X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 34: Disappointing Merchandise

This month's topic is some of the disappointing toy lines that have stemmed from our more beloved properties over the years.

It's totally done out of love (as we both freely admit we bought and still own a lot of this stuff) but we talk about toys for Men in Black, the Phantom, Star Trek 4 and 5, Space:1999, Superman the movie, Doctor Who and much, much more.

Download the Show Here

Listen here

Plenty more content on the PodStallions Facebook page!

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

This oughta be good.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Oh hell yeah! Going to iTunes NOW!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Great episode, but I'd like to add two words to the mix: Dick Tracy

I think the Dick Tracy line jumps out at me as the "why did they think kids wanted THAT" example more than any other toy line I can think of. I know this was Playmates coming off TMNT, but to create super-deformed, almost MOTU-like figures, and sell them as "cops and robbers" was just like someone who had been living in a cave since 1983 was in charge of that line. The cars in that line were really nice though, and I wish I'd snagged one to make a 1940s Batmobile.

On the Superman: The Movie line, my guess has always been they had the rights to the comic characters, but cheated a bit by sneaking in psuedo-actor likenesses. I'd bet the Salkinds had those rights, as really, WB was just the distributor on that film, and didn't own it outright at first. The Luthor and Zod look particularly like Hackman and Stamp, me thinks. Oddly enough, General Zod never wore that outfit in the comics, either!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I can't find this one at iTunes. It comes up on my phone, but then says the link is invalid when I click on it.

Also, when I click on either link above, I simply get playback, not the ability to download.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Bantha5
            Museum Super Collector
            • May 2, 2013

Originally posted by Wee67
            I can't find this one at iTunes. It comes up on my phone, but then says the link is invalid when I click on it.

Also, when I click on either link above, I simply get playback, not the ability to download.
            Same thing happen to me.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I jiggled the handle hopefully that works. If not I'll have to get my thinking hat on.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

OK now there's two on itunes. Enjoy!
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Has anyone ever noted that Jason sounds like Patton Oswalt? Great episode BTW.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

I kinda like the Superman movie figures. Well at least Lex has his Super friends costume.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 28, 2008

I really enjoyed this, and I appreciated the distinction you made between finding a line disappointing but still liking or collecting it.

The LJN Temple of Doom line stands out in my memory as the first time I felt disappointed by seeing a toy line in the store. We were in a Kay-Bee store in the mall, and I saw the Indy figure and immediately wondered why on earth they didn't match the Kenner line. At that time, I was really into the idea of toys matching in scale, and I was very disappointed that these newer toys couldn't be played with along with the Raiders figures.

As you were saying, I was starved enough for Doctor Who merchandise that I was excited by the Dapol line. There was a certain charm to it, especially in the first wave, but by the time they got to the Troughton statuette, it had really lost its way.
                      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        Great episode, but I'd like to add two words to the mix: Dick Tracy

I think the Dick Tracy line jumps out at me as the "why did they think kids wanted THAT" example more than any other toy line I can think of. I know this was Playmates coming off TMNT, but to create super-deformed, almost MOTU-like figures, and sell them as "cops and robbers" was just like someone who had been living in a cave since 1983 was in charge of that line. The cars in that line were really nice though, and I wish I'd snagged one to make a 1940s Batmobile.

On the Superman: The Movie line, my guess has always been they had the rights to the comic characters, but cheated a bit by sneaking in psuedo-actor likenesses. I'd bet the Salkinds had those rights, as really, WB was just the distributor on that film, and didn't own it outright at first. The Luthor and Zod look particularly like Hackman and Stamp, me thinks. Oddly enough, General Zod never wore that outfit in the comics, either!

Chris
                        loved Dick Tracy as a kid and still do
                        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          Has anyone ever noted that Jason sounds like Patton Oswalt? Great episode BTW.
                          Not intending to be rude, but I could devote a whole thread to some of Jason's quirks that amuse me. I mean that with warmth and affection. (For example, his pronunciation of "Robot")

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                            I jiggled the handle hopefully that works. If not I'll have to get my thinking hat on.
                            Yep, it works great now. Thanks for the jig.... wait, that sounds really dirty.
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by toys2cool
                              loved Dick Tracy as a kid and still do
                              I agree. When the film came out, I was excited at all the attention the character got, but the toys were a little bit of a letdown. Besides the TMNT/MOTU style for the figures, the choices (Tracy in shirtsleeves and not in a sports coat, much less the yellow trench coat) meant that I found some of the figurines (which I found in a Cracker Barrel) had more appeal to me.
                              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎