Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

Black Manta - from the Filmation series: The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure

The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure is a Filmation animated series that aired on CBS from 1967 to 1968. Premiering on September 9, 1967, this 60-minute program included a series of six-minute adventures featuring various DC Comics superheroes.

Each episode consisted of new segments from the existing series, The New Adventures of Superman and The Adventures of Superboy, as well as outings for Aquaman and his sidekick Aqualad.

It also included a rotating series of "guest star" cartoons featuring the Atom, the Flash and Kid Flash, the Green Lantern, Hawkman and new shorts from The Adventures of Superboy. The Justice League of America (Atom, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Aquaman and Superman) and Teen Titans (Speedy, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, and Aqualad, but not Robin) were also featured in team adventures.

Black Manta appeared in the very first of 36 Aquaman episodes entitled: "Menace of the Black Manta" where Aquaman and Aqualad must stop Black Manta's attempt to sink a mid-ocean luxury liner.

Black Manta was built on a ZICA S body; Castaway gloves and boots; Mattel Black Manta air tank; head enlarged from a Super Friends Black Manta figure; paints and suit by yours truly.

Background courtesy of Entertainment Earth

Taking on the Aquamans (Mego and customs)

My custom Black Mantas: (l to r) Manta, Filmation 1967, Challenge of the Super Friends.

Aquamans vs Black Mantas!

I hope you enjoy my customs as much as I do, and, as always, thanks for looking!

Peace, Love, and Megos!

Austin
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • hawkmike
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 15, 2003

Very nice work!!!?!
    wanted mego arch reactor

Comment

• Bronxboykev
      Permanent Member
      • Mar 7, 2011

Well... you know how much I enjoy your customs... I try to replicate as many as I can... With your help

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I'm predisposed to like this a lot, but I'd also suggest more color-contrast between the torso portion of the suit and the extremities.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• megowgsh
          Customego HoF Curator
          • Nov 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I'm predisposed to like this a lot, but I'd also suggest more color-contrast between the torso portion of the suit and the extremities.
          Interesting you should suggest that. I originally printed it truer to the cartoon, but did not like it. I decided to use these shades of blue because they really "pop" in person. I wish their contrast was more pronounced in the photographs.
          Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

neat-o!! I really like that yellow Manta, too. You need to do a couple Manta-Men henchmen to go with him!!
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Timothy2251
              Jerks beef with Ten Bears
              • Mar 15, 2008

Seconding Thunderbolt's request for Manta-Men henchmen! Once again, Sir Austin, thou art truly the King of Custom Megos, yea!
              "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• daz71
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2014

brilliant they all look great

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I understand, the colors don't always read in photos.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• newlyknighted
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 21, 2010

Awesome as always!
                    I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• Grimjohn
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 28, 2011

This will be a bit biased because Black Manta is my favorite DC villain so, not only did you blow my mind with the Filmation version, you did it three times over with your other fantastic versions plus those awesome Aquamans. They are all magnificent!
                      My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• Boywonder0
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 29, 2007

Perfecto! Love the Hook Hand Aquaman too! Bien hecho Austin!

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

Cool looking figure(s)...

Comment

• noelani72
                            27inaleon
                            • Jun 25, 2002

gotta love some black manta!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I love the shot of all the Mantas together. Great work on all of them (and the Aquamen)!

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎