Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I didn't know he was unproduced--any links Chris? I always thought of El Dorado as the sorcerous SuperFriend who got short shrift.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Magenta
      • Apr 21, 2013

Originally posted by Hedji
      Dang, I love/hate this style guide.

I love it, because Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is so good at drawing superhero anatomy it's scary. I mean, he really is a master. If you're going to do a style guide, you could do a lot worse. These are gorgeous images.

I hate it, because... well... I hate the idea of style guides. I understand why in a modern market they are needed, but I'm always saddened when the door slams shut on off-model interpretations (or extrapolations) of our heroes and interests.

So, even though I love these images, I'm glad this didn't exist in the Mego era. Then we would have never gotten the Infantino, Swan, Adams, and other interpretations that adorned the box art. AHI's parachutists and such would be far less interesting without their kitchy, goofy art.

I wish style guides would go away. They're far too homogeneous for my tastes.
      Not for me. This is exactly how I want the characters to look...EVEN today. I think the new art sucks as well as the costumes. Bring back 1982 forever! In fact I have not bought a comic since 1998 because of the terrible changes to the characters and costumes.
      Last edited by Magenta; Aug 26, '15, 7:47 PM.

Comment

• TomStrong
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2011

These are DC Comics! If somebodybsaves them all into one folder please let me know. It would save some time.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

I grabbed them all if someone would like me to upload them I can.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

Alright, I uploaded them here:
            http://www.theflatearth.net/dc1982/

Here's a zip file with all of them:
            http://www.theflatearth.net/dc1982/DC1982.zip
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

So much win.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• mlowitt
                • Aug 26, 2014

Here's a PDF in no particular order.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Magenta
                  Not for me. This is exactly how I want the characters to look...EVEN today. I think the new art sucks as well as the costumes. Bring back 1982 forever! In fact I have not bought a comic since 1998 because of the terrible changes to the characters and costumes.
                  I agree, I'd love for the characters to look like this today in the comics, but I find most modern style guides to be too restricting for merchandising. They ought to call them stifle guides.

This raises a good question... was this style guide intended for merchandising or for comic book artists to abide by? I was under the impression it was for merch.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

I really miss the DC characters looking like that.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

With the proper equipment and experience, I could see some very cool looking wall posters.

Comment

• scott metzger
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Hedji
                        Dang, I love/hate this style guide.

I love it, because Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is so good at drawing superhero anatomy it's scary. I mean, he really is a master. If you're going to do a style guide, you could do a lot worse. These are gorgeous images.
                        Couldn't agree more. And it's not just the static images; he was a master of layout and design, as well. his work is basically a textbook of how to draw comic books. I don't think they could have picked anyone better to do so much of the official DC art for the merchandising at the time. Such a blast seeing his work again.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^ Absolutely: check out the Aquaman/seahorse group shot. Superb.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Actorman
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Oct 4, 2010

Originally posted by Magenta
                            I totally agree with you Magenta. One of the biggest reasons I don't care for current comics is the total lack of consistency in how the characters look from book to book (sometimes even issue to issue). I miss the days when no matter what title you picked up, each character looked essentially the same across the line regardless of the artist. That is how it should be.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎