Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who makes protective cases for carded 8" Mego Star Trek figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKotK
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2014

Who makes protective cases for carded 8" Mego Star Trek figures?

I had posted this originally over on the Packaging sub-thread, but it hasn't been getting any traffic so I thought I would post it here:

What sources are out there currently for clamshell cases for the classic 8" carded Star Trek figures? I want to buy a full set to house my current and future figures.

The best possibility I've seen so far is Zoloworld.com. I've since ordered 6 of them and they are adequate...but since they are designed to house a variety of action figures, they are not ideally sized for Mego 8" figures. The carded figures fit inside the cases, but there's a lot of extra room: there is probably at least 4-5" of space above the top of the card, and the bubble protector is double-wide with a lot of extra space between the bubble and the outside of the case. They're good cases other than that (and the fact that they don't snap closed all the way in a couple of spots).

Is there someone out there who makes cases that fit more snugly around 8" Mego Star Trek? What other vendors currently do these kind of cases?

--SKot
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Did you try Dr. Mego? I'm pretty sure he has protective cases for carded mego's couldn't
    hurt to contact him and ask, even if he doesn't, he may be able to tell you where you can
    get them. I know FTC has different variety of cases, but I don't know exact measurements
    and how good the quality is.

Comment

• SKotK
      Career Member
      • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by tjacwave50
      Did you try Dr. Mego? I'm pretty sure he has protective cases for carded mego's couldn't
      hurt to contact him and ask, even if he doesn't, he may be able to tell you where you can
      get them. I know FTC has different variety of cases, but I don't know exact measurements
      and how good the quality is.
      The clamshell cases Dr. Mego has on his site apparently do not fit the original carded Mego figures...they are made for the EMCE retro figures. Whether or not he has produced ones that fit the original Megos I don't know, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'll have to drop him a line.

--SKot

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• megoapesnut
        The name says it all!
        • Dec 3, 2007

Great guy named Oscar in Mexico will make acrylic cases any size you need. He made just about all of the cases I own. I had some Star Trek Aliens carded figures some years ago and Oscar made those for me. I can get his email address for you tomorrow.

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by megoapesnut
          Great guy named Oscar in Mexico will make acrylic cases any size you need. He made just about all of the cases I own. I had some Star Trek Aliens carded figures some years ago and Oscar made those for me. I can get his email address for you tomorrow.
          Hmm...well, I've seen some sites that do acrylic cases, but honestly I'm not that into the acrylic ones. Although with the higher-end carded ones, they're not a bad idea for maximum protection.

--SKot

Comment

• actjac01
            Veteran Member
            • May 17, 2009

I have used Paul's (aka Dr. Mego) case for all my original Mego figures.
            Not only do they fit, but the original cards fit as well.
            Very good quality, and you can remove your figures any time you want.
            "...You can capture the Klingon & bring him back to the Enterprise!"

Comment

• SKotK
              Career Member
              • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by actjac01
              I have used Paul's (aka Dr. Mego) case for all my original Mego figures.
              Not only do they fit, but the original cards fit as well.
              And the bubble as well? Or just the flat cards without the bubble?

--SKot

Comment

• daz71
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2014

the bubble too .ftc's have a deep bubble but are not as wide as doc mego's.

Comment

• boss
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 18, 2003

Oscar is the way to go.
                  Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• zorro
                    Resident member
                    • Nov 3, 2007

I am actually revising the Mego case into our next run. This will be ideal again for the 8" Mego figures. Chips fit perfectly, but there is a space above the card that was not intended. We spolved the problem and will have it in our next manufacturing run.
                    Website for rare and exciting figures for the 1950s to present, now featuring MANY Action Figure Protective Clamshell cases -- ZoloWorld.com

Find us on facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/ZoloWorldcom/180282916241

Check out REALM OF THE UNDERWORLD 5 3/4" Retro Action Figure Fantasy Series.
                    http://www.underworldfigures.com

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎