Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Still scratching my head trying to figure out what people were expecting with this casting? Joe West and Iris should have given everyone a pretty good idea where it was going to lead to. Its not a Josh Trank out of left field change, the groundwork was already in place for it. Gotta go with Brian, its pretty said when this sort of stuff "ruins" people's enjoyment of a show.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• WannabeMego
      Made in the USA
      • May 2, 2003

It won't ruin my enjoyment...it makes sense based on how they set it up on the show.

I'm just really tired of how they (Marvel & DC) play this game...I recognize it's within their rights...they own the characters, they can do what they want...but it's not how the creator's created the characters.

It's like telling J.K. Rowling to suddenly make Harry Potter Asian...it is not how she created the character...it's a fact.

There are ways to do these things where it makes sense...

The Truth by Marvel is a PERFECT Example...it fits into the existing Captain America continuity...it makes sense...and it's a Character that can stand on it's own or would make better sense to be Captain America's replacement then Falcon who is a character that can stand on his own already.

Another Example is The Phantom...it's built into the Origin...He's existed over 400 years...the mantle of The Phantom is passed down over generations.

Thor is another example where it's built in..."Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."...it setup so anyone (even though it says he) can be Thor...but...

This is just my opinion...just super tired of the empty meaningless changes...so unnecessary.

Probably the wrong thread to post in...My Bad.
      Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Funny how some are in angst over this kid being black...as Brian said, look at the current roster.

Plus, what's so unbelievable about a black person being fast?

Last time I checked, blacks practically own all the track racing records in real life, come on now...Kid Flash being black is not a life changing event, lol.

Hey, rejoice...at least the main lead Flash is not black...breath in, breath out...
        Last edited by Hector; Aug 6, '15, 2:49 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
          The show made thousands of changes from the comics, the West family is black on the show, therefore so is Wally. If that ruins your enjoyment of a program, that's pretty freaking sad IMO.
          I find it more comical myself...
          Last edited by Hector; Aug 6, '15, 2:36 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            Still scratching my head trying to figure out what people were expecting with this casting? Joe West and Iris should have given everyone a pretty good idea where it was going to lead to. Its not a Josh Trank out of left field change, the groundwork was already in place for it. Gotta go with Brian, its pretty said when this sort of stuff "ruins" people's enjoyment of a show.
            Agreed.

Not that I like that actress playing Iris...but not because she's black, but because she's an annoying nag more than anything else...

sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

When I first saw this thread, I did not know the New 52 Wally was black--I just assumed the casting followed the show's reimagined West family, which didn't bother me to begin with. Then, Google-powers activate, I see the whole thing may be reverse-engineered to fit New-52 tropes and that doesn't surprise or bother me either.

I'm basically a traditionalist, but I don't understand the vitriol sometimes expressed here: Firstly, DC has been tweaking and redefining sidekicks for 35 years, and even before then with Robin. Plus, this is all New-52 patina, which most here dismiss anyway--including me.

If it's good storytelling, I honestly don't care what color Kid Flash is, particularly in the context of this show.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• pmwasson
                Maker
                • Sep 12, 2007

I think more speedsters is great. I really liked the Terminal Velocity story arc (Flash #95-100, November 1994-April 1995), which had a bunch of speedsters. I hope the second season explores the speed force and has speedsters coming out of the woodwork!

As for being black, who cares? If he is a good actor with good writing, he will be great no matter what color he is.
                sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

on the other hand they could have pulled a Trank with the casting like he did with Sue and the rest of the Storm family. Then I guess that would have soothed the nerves of all the enjoyment ruined people in this thread.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

For me, it's not racial thing...it's just that I'm in old fart who has been reading Comics for far to long and I'm just tried of them changing my Heroes for the sake PC to please demographics. When they do it, the only way I can protest is with my wallet. Canceled Captain America comic, canceled Ultimate Spiderman when they killed Peter and brought in Miles....and so on. I use to spend and $30 to $50 a week on comics, but with all the CRAP Marvel & DC are doing nowadays...I'm down to about 3 comics a week.
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      Actually Joe...I was hoping they wouldn't add Wally the show AT ALL. He's simply not needed.
                      sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

not needed? I guess if you say so. The show has covered a lot of the silver age Flash ground and it doesn't surprise me one bit that Wally is going to be there.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Double agreed.

I mean, from episode 1, my first thought was, "Well, I guess Wally won't be a pasty redhead in this version if he shows up".

I think it's just more persecution of gingers. First Jimmy Olsen, now Wally. THERE'S you story.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            I think it's just more persecution of gingers. First Jimmy Olsen, now Wally. THERE'S you story.

Chris

YES! That's it! We're being oppressed, THE MAN is keeping us down:
                            sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

This is a tough topic to cover because it can so easily derail into a direction not really intended. And I guess allot of it just has to do with your emotional trigger when looking for intent based on a simple opinion. Anyone who knows me or has met me knows firsthand I am anything but a racist. Allot of you have seen my grandson. He's mixed and is the absolute love of my life. I don't see color as a measure of someone's value. But I am human and by default I will see differences because that's what we are all composed of (and I love that). But it doesn't mean that seeing differences means I have to validate them every time they are presented to me. If I see Superman sporting a gut in tights, I might not like that. Am I being bias to heavyset folks for not letting them wear tights? Of course not. It just doesn't fit the traditional image of what I am accustom to seeing (Hector I'm not picking on you ). If someone rebooted the '66 Ultraman and casted Hyatta with an Australian actor, would I be prejudice to that nationality because that doesn't make sense with my definition of him? Hopefully no one would go there. But in this world where we now pretend NOT to see differences, that's unfortunately the false front that would be presented.

Personally I think we as a society don't do ENOUGH promotion for the real black heroes out there. Where the heck is Power Man? I would LOVE to see a major motion picture or even a television series. That would be incredible. Why does the Falcon have to play such a backseat role to Cap? Why don't they create a project for Black Vulcan? There are tremendous black heroes who never get noticed and to me that is the real crime here. To me (and I hope people will understand my perspective) simply reassigning race to a role that is predominantly different only caters to the stereotype. It's a form of deference that says you're not credible unless you play THIS role and that upsets me. Anyone who thinks the Marvel/DC universe is suddenly looking like the bridge of the Enterprise is sadly mistaken. Because the one big difference is each culture and race played THEMSELVES. THAT gave them their own dignity. That allowed them to shine. And Avery Brooks didn't play Picard. He was Captain Sisko.

So I guess my point is we don't traditionally pick our favorite heroes like we pick our daily outfits. "I'll wear a blue shirt today, but maybe a yellow shirt tomorrow." Superheroes for most of us are not generic molds that can be swapped. I like my Hulk big and green (lacking much of a brain). Some like him big and grey...or red (with substantially more brains). But whatever they are they often mean something special to each one of us and it can be for very personal reasons that doesn't have to be connected with our social views having to do with racial and/or cultural backgrounds. Allot of these heroes are older than many of us here. So making changes to them can and do bother people if they have spent their entire life celebrating them in a much different fashion. I just don't believe we should pigeon hole people as being 'morally flawed' because they're disappointed by those changes. And I apologize in advance if I offended anyone with these statements. I was not trying to be provocative or start a debate. I truly enjoy seeing the differences in people. But differences in opinion are just as interesting to me. How boring we would be if we all looked and thought alike.
                              Last edited by MIB41; Aug 7, '15, 8:43 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

I'm not going to say it's racism, I mean I have seen some people get waaaaaayyyy to upset over these things but generally i view the majority of it as some sort of mild OCD for lack of a better word.

The same way movie costumes that aren't 100% comic accurate somehow magically tell you the whole movie is garbage. If little details like the colour of a cape ruin your enjoyment of anything, I find that kind of ridiculous.

I remember walking out of Robocop when I was 17, blown away, the guy i went with? "He should have kept his helmet on at the end, ruined the movie" That guy = sad.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎