Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

I had a couple of days off this week and I picked up the paperback on Thursday Afternoon as an impulse buy. Started reading about 2PM and without staying up late that night, I finished about 9:30 AM on Friday. I blew through it because I found the story to be a lot of fun. Lots of 80s pop-culture references and a celebration of all things nerdy, of course, but I am at that stage of life where I enjoy consuming all those things in large quantity, so it felt like a perfect indulgence. Been a long time since I could sit and focus like that.

I wouldn't call it a great work of literature or anything close, but I did enjoy it. Definitely looking forward to watching the big screen version next weekend.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

I enjoyed the book. It will be interesting to see how well Spielberg and Cline have managed to adapt it for the big screen.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 18, 2007

Well if you enjoyed the book.......the movie is nothing like it. WOW. Saw it tonight, I almost walked out to make sure I was in the right theatre. Sooooooooo much different. It was hard to enjoy it because, I was like....was that in the book? where did that come from. I will go see it a second time to see if I enjoy the movie instead of a Movie based on a book I liked.

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

Saw it today. It's been a couple of years since I read the book so I was having trouble remembering what was and what wasn't in the book. I got the book because I loved all the Dungeons and Dragons references I saw. That played no part in this adaptation, mostly going with pop culture references from tv and movies.

I didn't not like it, but I can say it felt nothing like any Spielburg movie I've seen. I am a big Spielburg fan and always wait to feel that magic at some point that he seems to be able to tap into for me, but it didn't happen here.

I'm not going to spoil anything, but will say there are tons of throwback references (of course), more than you could possibly spot without freezing frames.

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

My son and I watched this today. I had not read the book, so I didn't have a lot to go by going into the movie. Honestly I did enjoy it quite a bit. Tons on 80's references, 80's music etc... Some plot issues, but it was a fun movie to watch. It is rather long, but I didn't find myself looking at the time, it moves pretty quickly.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

Never heard of the book and just saw the trailer. Player two has just left the building. Wow, that was bad.
              You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Saw it today. I had read the book, well, listened to the Audiobook read by Will Wheaton.

This movie is delightful. It's nothing earth shattering, but just enjoy it. You'd have to be in a grumpy mood to not get enjoyment from this flick.

Alan Silvestri delivers his best score in ages, and it's mixed prominently.

I like this quote from the author, Ernest Cline:

“If Willy Wonka was a video-game designer instead of a candy maker and he held his golden ticket contest inside the world’s greatest video game — that’s the essence of what the story is.”

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I went and saw it yesterday. I liked it. so many cool references. plus how cool is it to see so many of these great characters/vehicles/worlds merging together in this thing. I think it's a movie you need to see more than once to really appreciate it all. it's too much to take in all at once. I got so distracted trying to place the spell they were using for the impenetrable shield. I had to google it on site and then could not read it on my phone cause it was too dark and I did not have my glasses, lol. I did finally remember where it was from, just took me a little while, repeating it over and over in my head

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    I went and saw it yesterday. I liked it. so many cool references. plus how cool is it to see so many of these great characters/vehicles/worlds merging together in this thing. I think it's a movie you need to see more than once to really appreciate it all. it's too much to take in all at once. I got so distracted trying to place the spell they were using for the impenetrable shield. I had to google it on site and then could not read it on my phone cause it was too dark and I did not have my glasses, lol. I did finally remember where it was from, just took me a little while, repeating it over and over in my head
                    Took my kids to see it yesterday for their last day of break. Enjoyed it, but I have not read the book. We will watch it again when it's available for home viewing I am sure.

Comment

• LordMudd
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 22, 2011

I saw it over the weekend. First movie in a looooooong time I actually considered seeing in the theatre again. A feast for the eyes.

CCC.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                        Often invisible
                        • Jul 18, 2002

I saw the movie, but I didn't read the book. The movie is enjoyable due to the references, but predicable and I lost interest about half-way thru.
                        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                          Career Member
                          • Aug 29, 2007

Regardless of whether you loved it or just liked it, did it feel like a Steven Spielberg movie to you guys?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by YoungOnce
                            Regardless of whether you loved it or just liked it, did it feel like a Steven Spielberg movie to you guys?
                            The ending sure did.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• LordMudd
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 22, 2011

Started playing with my Legos and just couldn't stop.

Player 1 ready!

CCC.

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
                                Career Member
                                • Jul 30, 2012

Originally posted by LordMudd
                                Started playing with my Legos and just couldn't stop.

Player 1 ready!

CCC.
                                That is really cool.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎