X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by hedrap
    So the model is x amounts of original parts per wave.

Why not repurpose Dorothy or Mary Ellen Walton then?
    I agree the Dorothy head or even Mary Ellen would have looked a lot better. The dress is really sloppy and the cape is yellow instead of white. I get using the yellow cape on the reissued Shazam, but why not make the correction with Mary Marvel. I guess as you point out, there were probably more leftover yellow capes.

I've been very pleased with the 66 line so far, but the WGH line has been pretty shoddy, suffering from poor paint applications, misfitting costumes, better but still wonky bodies and even more oven mitts. Just very odd choices and haphazard execution.

Comment

• jayraytee
      Career Member
      • May 27, 2011

Looks pretty bad. I had given up buying more of the FTC figures since they seem to focus on rehashes so much, I was holding out for the NEW characters. But if this is an example of what is to come for new characters, I think I am done with FTC completely. I am so glad they never got the Marvel License, I'd take quality over quantity any day.
      My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Random Axe
        The Voice of Reason
        • Apr 16, 2008

Anyone have a Mego-scale Ferrari of Lamborghini for sale? I can have Mary dance and spread over the hood just like Whitesnake's Still of the Night video. Now THAT would be a custom.
        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

Well i just bought a Mego Dorothy head for this figure when it comes out.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• jeffbearco
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 27, 2011

I actually "get" this figure. The yellow cape and yellow Supergirl shoes come from trying to make her blend in with the original Mego figures, which is what the Kresge card figures are supposed to be. The head sculpt for me works because it can be reused for several incarnations of Mary Marvel. They can do the white outfit and the black outfit and not do new head sculpts. In white she was supposed to be mature but still very good. In black she was supposed to be more like Black Adam. This face can work for all 3. I just hope they don't do the black pig tails coming from all parts of her head. Not her best look. As for head size, I don't see this as being Alfred big. The hair helps a lot to pull it into scale. And they may yet go with a more brown color for the final release.

As for the outfit, I have purchased other figures where the original prototype looked sloppy but the final result was nicely tight and looked good. So I'm willing to wait for the final result on that. The pieces are there. We just have to wait and not bash things too bad before the final release. Hopefully the lightning bolt does not overlap the belt in the final result as well.

I am hoping that they fix a couple of things for the Shazam wave, such as the cape and shoes. I do think she would look better using the new Robin shoes done in yellow. But for the Kresge card wave, I think this is a good match for the Kresge Captain Marvel. I'm not in love with it, but I see what they were trying to accomplish.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by JediJaida
              Dorothy and ME belong to other licences/franchises, but I'd like to see new heads with those sculpts.

Dorothy might be a better sculpt for MM, with a sweeter, more innocent face.

ME would have made a better Leela IMO. The one that was made was horrid.
              With Dorothy, I don't think copyright would apply after a paint and hair change for a 40-y/old mold as long as it wasn't advertised as "Judy Garland as..." I know Mary Ellen wouldn't. The Waltons hasn't been a brand since '74.

Who did the Dinah repaint? Bring him the head of Dorothy Garcia!

Who gets that reference?

Comment

• jeffbearco
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 27, 2011

I notice nobody suggested using Daisey Duke's head...

As bad as some of you think it is, you aren't going that far.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

As I said, I don't think it's bad, just *IMO* inappropriate. FTC has offered the IG head in several hair colors for some time--I'm thrilled with this and advocate them using it. Plus, as a copy, it's already scaled properly. I can certainly see it used for blond Black Canary or redheaded Poison Ivy.

I just don't think it suits Mary Marvel--I think she should have featured a brown-haired Gals head, to jibe with Supergirl and Wonder Woman. Luckily, FTC offers this, too, so a substitution is possible.

FTC has three generic female heads available now, and could likely copy Dorothy and Mary Elllen, too. And each of these can be painted in a huge variety of ways--that's a lot of options for characters.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• JediJaida
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 14, 2008

I'd like them to fix the problem with the Maya head, while they are at it. It's a beautifully sculpted head, but it's SO big, it falls off of the figure!

As for Dorothy heads and Mary Ellen, they would be welcome additions in different hair colors/paint apps.
                    JediJaida

Comment

• tllgn
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 6, 2010

I like this Mary marvel figure,ill buy 2 of them and 2 Harley quinns as well ,I admit after 40 years of looking at the Invisible girl the head ,it will
                      take a while to get use to her doubling for Mary .This is the first marvel to dc sculpt since Shazam/Peter parker which was dc to marvel head in
                      over 40 years -interesting .Mego often used the same heads for different charactors. This works for me ,Since FTC had the heads its no suprise
                      that they would use it .at least its not the Supergirl head again ,We already have that in Supergirl,Wonder women,Jane ,and soon Lois lane .as
                      much as i like that extra mego touch with supergirls slippers ,they probably should have used something else.those are gonna get lost if
                      people take them out,and every one of these gals will have them loose in their package ,kinda like Barbara from Night of the living dead.Very nice
                      figure kudos to FTC .Hope she makes it this year.

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

I wonder if we can get a new Mr. Fantastic head in different shades?
                        JediJaida

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^I'd like that.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• comicmike
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 22, 2009

I love the Lois Lane paintjob. I think she would have been a better head and face choice, with brown hair of course.

The JLA Captain Marvel prototype cape looked so promising.

I manipulated the enclosed pic to demonstrate how easily and on-model the Kresge-style Mary Marvel could have been assembled:

Comment

• OCSuperman
                              Museum Patron
                              • Sep 4, 2014

This "doctored" Mary Marvel looks great ... I think it's all in the face ... she looks younger/"sweeter" ... to be honest the reddish hair looks better with this face ... wow!

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by hedrap

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡