X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SUP-Ronin
    Stuck in a laundry shoot.
    • Oct 8, 2007

I need a hand: Ideas and Sources for Custom Hands

One issue I have been trying to address with little luck is the quality and posability of mego hands. Obviously hands can add a great deal to the realism when posing a figure, check out type3's stuff, for one example. Or think of Wolverines fist with the knives out, Spiderman about to launch a web, or Green Lantern working the Ring.

The standard mego hands just don't always cut it for me. Having a fist hand on one hand or the ability to effectively hold a gun/weapon or whatever can really improve the quality of the custom. I am really excited about Cast-Aways new products, but gloves aren't always the best solution depending on the character.
    It sucks when I put all that time into an otherwise decent custom just to be disappointed with the limited option of standard hand positions.

I know some of you make your own from scratch and some modify existing ones, and some are fine with stock mego, but...

Are you modifying hands from another figure to fit mego, if so what figures?
    Who has different hands for sale now that Russ is down???
    What other figure hands work well with mego style??
    Can you heat and reshape stock mego hands???
    I have found that they don't take paint very well, and many of the golves don't allow for much in the way of a pose.

Please share some tips, tricks, sources, materials or some helpful suggestions. I don't even know what materials people are using for sculpting. I am not asking anyone to divulge their ancient secret wu-tang style, just thow us bone. Thank you for your input.
    Last edited by SUP-Ronin; Apr 3, '08, 1:35 PM.
    "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

I've used the WWE/WWF figures for hands. Some lock right in others can be cut off and the wrist area dremeled down to push into a mego arm. (After you remove the original hand and wrist pin obviously). They're usually available for short $$ at yard sales and flea markets so I pick em up when they're available. I've started seeing Marvel Legends figures cheaper and cheaper in these places also and some of those figures also have some useful parts.
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

Yeah,.. The DC Direct figures most have inscale Hands.
      Same with the recent 4Horsemen He-man figures.
      Last edited by BlackKnight; Apr 3, '08, 4:09 PM.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• spiderrogue
        new mego-er
        • Feb 3, 2008

a lot of these might be in scale..they range from 5"-7" or so...some have really cool hands, too...pm ifyou want more pics..i had taken some of the actual hands..

action figures for sale +more - Mego Talk

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
          Stuck in a laundry shoot.
          • Oct 8, 2007

Thank you all for your input, I will see what I can find locally to avoid shipping, but will begin to explore all these sources. I have basically learned that I need to get creative, and skilled at modifying hands from other figures. If you think of any more ideas or specifics please let me know.
          "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

Have you ever encountered this? It may be the answer you are looking for! I came upon it awhile back and have never forgotten about it.

http://megomuseum.com/custom/resources/customhand.shtml
            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
              MeGoing
              • May 14, 2003

Handy hint Jessica. I hadn't noticed that one before.

I recently modified a hand using ProCreate. It sticks really well even to plastic. You will see the custom as soon as his box arrives.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎