Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WAV
    • Jul 31, 2009

Cleaning ink off a Mego head?

I recently got a loose Iron Man off eBay. The only real issue is that there is what looks like someone took a pen and wrote the number '8' on the side of its head. I've tried cleaning it off will no success and am just wondering if there is a method someone could share for safely doing this. The mark is on the red part of the head, so I guess I'd have to try something that would remove the ink without affecting the red paint. I don't expect there is any way to do this, but thought I'd come here and see if there is some miracle method as I've gotten some amazing tips here before that I never would have thought of on my own.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Rubbing alcohol will remove ballpoint ink, it should not affect the red paint underneath. However, if it's been there a long time, the ink may have left a stain that is permanent.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• daz71
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2014

i had a kirk head that had the outline of a mask drawn on it with felt tip i tried everything nothing worked .i used white spirit and it took all the paint off but left the felt tip untouched.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

I've used this on vintage GiJoe heads and it works great. Takes beards and mustaches off. I have a couple of rare'ish African American Gijoes that had been bearded up and I can't even tell they had anything on them it did such a good job.

http://www.twinpines.com/remove-zit
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^ Can you use Remove-Zit on painted surfaces?
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            ^ Can you use Remove-Zit on painted surfaces?
            It probably will remove the paint.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• WAV
              • Jul 31, 2009

Thanks, I tried rubbing alcohol. It made it better, but there's still a stain that I guess is there for good.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

May sound weird (and a little smelly) but try combining the alcohol with a bit of WHITE vinegar and some hydrogen peroxide. I have found that combination removed things that is never thought would go away. And, unless you rub really hard, it shouldn't take paint off...
                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎