Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody hear about the drug that went from $15.00 to $750.00 overnight ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I'm sure anybody that invested with this guy still have tons of money from other shady deals.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Duncan
      Just wanted to bring this thread back for a minute to point something out. On Sept 22, 2015 when the thread was started, Valeant was $216.76 per share. Today it's $25.48. A lot of people lost a lot of money on this company.
      That's a shame, profiting on the sick, boo hoo. Sometimes people reap what they sow.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Duncan
        Museum focus-groupie
        • Jun 27, 2009

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
        Yes you were the only one who bragged about their stock raising. It serves the investors right for not jumping off when they found out the CEO was more crooked than a barrel of snakes.
        Not sure "bragged" is fair. Here's what I said: "Yeah, I understand the investments made in research and letting drug cos make enough profit to justify that expense, but jacking up prices on old drugs bothers me. Maybe if you can't beat ém join ém: a lot of the drug cos are publicly traded. GSK has a nice 6% dividend yield..."

The stock I mentioned, GSK, is basically flat (up about 5%) from Sept 22. The logic remains: if you think drug companies are making obscene profits, then let them do it on your behalf.*

*Unless management steals it all, and then you're doubly screwed.
        Last edited by Duncan; Jun 10, '16, 9:59 PM.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Duncan
          Not sure "bragged" is fair. Here's what I said: "Yeah, I understand the investments made in research and letting drug cos make enough profit to justify that expense, but jacking up prices on old drugs bothers me. Maybe if you can't beat ém join ém: a lot of the drug cos are publicly traded. GSK has a nice 6% dividend yield..."

The stock I mentioned, GSK, is basically flat (up about 5%) from Sept 22. The logic remains: if you think drug companies are making obscene profits, then let them do it on your behalf.*

*Unless management steals it all, and then you're doubly screwed.
          I don't think investing in an immoral company was a tasteful suggestion.

But the bad PR sinking the companies stock price was water evening itself out.
          Last edited by Mr.Marion; Jun 11, '16, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• Duncan
            Museum focus-groupie
            • Jun 27, 2009

I basically agree. That's why I threw out the GSK symbol, and not Valeant's. MRK and PFE are also blue chip names in the industry. I'd argue that in the aggregate, the industry does more good than harm - at least those companies in the business of creating new drugs. Valeant's business model was more like that of a hedge or private equity fund, and they allegedly played games with their distribution network to prevent generic manufacturers from acquiring enough drug for testing. Personally, I'm more annoyed with regulators for allowing that situation to (allegedly!) exist.

Comment

• Duncan
              Museum focus-groupie
              • Jun 27, 2009

Quick update: Shkreli was just sentenced to 7 years in prison for securities fraud unrelated to raising the price of that drug.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Sweet !!!

His new job is going to be tender of the prison salad bar

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

should be a nice prison wedding for him.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy!

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      should be a nice prison wedding for him.
                      Big Bubba Bakowski will finally get the bride he always wanted

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
                        Big Bubba Bakowski will finally get the bride he always wanted
                        My sentiments exactly Mikey. With any luck he'll get HIV while he's in there and need his own drug for the rest of his miserable life.

Comment

• hobub
                          Ghost of a Dead Indian
                          • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by ubermanx
                          Capitalism at its finest ...

- Marty
                          No, combined with greed and at its worst. Yeah the greedy Epipen guy. I remember this because my son has one for nut allergies. They used to be affordable.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

I read that he was crying in court. Couldn’t apologize enough. Cried so much that the judge gave him a box of Kleenex. He told the judge that he thought the sentence was too harsh.

Oh well.

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                              I read that he was crying in court. Couldn’t apologize enough. Cried so much that the judge gave him a box of Kleenex. He told the judge that he thought the sentence was too harsh.

Oh well.

- Ian
                              LOL! Makes me think of Cartman on South Park...Mmmmm your tears are so sweet...yummy!

Comment

• cjefferys
                                Duke of Gloat
                                • Apr 23, 2006

Gee, couldn't have happened to a sweeter guy, he's a real charmer.

Originally posted by hobub
                                No, combined with greed and at its worst. Yeah the greedy Epipen guy. I remember this because my son has one for nut allergies. They used to be affordable.
                                Yeah, both my kids need Epipens so we have four at any given time (one each for home, and one each stored at their school). I'm glad our insurance covers it (especially now that Ontario pays for prescription drugs for anyone under 25) because I can't imagine having to actually buy four at one time (and I've heard that they are even more expensive in the states). The high price boggles my mind though, I've read that each one only contains a couple dollars worth of medicine, and the delivery system was designed by the US military, so how did a private company end up with the patent for that?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎