Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JRT!
    Museum Super Collector
    • Sep 6, 2015

One of the reasons I still like Who,it becomig a parody of itself,like so MANY 80's tv shows,and today's shows. The premise for the new spin-off sounds incredibly boring though. Just bring back Torchwood instead.

I liked the opening two-parter. Never had problems with understanding the show or what is being said. No,they don't need subtitles,lol! But I guess I can see that people outside the UK have a hard time undrstanding it if English isn't their first language. And I have to say that way back in the episode where Rose left,it was kinda funny hearing her trying to say something in Norwegian,which is my second language,unfortunately. Also funny seeing this play in Astoria once,called Shanghaied in Astoria....in Oregon btw,lol....and they tried some Norwegian too,lol. And yes,I see the Goonies house every time I go through there,lol.

J-R!

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Finally caught the first two of the new season. Enjoyed them. I think Capaldi has really started to inhabit the character.

Missy has grown on me in these episodes as well. She's taken John Simms over the top approach and really run with it well.

Fun Stuff.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Tonight's episode was pretty good. Capaldi was brilliant and the overall story was compelling enough.
        Looking forward to part 2 to see how the Game of Thrones girl is abusing her immortality.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

SPOILERS!!!!!

I don't know what to say about this episode.
          If they're trying to emulate poorly made vintage Who, they succeeded. Lame costumes, unfunny attempts at comedy. I'm surprised Bonnie Langford didn't have a guest role.

To finish, Vikings DID NOT wear horns on their helmets. No, they didn't, that's just movie stuff. If you want to see some proper designs, watch LOTR Two Towers.
          But honestly, the horns were the least of the problems in this episode.
          If they're trying to kill the show, they're doing great...
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Agree about the horns. Seems like they did that for a misjudged attempt at levity. But at least they got the swords more or less entirely accurate to the period. (Probably shared props with the BBC production of The Last Kingdom.)

Apparently Brian Blessed was originally cast as the alien impersonating Odin, but had to pull out because of illness.
            Last edited by Bruce Banner; Oct 19, '15, 5:51 AM.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Overall I really enjoyed it, the aliens and vikings were definitely just a throw away contrivance put there to get the real story. Their comedy helped with the bigger issue, the Doctor's conflict, not get too bogged down. I loved the Yo-Yo sequence particularly and and let's hope the sunglasses are gonzo.

The burden of this one was all on Capadli and i thought his performance was terrific, enjoyed the reveal of why he chose that face. This one worked on an emotional level and that's what this new series has always done so well.

Also, I'm liking the aging punk Doctor look a great deal. A lot more than I thought.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^I think they should have started with that look. I guess it takes a while for each new Doctor to find themselves. I wish they'd kept the guitar riff in the theme song from the last episode!

I liked this one, and am I intrigued by the next one. The "extra" chip makes me wonder if Clara and Dani Pink won't get a happy ever after, after all.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I'm sort of OK with them easing into the look, it feels kind of organic. I feel like the theme of last season was the Doctor exploring who he was and keeping the audience guessing. This season, he's more comfortable in the role and being himself. I read in an article a few of the scripts for last year were written under the guise of "just write for Tom Baker".

As for the guitar riff, yeah, it gave the theme a bit of oomph. I'm not the kind to let tiny nitpicks and details derail my enjoyment of something but I do admit that I FF the opening credits now. I've never done that!

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Whenever I hear the guitar riff it makes me think of Bill & Ted

Comment

• Godzilla
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 3, 2002

I agree I enjoyed that one quite a bit.
                      Mortui Vivos Docent
                      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Tonight's follow up episode was decent. Exploring the often used concept of the sorrowful burden of immortality fairly well.
                        Was thinking how cool it would be if Ashilda did actually become the new companion. Alas, no chance of that.
                        Liked the cool reference to the Terileptils.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Been dvring them and watching them 1 week behind.

So far up to the first Viking episode -- The space guy reminded me of the Pirate Planet Captain.

So far I like this season much better than the last -- seems kinda Tom Bakery

Hope they keep up this momentum and not fall back into the latter Matt Smith convoluted unintelligible era

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

There obviously going somewhere with Alshida, interesting story and well acted as usual. I don't think Clara is going to end well.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

I was really hoping she'd be in the sixth Doctor's coat this time.....

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

I wonder if she'll be the new companion...or is that too obvious? Or is it so obvious, it's not obvious?

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎