black Lizard version on the General.

You've already discovered that even common POTA blue tunics appear in many tones of blue and with different surface grades from super smooth to pitted and wrinkled. The linings also run a of gamut of colors, from bright red and beige to several blue, gray and black fabrics.

A single classic figure with many possibilities making them so fun to collect!
        Last edited by Confessional; Oct 11, '15, 7:26 PM. Reason: …plurality!

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Thanks. Took your advice and used an LED flashlight on the Lizard. It still looks pretty black to me. Matches his boots pretty well.

Thanks for clearing up #2. I was wondering about that "wrinkled" tunic.

I think no matter how many pics I see, I can only differentiate the silver when it is next to a different soldier. Maybe if I ever see one in real life, it will be more clear.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎