Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gadgeteer
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 16, 2014

Cyrano Jones and a BUNCH of Tribbles would be a for sure buy for me!
    I think there have been some great ideas for this line, a couple new figures and a shuttlecraft!
    EMCE it's been 50 years of one of the cornerstones in sci fi let's go crazy.
    sigpic

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
      Cyrano is a great character, I'd certainly buy one (with a complimentary bag of Tribbles, of course).
      But would he sell sufficiently?
      As a company that needs to make a profit, I wouldn't give the figure the green light. Cyrano would be a peg warmer until well into the 23rd century...
      Yet FTC will make Shame---and there's Wendy and Marvin in the pipeline (or at least that's what I hear). On TOP of that---I'd never have "green-lighted" a Shame for the same reason you make for Cyrano, yet I'd assume Wendy/Marvin would sell better than Shame because of their pivotal roles which usually translates into "nostalgic recognition" and sales.

Originally posted by newlyknighted
      I would buy Cyrano Jones in a New York minute! Great character huedell!
      I'm assuming he is The nod is appreciated regardless! It may be more of a personal thing for us than I thought---and there's the rub! The more personal---the less sense it makes for EMCE to approach him, of course.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      I don't think ST:TOS fans have anything against Cyrano Jones--there have been at least two great customs of him here that I recall. .
      I have seen at least one or two great Cyrano customs as well----and I may just have to attempt commissioning one soon!

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Rather, it's probably that "human" characters like Mudd and Trelane are flashier and resonate with fans a bit more. I'd welcome a Jones, but not before certain others.
      Favorite characters can be idiosyncratic: I really want FTC to do a Black Orchid figure, but not before Black Canary or Zatanna.
      And if Cyrano is a Black Orchid while Trelane is a Black Canary, then thanks for that analogy because I wasn't too sure on that.

I am a casual TOS fan---maybe they are marketing to hardcore fans only---frankly, I'm not sure. But I will say I don't retain many TOS in my head---ex: wouldn't know Trelane, if it wasn't for Museum members.

Cyrano, on the other hand, IMHO is inherently memorable----his visage is quirky and colorful----and the idea that his logical pack-in is a few fuzzy balls that are Tribbles, one of the most iconic Trek things, I assume that'd be a plus.

He is fondly remembered from an additional appearance (less flashy, yet resembling the Cyrano actor's physical features) on the animated Trek series----and I think that's an understated aspect of why a more casual TOS fan like me is looking for a Cyrano figure.

That said: I'd never forgive myself for pushing for a character that ultimately hurt a line. That's actually my main reason for complaints in any line for any reason---it's to avoid pitfalls and keep the given line going as long as is business-profit possible!
      Last edited by huedell; Sep 5, '15, 7:32 PM.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• drogge
        Career Member
        • Jul 24, 2009

I have bought all the reissues, but I am thinking these will have some variance, whether packaging of costume - I am all in. Hopefully supporting these will result in the release of Vina and Nurse Chapel, or any other non yet produced figure. There are a lot of colorful and unique figures left in the Trek world. I watch the old episodes on MeTV and see all kinds of possibilities in each episode. EMCE has barely scratched the surface.
        Last edited by drogge; Sep 9, '15, 4:41 PM.

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by huedell
          Cyrano, on the other hand, IMHO is inherently memorable----his visage is quirky and colorful----and the idea that his logical pack-in is a few fuzzy balls that are Tribbles, one of the most iconic Trek things, I assume that'd be a plus.

He is fondly remembered from an additional appearance (less flashy, yet resembling the Cyrano actor's physical features) on the animated Trek series----and I think that's an understated aspect of why a more casual TOS fan like me is looking for a Cyrano figure.
          Yes - I think that if I were to pick which characters to do, one criteria would be if they appeared in more than one episode (including the animated series). That puts Sarek and Amanda, Harry Mudd, and even Cyrano Jones high on the list.

--SKot
          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

ahh, Cyrano Jones, the Norm Peterson of space.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Gadgeteer
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 16, 2014

Started army building my Klingons, I can't wait for this!
              sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                ahh, Cyrano Jones, the Norm Peterson of space.
                An analogy with so many possibilities...

....and I'll guess the actual analogous meaning there isn't "fat guys"...

... nor is it "key characters in iconic episodes of their series" or "underhanded--- yet adorable" or "Pseudonyms that J.J. Abrams has used".
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by huedell
                  An analogy with so many possibilities...

....and I'll guess the actual analogous meaning there isn't "fat guys"...

... nor is it "key characters in iconic episodes of their series" or "underhanded--- yet adorable" or "Pseudonyms that J.J. Abrams has used".
                  inactive comedy relief, I can think of a lot more Trek figures that should be done waaay ahead of this guy.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Gadgeteer
                    Cyrano Jones and a BUNCH of Tribbles would be a for sure buy for me!
                    I think there have been some great ideas for this line, a couple new figures and a shuttlecraft!
                    EMCE it's been 50 years of one of the cornerstones in sci fi let's go crazy.
                    Rachel aka mainedreams on Ebay did this custom and I'd gladly pay for a production figure of similar quality.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Rachel is in our CustoMego facebook group, lots of clever Trek customs.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

She definitely has a great eye for re-purposing, and added with her other talents she has done a great job of extending the Trekverse in 8" scale. I have a whole list of her ideas that I hope to steal.

Comment

• SKotK
                          Career Member
                          • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                          Rachel aka mainedreams on Ebay did this custom and I'd gladly pay for a production figure of similar quality.
                          That's amazingly good, especially the head. I'd buy that.

--SKot
                          Last edited by SKotK; Sep 10, '15, 11:14 AM. Reason: No need to show the photo twice!
                          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

Now that's a high quality custom. Great work. She should be doing the prototypes for companies!
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

I have these customs including Cyrano Jones with box, the Happy Day's Dad seems to be a good likness for him,
                              I do have tribbles but didn't include in pic, probably should have.

It would be nice if EMCE added some new characters/villans for 2016

Comment

• JediJaida
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 14, 2008

I still want a Female Romulan Commander, as well as the First Romulan Commander that we saw in 'Balance of Terror'. He could always double as a Sarek head.

I have been hoping and praying and WANTING those for YEARS!!!
                                JediJaida

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎