X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

things ppl THINK are worth $ but it's not

I was at the local Value Village yesterday and they had a little basket in the the "lock up" area near the cash's with some loose Star Wars and Black Hole figures. They had individual price tags of $10 and $12 on EACH figure! I also always see Elvis records (scratched junky shelf worn) there all the time with $14.99 price tags. I go just about every other day and the next time I go thery're gone. Which means somebody's waaaay overpaying for common junk.
    What else do you guys see people overpaying for, thinking that they got themselves some kind of rarity? And what propels the notion that they're rare? The guy sold a billion records, don't people get that? that there's a billion old Elvis records out there?
    Is it the fact that a TV show will report some guy found some super rare acetate that sells for $25,000 so they just assume that,if that's worth that kind of money then there crappy copy of Elvis x-mas songs has got be worth at least $50?
    And the funny thing about the Star Wars figures, is that I picked up a New York, New York Puzz3d puzzle for $5 and the thing's worth a couple hundred bucks. So obviously they don't hire people who actually know their collectables.
    Oh, btw I had a 30% coupon so I picked up a Black Hole sentry figure for $7. Too bad they didn't have the Canadian exclusive Humanoid. I'd pay $10 for him.
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

in the local thrift shops where I go,it's freakin hilarious...they have all these purses like LV,Channel and Coach for like $60-$150 and you can see from a mile away that they are fake,but yet people buy them thinking they are getting a great deal

Or I'll see like a boxed Barbie from the 90's for like $30 and then they sell me a loose 60's one for a $1

by the way I always buy Elvis records not for $15 but if i go to any thrift shop,garage sale or flea market and they are cheap I take 'em.I can't dis out the King like that
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
      Stuck in a laundry shoot.
      • Oct 8, 2007

The local shop here has a bunch of loose , very worn og star wars figures and they go for 15.00 on up. I don't think he's selling many so maybe he would give me a deal, but he even has carded Power of the Force stuff from the 90's priced at 15.00 a pop. I can't even give away POTF stuff.
      He has great deals on albums, like Smurfy xmas, Thriller, and Hall n Oats, but nothing that I am excited about. He carrys lots of Spawn figures, and probably has some good old comics, but they are so disorganized you can't have fun searching thru them.
      "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• theantiquetiger
        Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
        • Nov 12, 2005

My favorite is seeing an old toy at an antique store and lying right next to it is a print out from Ebay showing this toy sold for $300 dollars (or what ever), and they have the same price on their toy. What they do not realize is the toy on Ebay is mint condition, in original box, etc, and their toy is loose, heavily played with, rusted piece of crap.

I see this alot with Tonka and other pressed steel toys.

Another is baseball cards. My brother deals in high end cards, mostly at shows throughout the south, but on Ebay alittle. He says he gets people who come to the show, looking to sell entire collections, in which my brother will do. He laughs when people say, "These are old, I bought them when my son was born." Then my brother learns their son is now 12 or so, and have nothing but common cards.
        Last edited by theantiquetiger; Apr 5, '08, 8:15 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• 4NDR01D
          • Jan 22, 2008

Don't get me wrong, I dig Elvis, and I do collect Rockabilly,Psych,Country, Lp's etc. I've made lots of money on eBay knowing my records (flipping 3 bluenote jazz 10 inches that I paid 25 cents each for to a collector in Japan for $500, was one of my greatest flips). I know the people at the thrift shops can't be experts on everything. The issue of my frustrations is less the thrift shops than the peope who do the overpaying. Like I mentioned I paid $7 for the Sentry, which may make a fellow museum member shake their head (I really have know idea the value probably like $5) I overpay for things all the time, But usually for things I just don't see often. Elvis records on the other hand, it seems that every vendor at a flea market has a bunch that their asking $10 for.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
            • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by theantiquetiger
            My favorite is seeing an old toy at an antique store and lying right next to it is a print out from Ebay showing this toy sold for $300 dollars (or what ever), and they have the same price on their toy. What they do not realize is the toy on Ebay is mint condition, in original box, etc, and their toy is loose, heavily played with, rusted piece of crap.

I see this alot with Tonka and other pressed steel toys.
            PERFECT EXAMPLE! I too see the Tonka stuff all the time with ridiculas prices on beat to crap trucks etc. The things will out last religion, yet some how their rare? Maybe it's beginner collectors who buy this stuff? I over paid for common Led Zep/Floyd albums back in the day. anyways, sorry to respond twice to my own thread, I'll cut it out now.

Comment

• misterdroid
              Banned
              • Jan 10, 2008

My favorite thrift shop find was at this terrible place that prices quite high. They had a naked mego Wicked Witch for $25 and a nude Cowardly Lion for the same. Before I left in disgust, I decided to go hit the "crappy" toy section. In a bag of baby toys and happy meal stuff I found a dead mint Blue Snaggletooth, Walrusman, Hammerhead and Greedo. Not exactly experts manning the pricing crayon. The bag's price....75 cents. I happened to still own my original cardboard Sears cantina, and with the combined figs I sold it all for $230 (to a guy that added the missing weapons, relisted it and tried twice to sell it for $300, before getting about 250 for it) on ebay. Sweet, sweet justice.

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by misterdroid
                My favorite thrift shop find was at this terrible place that prices quite high. They had a naked mego Wicked Witch for $25 and a nude Cowardly Lion for the same. Before I left in disgust, I decided to go hit the "crappy" toy section. In a bag of baby toys and happy meal stuff I found a dead mint Blue Snaggletooth, Walrusman, Hammerhead and Greedo. Not exactly experts manning the pricing crayon. The bag's price....75 cents. I happened to still own my original cardboard Sears cantina, and with the combined figs I sold it all for $230 (to a guy that added the missing weapons, relisted it and tried twice to sell it for $300, before getting about 250 for it) on ebay. Sweet, sweet justice.
                Kind of the same thing that happened o me,i walked in a salvation army and they had a millennium Barbie from 99-00 in the box for $40 and in the box of loose toys I found the Ken,Christy,Barbie bubble cut,Midge,skipper,skooter,Alan and a few more for 2 for a $1, I couldn't believe it,plus loose clothes and stuff.I spent like $6 and flipped it for like $450

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

oh crap!! even better.The Mr.Rock i bought last year at a Comic and collectibles shop.They were asking $40 for the Kirk and McCoy each on beat up cards $50 for the klingon but sold the Mr.Rock to me for $50 which i then flipped for $2500 ,Remember that one guys?

Comment

• misterdroid
                    Banned
                    • Jan 10, 2008

Originally posted by toys2cool
                    oh crap!! even better.The Mr.Rock i bought last year at a Comic and collectibles shop.They were asking $40 for the Kirk and McCoy each on beat up cards $50 for the klingon but sold the Mr.Rock to me for $50 which i then flipped for $2500 ,Remember that one guys?
                    That my friend, is a damn nice find!

Comment

• monkey tennis
                      "Kiss my face."
                      • Jun 8, 2007

Saw someone selling a Broken Action-Man missing a hand for £30.00 ($60.00)
                      I just farted and left the shop
                      "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎