Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More '70s birthday toy pics - '75 & '78 edition!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • El Hombre Nuclear
    Museum Super Collector
    • Sep 5, 2014

More '70s birthday toy pics - '75 & '78 edition!

I've been scanning in masses of childhood photos lately, so here are a couple more in the same vein, since people seem to enjoy them.

Pic 1: From birthday '78, I believe. You'll have to squint your eyes a little to catch all the toys, a common theme with my mother, as she was fixated on taking pictures of wrapped gifts BEFORE they were opened, so it's often like searching for a needle in a haystack to find ones that actually show stuff unwrapped.

Directly to my left, you can see a random pile of figures. These include both C-3PO and RD-D2, some Adventure People and the bike from the "Cycle Racing Team" set, a few Playmobil figures, a Micronaut (I think) and yet again one of those Richard Scarry guys (oh come on Mom, enough already!). In the upper left, there's a Buddy L set. I think they did a few sets back then that were sort of like an Adventure People/Matchbox hybrid (with little figures and everything), and this is one of them. But wait, what's that right below it? Is that a brand new Mego "Ponch", lying flat on his back? Why yes, it is! I think he must have still been exhausted from my painstaking reenactment of the infamous "delivering babies at the disco" '78 CHiPs season opener. Please also note the ubiquitous Snoopy birthday card. What special childhood occasion in the '70s would have been complete without Snoopy? By the way, that shirt had my name printed on both the front AND back, just in case I forgot. Hairstyles by "Eight is Enough".

Pic 2: Welcome to 1975. Here my mother joins me in examining the newly released Kenner Tree Tots treehouse. In all honesty I was more of a Weebles guy, but this line was pretty cool too. I'd like to observe a moment of silence for the 16 brave souls who were crushed in the positioning of that gigantic console television. Gone, but never forgotten...

• toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

so cool
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 26, 2008

Awesome pics, the kenner tree tots is great, I had one way back when..
      Chad

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Robert you were adorable! Such cool pics! My younger cousins had a Tree Tots set, (but they called them Tree Tops).
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• GlobalObserver
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 12, 2004

Every time I see photos from the 1970's, I get timesick. I just want to crawl into the picture and be home again.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

^ Agreed, GO!

Great pictures, by the way! I remember that tree tots set, as well. I can't remember who had it, but I know that I played with it.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

So much fun!
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎