Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Action Jose The Kung Fu Man: Image of the Basic Figure discovered.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 18, 2015

Action Jose The Kung Fu Man: Image of the Basic Figure discovered.

I found this on http://www.vintage3djoes.com/ on their new article on the Hasbro Morgue, a wearhouse where Hasbro kept all it's unsold GI Joe and Super Joe products along with foreign GI Joe, Including Action Man, and, apparently Action Jose. The question is, what was Hasbro doing with unsold Jose products? The article can be found here: http://www.vintage3djoes.com/the-hasbro-morgue.html
    Last edited by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip; Aug 19, '15, 4:17 PM.
    The hands that grip.
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Great eye!

Comment

Veteran Member
      • Jun 18, 2015

More Hasbro Morgue picture reveal (as one eagle-eyed poster on the forum pointed out) More Action Jose plus another odditie: a muscle bodie GI Joe carded on Defenders packaging. (on the far right side of image, 2nd to the top.)
      Last edited by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip; Aug 20, '15, 4:06 PM.
      The hands that grip.

Comment

Veteran Member
        • Jun 18, 2015

Originally posted by AAAAA
        when it was decided to shrink Joe down to 10 inches for 1976 management ordered all remaining 12 inch Joe stock to
        go out on defender cards. at the last minute the 10 inch line was canceled for another year of the 12 inch figues
        The intruder, the big trapper ,avenger pursuit craft , capture copter were the items that survive aborted reboot.
        any way several shipments of Defender Joe made it to stores!!
        A message I got from AAAAA explains what the GI Joe on Defenders packaging is.
        Last edited by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip; Aug 21, '15, 8:59 AM.
        The hands that grip.

Comment

• LoneJim
          • May 16, 2013

Is there any info about this guy?

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Those are amazing photos! Oh how I would love to walk right into that display scene.

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

'Assorted Dresses' for the action figure??? I wonder how no one noticed that little gaffe, or said anything about it back then.

It should have said 'Assorted Outfits', instead.
              JediJaida

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

Wow that is awesome!!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I picked this one up on ebay: Action Jose Archaeologists outfit

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Capt Kirk
                    Museum Patron
                    • Jan 15, 2005

Mmm hmm. Well, my head just exploded.

Great photo!
                    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                      More Hasbro Morgue picture reveal (as one eagle-eyed poster on the forum pointed out) More Action Jose plus another odditie: a muscle bodie GI Joe carded on Defenders packaging. (on the far right side of image, 2nd to the top.)
                      I don't think the muscle body is carded. I think it is hanging in a plastic bag in front of the Defenders package. It looks like something cloth is packaged, and Joe is just dangling in the right spot to look like he's packaged. I could be wrong. It might just have his shorts up by his head. Maybe the package is in the plastic bag, but it doesn't look like it.
                      Last edited by LonnieFisher; Nov 2, '16, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Okay, upon further examination, I deduce the figure and package are both in a plastic bag. The figure is loose, and an article of clothing is packaged. The figure is in the corner of the bag, right in front of the clothing's blister. It looks like it is inside the blister, but it's an illusion due to position. The feet are outside the blister and pressing against the bottom of the bag, clearly. Sorry to ruin somebodies discovery, but I'm positive it isn't a carded figure.
                        Then again, two cards above it is a carded figure. One on the same style card. You can see his feet.
                        Last edited by LonnieFisher; Nov 2, '16, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• Neutron X
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 22, 2007

Hi,
                          Sorry to say this because old photos are tricky and do things to the eye. I have stared at this pic a lot. That pic is indeed a Muscle body Land Adv on Defenders card. A little know fact is at the end Hasbro was blowing out old stock as they prepared to rebrand Gijoe. They were thinking of using the 10in scale before going to the smaller Super Joe scale, there are even Muscle body Joes with Bulletman hands molded in flesh color.(There are bogus ones out there but the rivit will always tell) If you look up above the figure you can see the depth of bubble is big enough for the figure. The Defenders uniform cards are smaller roughly magazine size and have different artwork. Hope this helps.
                          Internet pic:

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Wonderful photo! To me it looks like the figure is inside a bubble but the whole thing is in a plastic bag. Perhaps his feet had pushed out of the bottom of the bubble (which could explain what appears to be extra headroom at the top of the bubble). That isn't just a carded outfit with a loose figure in front of it, as the size and artwork of the card is clearly for figures not the outfits. I wish I could go into that room through the photo, seeing all that Super Joe merchandise is making me swoon!

Comment

• Neutron X
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 22, 2007

I think you are right and the feet have pushed through the plastic.This picture is so cool! I love this pic! What's really amazing is that this is what was leftover after the warehouse flood. Imagine what was lost!

Did you see the Hasbro Polaroids of prototype Joe items recently on Ebay? There is a cave headquarters in one Polaroid that looks to be for Darklon?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎