X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Godzilla 2016

It's like New Coke and Coke Classic all over again!

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

I have more faith in a new Japanese Godzilla film than I do in another one coming from Hollywood.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

TWO new Godzilla movies!
      Now that's what I like to hear. I liked the recent American one, so I'm optimistic. Hey, it'll have Mothra, Ghidorah and Rodan!

Glad to hear about the new Japanese one: the last one was really, really bad. Need to get that taste out of my mouth...
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• JimP
        • Jul 14, 2015

Thank you for posting this!

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Wonder if there will be an American version like the original ?

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

I never got the chance to see the last Godzilla movie, but heard mixed reviews. The best Godzilla is the Japanese
            versions without a doubt, this Godzilla 2016 looks interesting and looking forward to see his appearance,
            if it's based on the original 1954 film I will definitely go and see it. Of course it will be English dubbed, but
            once it's released on DVD/Blue-Ray I'll bet it will also have the Japanese language with English subtitles.

Also curious on the musical score, the original still gives me the creeps today, that's how good it was.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

The latest American one feels a lot like the 1954 original. Slow build-up, saving Big G for last, just him to start with.
              It's very low on kaiju action, but a good origin story.
              If Brian Cranston had cooked up a batch of meth, he'd have defeated the monster in no time, of course...
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

My biggest problem with the 2014 American one is Godzilla's actual screen time - which is about 7 minutes --- most of which are in the dark and obscured by smoke etc.

We all know Godzilla, there's no reason to Jawsify him.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Interesting, but I still scratch my head as WHY people think the Big G needs visible ear structures; the have a tendency to draw away from his monstrousness (IMHO) and he winds up starting to look a little like a big, green elf with skin issues. Granted, no one really knows whether dinosaurs had visible ear cartilage or not, and if Big G is a dino-descendant, why stick ears on him now? Yeah, yeah, I know he's had ears in a few of his Japanese incarnations, but if the rendering of him on the above website is any indicator, his ear structures have enlarged pretty drastically...

What do you think? Ear structures or not?
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I think the Japanese just "get" the whole rambling monster business better than American studios. Maybe I feel that way because they owned so much of my childhood in this genre. But then again if it were just formula, why didn't other studios do it that way? There's a pacing and choreography to these things that just establishes tone and a sense of something ominous coming your way. I think the Japanese also kind of dignify their monsters with myth and legacy whereas in America, it's more about spectacle and OTT effects. Seeing all of those trailers for the 2014 Godzilla really made me think he had finally arrived on this side of the pond. But, for me, that turned out not to be the case. Talk about a long drawn out set up. There's so much exposition on this other creature, Godzilla seems to be relegated to guest star status. Plus I thought near the end when he's laying in the rubble, the effects artists gave it too much of a ground zero look which, for me, is a bit on the tacky side of artistic license. Looking forward to what Japan offers up in this new production.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

There's a fine line between rambling monster tedium and not enough monster.

The same with monster fight scenes that seem to go on forever (War of the Gargantuas)

For rambling and fighting I think the American version of King Kong vs Godzilla found that happy medium

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I liked the 2014 Godzilla but if the sequel doesn't have more Godzilla, then I won't go see it. I got the build up of the first one, he was Willy Wonka, everybody talks about him but he doesn't show up until the middle. Now we need something more.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Yes, more Godzilla...less humans.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                            Yes, more Godzilla...less humans.
                            Which also applies to everyday life!

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

To be fair, I watch most Godzilla movies with people on fast forward, some more than others.

At least the 2014 movie came up with very creative ways to make the people interesting, stuff like the scene on the train tracks was terrific.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎