X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Sleepy Hollow s3 (no Headless Horseman)

When new showrunner Clifton Campbell took over the reins for Sleepy Hollow season three, we were promised a new creative direction by Fox. Clearly, they were not whistling “The Battle Hymn of the Republic,” because Sleepy Hollow fans can brace themselves for an even bigger change than the departure of Katrina Crane: the series is also jettisoning the Headless Horseman for at least a year. It’s a pretty brazen move considering that the Headless Horseman’s image is kind of what Sleepy Hollow’s marketing has been founded upon, never mind the 200-year-old short story by Washington Irving.

As reported via TV Guide, Campbell (who took over showrunning duties from Mark Goffman) has confirmed that there will be no Headless Horseman, aka Abraham Van Brunt, as the writers seek to establish a more streamlined and less complex series mythology.

“There won’t be any Headless this year,” Campbell confirmed. “But we have a new framework and a new set of rules for the mythology. And it all starts with the introduction of our new big bad and will take us into a very interesting device, which will allow us to see a somewhat more compelling, but more personal threat to both Abbie [Nicole Beharie] and Ichabod Crane [Tom Mison].”

This adds the Headless Horseman’s carcass to the dump heap of characters that Sleepy Hollow has dismissed in the hopes of softly rebooting the series, including Katrina/Katia Winter, Henry/John Noble, Hawley/Matt Barr, and perhaps most surprising and damning, Frank Irving, aka the wonderful Orlando Jones.

Only Mison, Beharie, and Lyndie Greenwood (who plays Jenny Mills) remain of the original stars. However, Zach Appleman, who played the cursed son of Abbie’s fallen mentor, Sheriff Corbin, will return as a regular on the series for season three.

Sleepy Hollow season two was a mess; there is little doubt. But considering the appeal of the show was first sold on Ichabod Crane and Abbie Mills vs. a shotgun-toting Headless Horseman, one has to wonder if it will even be the same show going into the fall?

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/sleepy-ho...dless-horseman
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Being a Supernatural fan I can understand where they're going with this... Basically Sleepy Hollow is a poor man's Supernatural.

Super progressed from a monster of the week format to a season arc format.

Seems like Sleepy is doing this in reverse, but that's ok

Even Doctor Who's Daleks have be relegated to appearing only once a season.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

I thought Sleepy Hollow started out great but not long into season two I completely lost interest.

Comment

• Falstaff13
        Persistent Member
        • May 28, 2008

I know the trick has been to connect Ichabod to all of the founding fathers, but given the premise that he is a man out of time, woken up to a new world in the 21st century, I'm still surprised they haven't at least tied in Irving's other most famous story, "Rip Van Winkle."
        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎