Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

I really thought I was going to dislike the Christmas episode, because of the forced humor and River Song.

I was right.
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Definitely not the best of the DW holiday episodes. Turned out pretty much just as I figured it would.

I still don't like the idea of DW christmas episodes anyway.

Anyway, looking forward to the next season.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
        I really thought I was going to dislike the Christmas episode, because of the forced humor and River Song.

I was right.
        that's called a sell fufilling prophecy. "See i told you it would suck before i saw it!"
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
          Definitely not the best of the DW holiday episodes. Turned out pretty much just as I figured it would.

I still don't like the idea of DW christmas episodes anyway.
          I liked the ending although i knew it was coming from the preview (Doctor mentioning a hair cut) the rest felt tagged on.

Christmas specials are usually throw aways with the odd one being good (like "last Christmas") but all in all they're kind of broad and silly. It was nice to see River and the 12th together and I like giving her closure like this but it was kind of a mess.

I actually read somewhere that the audience is expected to be a l'il drunk on Christmas day, so they play it up. Not sure if that's true but i can honestly say it didn't help

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

It was okay, but I myself have seen better, and I'm still a bit of a noob. I think all of Smith's were better, and last years' Capaldi special was too. The plot seemed kind of thin. I think it could have just been a regular hour show. The ending was sweet, though.

CHrsi
            sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

It's sad when Doctor Who rips off Futurama --- see episode where Richard Nixon's head had that huge robo body.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                that's called a sell fufilling prophecy. "See i told you it would suck before i saw it!"
                Not at all.
                If I'm a vegetarian, and they offer me a meatlovers pizza, I know I won't like it. It's fact-based science.
                This pizza had forced humor and River Song toppings, as shown in the preview, and that's often enough to ruin it for me. I still watched it, hoping to be proved wrong. I wasn't.
                That's ok. Can't love every episode.
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Watched it. Enjoyed it. Not too critical of it since it was a Christmas Special. I'm always glad to see River Song and her interactions with Twelve were well played by both parties. Capaldi IS The Doctor as far as I'm concerned now. Looking forward to Season Ten and even looking forward to the reruns of Season Nine with the "cliff notes," if you will.
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                    Hot Child in the City
                    • Jul 3, 2008

I liked the Christmas special myself. I thought it was fun, and shows that the Doctor Who series doesn't always have to be massively serious.
                    Always like when River shows the Doctor something about his Tardis he didn't know. His face when she opens the hidden bar was priceless.
                    I agtee about the loud music too. I realized a few episodes back that it's gotten intrusive, and adds to the "garbaling" of Capaldi's accent.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

And how could I have forgotten to mention the scene where Twelve gets to play the role of someone flabbergasted that the TARDIS is bigger on the inside?!? Freaking amazing AND hilarious!!!
                      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Ok, the bar part was funny (the brandy was a "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" reference too) as was the notion that River joyrided occasionally....

It was nice to see Capaldi's Doctor smile too.

Comment

• clemso
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 8, 2001

So River's timeline starting to make sense, it means she only ever knew 11 & 12 in actual time (i know there is no actual time, but you know what i mean i hope ).

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Watched the Christmas Special again last night. Even better the second time around! I love the scene where he's lying on the ground laughing because they're "being threatened by a bag." I also did like the clever way that Twelve found to take out Hydroflax's robotic body.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

I enjoyed it. appreciated the humour and thought the end was touching.
                              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy

Is Matt Smith going to come out of the bathroom?

All of that about the diner got me thinking,did Clara meet the 11th Doctor before the events of Asylum of the Daleks?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎