X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Brue
    odds are that everyone of the principal cast and crew had multi picture deals that the studio pays whether they do it or not.
    That's right, or they offer to slide the contract for another production. I think you'll see that with Mara and Jordan, but Teller will be bought and cut. They weren't making much, espcially compared to the first FF cast.

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

I don't know that the legal term is but I would think there is an "escape clause" for Fox in regards to paying the cast if a sequel doesn't get made. Perhaps something like a reduced fee or maybe even nothing. None of the four are big enough stars to automatically have Pay or Play clauses in contracts for sequels. I accept that I could be wrong and if the cast can get paid for not making a movie then good for them. Not a bad way to earn money!

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Low budget sequel to keep the rights? like the Corman film (which is the reason why Fox has the rights in the first place)

Fox let Daredevil go back to Marvel... and now Marvel studios is killing it with DD on Netflix.
        Last edited by samurainoir; Sep 15, '15, 12:52 PM.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

I wonder if Fox's rights allow them to make a spoof or flat out comedy with the Fantastic Four. I hope not. If they can I wouldn't be surprised if they took that approach. Again, I hope they can't.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

They could do a musical.

A TV series also counts. Oddly, FF would work well as one since it's heavy on melodrama and relationship dynamics. It's the VFX costs, which is the same problem with the movies.

I've actually been skimming the early issues again and forget how often Thing reverts back to Ben. That fits nicely for a series, but would get old in movie sequels. In a series the frustration could play out over several episodes whereas in a film, it's a fast plot twist and predictable after one use.

Comment

• wise guy
              Career Member
              • Dec 29, 2014

The F.F has had 3 bad movies,each worse than the one before. I think that they are passed their time like many Golden age charectors were when the Silver age started.
              All the other teams like X-men & JLA, changed rosters to adapt to the times( while F.F is stuck with an outdated family team). Even a F.F Animated series seems outdated
              for the younger generation. Marvel should move Ben to the Avengers, and Johnny to the X-men . Even Capt. America upgraded from The Invaders to Avengers
              to adapt to Silver age.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I don't agree they're outdated, Hollywood doesn't know what to do with the characters because they're not Superheroes, more like Science Heroes. There is a terrific movie in there.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

It's difficult but can be done cinematically IMO. There's no reason at all --except studio rights--that those four characters can't tie in cinematically to the "MCU." Reed as science-foil to Stark is interesting at the very least. If written properly, Ben is a good contrast to the Hulk, too.

I love the FF, I think a heroic "family" can work. "Ant-Man" and GotG proved that films of different tone can succeed. In the increasingly dark world that is film superheroics, I think audiences deserve the family perspective the FF can provide. Also, the FF has some of the most kick-butt villains of the Marvel Universe and let's not waste them. The political aspect of Doom is prescient today. Plus the Negative Zone is a great exploitable concept.

Anything can be written off as passé--Aquaman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Ant-Man, even Batman at one time. But all it takes is the right passion and creativity to make these characters "live" to touch and inspire fans and entertain audiences.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Marvel would never touch the incredible relevancy in Doom, lest the upset one exhibition market controlled by a bureau diktate.

For Mandarin, Arad purposely ran from doing a Cap film with Hydra as the main baddies due to Al-Qaeda. Same thing with the GI Joe franchise. chicken-****es all.

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
                      They could do a musical.
                      Arrested Development already did that!

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

I don't think there's anything dated about the concept of a family dynamic in a group of heroes - it's a well loved classic idea and anytime a movie gets that right it's a huge beloved hit. In my opinion it's the secret behind what makes Star Wars endearing, and I think that's what people responded to with Guardians as well. It's just that none of these FF movies have come close to getting it right.

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

I too grew up with F.F and here on the museum people still like them, but kids, and a lot of younger generation don't care . It's possible to make a good FF movie but so far
                          the movies keep sinking them lower and lower. Even Marvel is not doing an FF comic anymore (outdated and not selling). The first X-men got boring and were replaced
                          with the second team which brought them to success , movies, cartoons , toys , action figures etc. There are still people who liked the first X-men team, but the
                          book kept getting cancelled and doing reprints when it was brought back .

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

My kids loved the previous Fantastic Four movies and know the characters, so do their friends. As for Marvel not printing the comic, that's a tactic to sink the Fox movies, not a statement about how "Outdated" they are. Trust me, Marvel wants them back to make movies.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by wise guy
                              I too grew up with F.F and here on the museum people still like them, but kids, and a lot of younger generation don't care . It's possible to make a good FF movie but so far
                              the movies keep sinking them lower and lower. Even Marvel is not doing an FF comic anymore (outdated and not selling). The first X-men got boring and were replaced
                              with the second team which brought them to success , movies, cartoons , toys , action figures etc. There are still people who liked the first X-men team, but the
                              book kept getting cancelled and doing reprints when it was brought back .
                              Funny all the original XMen are still around and used in comics. The FF cancellation had nothing to do with relevancy, it had all to do with the Disney/Fox movie issues.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• wise guy
                                Career Member
                                • Dec 29, 2014

I hope I did'nt offend anyone ( I am only stating my opinion ) but I am tired of seeing the FF get second rate treatment. My LCS guy told me no one was buying the book
                                way before the movie got released. Disney might be the answer . The old X-men are still around and they evolved them to Archangel, Phoenix , etc.
                                to fit them in with the modern mutants like Wolverine and Storm . Thing should have evolved to Hulk level because too many of their foes are that powerful

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎