• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Your favorite Power/Peter Pan record to act out

Hi guys,

The new FTC Santa Claus reminded me so much of the Superheroes Christmas album, (and SMDM's Christmas), and maybe your kids, (or even you guys) would enjoy acting out those stories. And that got me thinking:

What was your favorite Power record to act out (whether it was w/ your figures or yourself)?
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

If I had to guess which us acted out Peter Pan records back in the day, you would be my first guess. You seemed like the type of creative that just cared about having fun.

I didn't act it out, but I remember "Stacked Cards" inspiring some Mego adventures with the Joker.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• HardyGirl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Actually, I never had Power Records as a kid. I had the chance to get some, but opted for dolls instead. (well I am a girl!). But I did act out LOTS of other records. We had the HUGE mirror in our living room made up of lots of small mirrors. It literally took up a wall. And that's where the stereo was (that I had to use after my record player died). I acted out Hansel & Gretel, my Nursery Rhymes record, Popeye, my Happy Birthday record, my Sesame Street 2 record, Sesame Street Rubber Duckie (Peter Pan players), K-Tel Looney Tunes, and my brother's Bill Cosby record (loved doing Noah!) Sometimes I'd even get my friends in on it! Too much fun!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

I still have the first Batman LP with Stacked Cards on it from when I was a kid. It plays horribly! I'm doubt it even has grooves in it anymore. But I acted out Stacked Cards at the time with Megos for sure. There was a second Batman LP with a Man-Bat story on it that I loved and made me wish I had a Man-Bat Mego.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Easy. Robin Meets Man-Bat!!! This one captured my imagination like no other. It was my first exposure to Man-Bat, but made me hunt down all his early Frank Robbins/ Neal Adams appearances. My friends and I acted out that record quite a bit!

I'd be remiss if I didn't plug Rob Kelly's excellent Power Records blog. There you can find audio files and scans of nearly every Power Records offering, but also the episodes of the Power Records podcast which Rob produces and is nice enough to have me co-host.

The Action "Comes Alive" As You Read!!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

loved that stacked cards one, Robin mentions a frontal lobotomy for the Joker.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

^What Chris said. Man-Bat is amazing. From the dripping faucet hurting Langstrom's bat-ears to the screeching of Francine "Screeeech! You took my Man-Bat away! Screeeech! And for that, you must DIEEEE!"

I first had the story on the LP, so no book and record to go with it. Just imagination and the mind's eye. Wonderful stuff that is part of my formative DNA.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Hedji
                I first had the story on the LP, so no book and record to go with it. Just imagination and the mind's eye. Wonderful stuff that is part of my formative DNA.
                A lot of my records didn't have books either. I guess that's why I like radio shows so much.

Comment

• Godzilla
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 3, 2002

I have listened to these for years in my car. I copied a bunch to CD for my kids and they love them. They really hold up well.
                  Mortui Vivos Docent
                  The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 1, 2005

I loved that Christmas album!! Wow I can't tell you how many times I listened to that one....

I think the one that I acted out the most (both performing-wise and with my toys) was G.I. Joe and the Secret Of The Mummy's Tomb. I was fascinated with that one, even though honestly the Mummy parts scared me a little bit.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Power Records did indeed have the "power" to scare the beejeezus out of you. Even now, it's amazing to think some of these were marketed to kids. The Man-Thing record being the huge standout! Suicidal clown!!!

I had the Man-Bat story on the LP as well (the same one as your avatar, Hedji), so it was pure imagination for me as well.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

That Neal Adams cover of Batman and Robin running on the front and their portraits on the back... Words fail me how definitively he captures their strength and heroism.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^Oh yes. I still have my childhood copy of this. I scanned and printed the front cover image, printed it out, mounted it to foam board and cut it out to put it on my son's wall. It's still there!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

BTW Earth 2 Chris, I've enjoyed all of the Power Records podcasts so far! (I think I'm caught up.) The review and analysis after the play thru is spot on.

I love both Batman LPs. Stacked Cards taught me things such as Frontal Lobotomy, a ghoulish grin, a retirement, and showed me two dead bodies photorealisticly rendered by Neal Adams. Yeah, it scared the crap out of me at 6 years old.

Robin meets Man-Bat freaked me out too. When Langstrom starts to turn and his ears push his hat off of his head and then the reveal in the mirror... MAN! I also got to learn what hypodermic needles were, and in a backwards way, what a Long Island sounded like! "...And for that, you must DWEYE!" Plus, I guess Francine was so drunk she mistook her drink for a serum that was just sitting around uncovered in a tumbler? I don't know, maybe she drank it on purpose and lied about it later.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• El Hombre Nuclear
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Sep 5, 2014

I had a bunch of Power Records as well, but the ones I remember "acting out" the most were actually the Superscope Story Teller Tarzan sets. Does anyone else remember those? They came out around the same time the Filmation Tarzan cartoons were airing, and I was really into all that stuff. A decade later, I unearthed them from our basement, and me and my goofy teenaged metalhead friends became obsessed with listening to them again. I still have a 1987 school yearbook where one of them wrote "TARZAN AND THE FIRE GODS!!!" underneath our pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎