X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    ^I'm not sure they'll ever follow the Marvel books and swap the characters out. They could, but the comic stories are just that...stories. These changes are never going to stick. That's a big gamble to risk on a big budget movie. It's a lot cheaper to do in comics...because they can switch it back quickly, if the outcry is so great the sales hit the toilet. Not so with a movie that's already in the can.

Comic audiences know these changes will never stick...but the general public may look at any of these changes as just a gimmick to go cheap, replacing popular actors with substitutes, and stay away in droves.

Chris
    I agree wholeheartedly, fellow Chris. Comics characters have been known to change like they were going through a revolving door, but a franchise such as THE AVENGERS is NOT likely to recast Anthony Mackie as Captain America or replace the current Hulk with an Asian Hulk because the public has come to know the people who play these characters AS these characters. Is that saying they couldn't recast these characters down the road? Sure they could and likely will, but I don't think MARVEL STUDIOS is in a hurry to do so. They've been able to see, first hand, through both the SPIDER-MAN and HULK franchises, that replacing the faces under the mask or the man inside of the monster does not always agree with the public at large.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
      I hadn't really thought about it until you said it, but, yeah, both Cap and Supes ARE the moral centers of their respective universes (at least they used to be, anyway). Chris Evans' portrayal of Cap perfectly captures that moral center whereas Henry Cavill's portrayal of Superman gave us a slightly more morally ambiguous character, largely in part, I think, due to the surprising moral ambiguity that his father showed him both in scolding him for using his abilities to save a bus full of children as well allowing himself to be killed by a tornado (still one of the singular stupidest ideas EVER birthed in the Superman mythos). Might Cavill's Superman become MORE of the moral true north in the DCU in and after the events of B v S? Guess we'll have to wait and see on that one...
      Yes -Superman "Used to be" the moral center. I doubt he will become more of in B v S, since it seems to be The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel story in which Supes has lost the moral center.

And YES, the J Kent dies by choice from the tornado, is the most unforgivable scene in MoS

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...odbye-just-yet

So glad to hear this, after so many folks saying he's done, he's going to die, blah, blah, etc. This comes straight from the horses' mouth. Evans is my favorite part of the MCU, so as long as he's onboard, I know I'm going to enjoy the films.

Chris

But doesn't he die in Civil War in the comics? Doesn't Buck become Cap? -and eventual Sam becomes Cap?

In the films is it merely a flesh wound? Didn't they use two films to set up Bucky as Cap, and Ironman as someone who needs stopped?

I imagine the movie centers around Starks involvement with Drones and Ultron are at the center of the concern rather than a hero registry.

I agree he is a great Captain America. I would love to see him go one, but they set it all up to go on without him.

I do realize he comes back to life in the comics (don't they all? -even Bucky).

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, he does a great job as Cap. I'd miss him if he left the part, so good news that he is staying! To me, Cap is the bond that holds the Avengers together, the heart and soul.
          Same for Ruffalo: he really captures the gentle nature of Banner; so I'd miss him, the first good portrayal of Banner since Bixby.

I'm not a fan of Downey, he is portraying Stark as if he's Marvel's funny man, and that's not like Stark at all. Can't wait for him and his ego to leave.

The rest of the cast do ok, but I wouldn't be sad if they left. Thor needs an actor that is a little less beachboy, and a little more angry Norse God.
          If Renner finally got a decent Hawkeye costume, I'd be happy.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            Thor needs an actor that is a little less beachboy, and a little more angry Norse God.
            If Renner finally got a decent Hawkeye costume, I'd be happy.
            LOL!!! Perfect on both counts!

Although I have to say (not picking on you specifically, Gorn) I'm surprised to be reading so much Downey backlash. I guess I'm not super invested in these Marvel films, but I think he's stayed pretty consistent, so I don't get why folks are turning on him. The one problem I have with his portrayal (and this is more of a writing thing), is that they never did the alcoholism story. I thought that was so central to Iron Man's character (like Daredevil's blindness). Too close to home for Downey with his substance abuse past, perhaps? But that woulda made it all the more believable.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hedji
              LOL!!! Perfect on both counts!

Although I have to say (not picking on you specifically, Gorn) I'm surprised to be reading so much Downey backlash. I guess I'm not super invested in these Marvel films, but I think he's stayed pretty consistent, so I don't get why folks are turning on him. The one problem I have with his portrayal (and this is more of a writing thing), is that they never did the alcoholism story. I thought that was so central to Iron Man's character (like Daredevil's blindness). Too close to home for Downey with his substance abuse past, perhaps? But that woulda made it all the more believable.
              I do believe that they kind of touched, albeit briefly, on the "Demon In A Bottle" storyline in IRON MAN II, didn't they...?
              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, briefly. But that was more of a one timey thing than an illness.

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

That is the most AWESOME news!! Chris is THE perfect Cap!!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
                    A Ray of Sunshine
                    • Jun 17, 2001

As a huge Cap fan I can't think of anyone who could replace him. He truly represents the character and come across as such!

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

Agreed that Chris Evans pretty much IS Captain America now, but when I first heard that they were doing a big screen, big budget version, my first thought of who could've played Cap was Josh Holloway from LOST. He's got that square, heroic jaw and would be pretty damn good in a MARVEL movie is some capacity, whether it be hero or villain...

image.jpg

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Hedji

Downey is just not my kind of guy. He doesn't play the character, he plays himself. Like in Sherlock Holmes: Holmes from the original stories is not at all like what Downey portrays.
                        They all become "funny men", no matter what character he plays.
                        I also don't like that they tend to show him as the "heart" of the Avengers. The Avengers is a team, a group, not Iron Man and friends.
                        I do agree that he's been consistent with the role. Consistently annoying...

Maybe I need to see someone about my Downey allergy....
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                          As I said before I really don't care much for any new superhero hero movies for the last 20-ish years with the exception of Captain America.

The character is so great and the actor just just so dang likeable

He really is a modern day Christopher Reeve
                          100% agreed. And, I too, am turned off by the majority of superhero movies. As I'm sure most regulars here know.

Chris Evans is a hero for PLAYING that hero that is SO hard for a writer and actor to sell in modern day film: That role of the "uber-powerful boy-scout" persona archetype.
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Downey is just not my kind of guy. He doesn't play the character, he plays himself. Like in Sherlock Holmes: Holmes from the original stories is not at all like what Downey portrays.
                            I also don't like that they tend to show him as the "heart" of the Avengers. The Avengers is a team, a group, not Iron Man and friends.

To me?

Evans/MCU Cap/Comicbook Cap are the heart of the fictional AND factual Avengers franchise over Downey/MCU Iron Man/Comicbook Iron Man---hands down.

Downey/MCU Iron Man/Comicbook Iron Man? They aren't so much the heart, as they are: BANK ROLL and MEDIA HYPE, etc.
                            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Oh I totally get you. He's an actor who's been on my dislike list for years (Back to School notwithstanding). But I think he fits the role as kind of an arse. Otherwise, they'd be in danger of him just being Marvel's Bruce Wayne. So, I've sort of come to love him for being annoying, which I think is what they want us to do. But Cap is Numero Uno. They just gotta get his first Avengers costume back. That was the coolest.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎