X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

R.I.P. Yvonne Craig

I'm devastated to hear that Yvonne Craig has passed away. This is just horrible. I'm gutted by this news.

YVONNE CRAIG

May 16, 1937 – August 17, 2015

Yvonne Craig passed away at her home in Pacific Palisades, surrounded by her immediate family and comforted by Hospice yesterday night. She died from complications brought about from breast cancer that had metastasized to her liver. She is survived by her husband, Kenneth Aldrich, her sister Meridel Carson and nephews Christopher and Todd Carson. A private service is being planned with no date set at the present time. In lieu of flowers, please make donations to:The Angeles Clinic Foundatin by mail at 2001 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404 or by going into their website at http://www.theangelesclinicfoundation.org and following the “Donate” link.

Yvonne Craig began her theatrical career as the youngest member of The Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo and toured for three years when she was accidentally discovered by John Ford’s son Patrick and cast for the lead in the movie The Young Land.

This was quickly followed by many years of film and television including two movies with Elvis Presley (It happened at the World’s Fair and Kissin Cousins). However, she is probably best known for originating the role as Batgirl in the 1966 TV series of Batman, or for her character “Marta” from the third season of Star Trek in the episode Whom God’s Destroy where she played the well remembered insane green Orion Slave Girl who wanted to kill Captain Kirk.

Over a span of years she appeared as a guest star in many television series, including The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, The Six Million Dollar Man,Land of the Giants, Mod Squad, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, LoveAmerican Style, Emergency, and Courtship of Eddie’s Father just to name a few and worked opposite Bing Crosby, Sal Mineo, Don Knotts, George Hamilton, Dwayne Hickman, Dennis Hopper as well as Elvis Presley and James Coburn.

Her next career was that of a real estate broker where she was involved not only in commercial real estate, but also residential income properties for a period of years and still held a real estate license.

Yvonne and her sister, Meridel went into the prepaid phone card business at its inception producing phone cards for charitable events as well as promotional phone cards for the Paramount film Clueless and both Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny cards for Warner Bros. stores, as well as many charitable organizations for fundraisers.

In 2000, Ms. Craig wrote a book of anecdotal memoirs, From Ballet to the Batcave and Beyond, which covered some of her years in the ballet and her theatrical career.

She actively did voice over work including voicing the role of Grandma in the 2009 Olivia cartoon series for Nickelodeon, and she was recently Executive Producer for the documentary feature film BIRTH.

She and her husband have traveled extensively all over the world, preferring adventure type travel, which has taken them to many countries through the years, and back to Africa seven times.

Yvonne has been involved with social work as well as philanthropic work through the years, and was a public voice to support worker unions and equal pay for woman, as well as supporting free mammograms for women who cannot afford them.

She and her husband have also been advocates of education and long time supporters of education on all levels. They are actively involved with the Phillips Brooks House Association at Harvard, the Harvard Graduate School of Education, two different charter schools, and the Liberal Education for Arts Professionals out of St. Mary’s College of California better known as LEAP. She also volunteered time and tutored and mentored disadvantaged students.
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

This is a total shocker, I had no idea she was even that sick!

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Devastating news.

The only gal to beat Dawn Wells for cutest girl of the 60's

RIP

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Holy crap...this is a shocker...
        sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

She lead a good life, but still very sad. Another of the icons....

...man, when Roy Scheider died, I suddenly realized how heavy the upcoming years were going to be, since we're the TV generation and have had more celebrities than anyone else in the history of mankind.

Comment

• phil
            Persistent Member
            • May 11, 2007

Shocked and saddened.

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

I got her autograph at the Men in the Masks tour some years ago. As it was a Star Wars event, the SW guys were swamped and she sat there with almost nobody there. She was the only reason I was there so I bypassed the hour+ line and got to talk with her for a bit. I had a custom made lobby card a friend got for me which showed more of her Trek costume than most of the pictures she got to sign. She said she had the opportunity to keep the costume, but was glad now that she didn't.

She told 2 stories I liked. The first was how on her last day sitting in the makeup chair, a 3 hour process each morning, she fell asleep on Friday and did not discover until she got home and started bathing that they had shaved her eyebrows off. As it was her last day of shooting, she wasn't going back and couldn't do anything about it. The other was from an interview in Starlog where the interviewer had got her autograph at a car show where she was touring with the Batmobile and Batcycle. She commented that that was among the few legit autographs of hers out there, because Paramount never ever sent her anything to sign, so if you sent something to the studio for her to sign and got it back signed, it is a fake.. This heavily influenced how I viewed getting autographs after I read it.

She also very strictly controlled he use of her image, which is why there was never a Marta action figure. One of the card companies used her image in a card set believing that they could and got sued for it. Not to be irreverent but maybe now we might get that figure. (Hello Funko?)

CCC.

Comment

• tllgn
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 6, 2010

SHOCKED ,i cant believe shes gone ,Great actress ,I met her when she came to portland ore for -i think it was rose-con back in 88 89 or so
                ill have to check ,She was wonderful sat next to her for a picture ,its in my photo album .Oh this is terrible i love that gal ,on tv and seeing her in person .
                sad very sad ,I was always hoping to see her again and get her autograph again at perhaps comic -con ,like i did with adam west & Burt ward .
                i pray for her family .

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 12, 2004

Very sad news and completely unexpected.

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

awesome lady, awesome life.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

I saw this earlier in one of the other threads. This news is truly saddening, for me ranking right up there with the passage of Leonard Nimoy. Both individuals were tremendous influences on the psyche of a young man growing up in the 70s, both for different reasons, of course. I pray that Ms. Craig's passage into that good night was a peaceful and serene one as she was surrounded by friends and loved ones. Rest easy, Yvonne, your memory will live on forever...
                      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• trekman101
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 6, 2009

WOW....what a shock
                        "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 26, 2008

RIP Batgirl...no other actress, cartoon version or action figure has ever come close to being such an awesome Batgirl to me..
                          Chad

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

OMG!! I can't believe it! That's so sad. I got to meet her and got her autograph at Anaheim Wondercon some years ago. She was so nice, and still beautiful. This is truly a sad day for Batfans everywhere. RIP Yvonne. You are loved and will be deeply missed.
                            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Grimjohn
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 28, 2011

This one has hit me the hardest of the recent celebrity deaths. She was such a gracious and classy lady. Rest in peace Yvonne.
                              My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎