• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Superman is smarter than Batman

Who's smarter -- Batman or Superman?

Most fanboys will go to their grave swearing up and down Batman is. He's certainly been shown in the comics to be capable of devising schemes to defeat all of Earth's most powerful superhumans time and time again.

But when you look at the evidence, there's a more than strong enough case to be made that Superman has the superior intellect.

First, two things:

a. This is not a canon list. This is a list of the general mythology of both characters, Kal-El and Bruce Wayne.

b. This is not a list of why or if Superman or Batman are better characters than one another.

With that out of the way, let's begin.

Superman spent aeons traveling through space as a baby learning all Kryptonian knowledge.

As we all know, Kal-El was placed in a podlike spaceship by his father, Jor-El, so he could escape the dying world of Krypton. That spaceship was sent to Earth. Along the way, Kal-El was taught by his "father" all the knowledge of Krypton. Seeing as Krypton was a society far, far more advanced than Earth is, it stands to reason that even in his infancy Superman knew more than the smartest person alive about science in general and Kryptonian society in particular.

Superman built a hyperadvanced fortress out of ice in the Antarctic and used his scientific knowledge to pepper it with Kryptonian tech.

The Fortress of Solitude is no joke. Sure, Superman's superstrength, speed and other physical abilities afforded him the power to construct it, but the FoS is an architectural marvel. And Superman designed it in his head and then just built it. Keep in mind that Batman started out with the skeleton of the Batcave already under Wayne Manor. Additionally, Superman built a squadron of Kryptonian robots and computers capable of Kryptonian software with only his spaceship (and knowledge) as reference.

Superman is so different both as species and in culture that Batman's schemes are beneath him.

Superman is Kryptonian, which means that he is not human. He is a member of an advanced race of aliens. To Superman, humanity is a fragile species that has not yet evolved to shake off the bonds of interspecies hate and barbarity. Thus, the idea that Superman would do something like, I don't know, plan on how to defeat and depower his friends, as Batman has, is ridiculous. Such an idea is the province of an advanced member of the sluggish and foolish mammals he shares his home with, true. But an advanced member of that species is still nothing compared to the Kryptonian.

Superman's reliance on brute strength is a reflection of the world he lives in and the abilities the yellow sun gives him.

Sure, Superman tends to rely on his overwhelming physical power to settle conflicts and achieve goals. But this is the smartest thing he can do. With the yellow sun's gift of super: strength, speed, indestructibility, laser eyes and flying; it's foolish to suggest that relying on anything else for conflict resolution with the puny ants that are humans would be worthwhile. It's pretty clear, from Superman's incredible scientific knowledge and his construction of the FoS, for one, that if he needed to solve a problem through brains alone, he would. But usually, the humans don't reach the level of needing a resolution outside of BANG POW right in the kisser.

Frank Miller's version of Superman in Dark Knight Returns is bull**** and needs to be removed from the zeitgeist.

Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns portrays Superman as some kind of bumbling toady to the US government who in Miller's mind would have gone along with the authoritarian superhero culling that has happened in the near past of the story. And this Superman who gets his *** kicked by Batman, mainly through the Kryptonian's own stupidity in not realizing that, oh, I don't know, Batman might use the green Kryptonite he's had for like ever. And, fine. That's an alternate reality of Miller's invention. Whatever. Point being, the story has shaped the relationships between Batman and Superman for almost thirty years.. in the wrong way. The issue here is that that portrayal of the two characters has influenced their relationship ever since, culminating in the Tower of Babel storyline regularly cited by Batboys as evidence of Batman's invincibility.

Superman is a member of an advanced species, with a brain capable of speeds of learning and deduction that would leave most terran minds in the dust. Even the minds that can figure out ways to briefly defeat him, such as Batman's, reach their ceiling at Superman's floor.

Superman is smarter than Batman...oh...and death to Frank Miller...

Source:

Most fanboys will go to their grave swearing up and down Batman is. He's certainly been shown in the comics to be capable of devising schemes to defeat all of Earth's most powerful superhumans time and time again. But when you look at the evidence, there's a more than strong enough case to be made that Superman has the superior intellect.

sigpic
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

If Superman were so smart, why is Kent a reporter and not a scientist? Or an inventor?

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Nerdy reporter is the best disguise, lol...
      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Tell us how you really feel, Hec.

I think Superman is very intelligent--he has to be, to use his powers well. I think the same is basically true of Batman--I character I grew up loving but don't quite recognize anymore. It seems a long time ago that Clark and Bruce were friends and had a healthy respect for each other's unique abilities.

That said, the Kryptonian vs. puny human s is pretty off-putting to me--for me, the best thing about Superman is how the Kents molded him as a person to use those powers. The Huff Post article is trying too hard IMO--and that same "trying" has ruined Batman IMO.

Frank Miller, meh.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
          To Fear is Not Logical...
          • Feb 17, 2008

When I grew up reading comics, Superman and Batman were friends and neither one thought the other would even think of being destructive to the citizens they were trying to keep safe. In the 70's Superman was the greatest intellect and everything else with DC. Yet, while reading the JLA, he still relied on his teammates to help solve problems. I miss those guys.
          It's all good!

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

It depends on what version of Superman you're considering. In the silver-age comics, Kryptonians are described as having an 8th-level intellect while average humans were described as having a 6th-level intellect. Brainiac and Brianiac 5 had a 12th level intellect, while Luthor had an 8th level intellect. I'd guess Batman would be at Luthor's level or close.

When Byrne revamped Superman the super-intelligence seemed to be dropped as a power or at least not played up, but over time his power levels seemed to grow. Often the post-Crisis Mr. Terrific was described as being the world's third smartest man with Luthor and Batman being ahead of him.

As for the New52 or current version of Superman and Batman, it seems they're both smart, but Batman seems to have developed more intellectual skills and knowledge.

My personal thought on Superman is that he probably has the potential to learn and retain information more quickly and to a greater capacity than all but the most intelligent humans, but that he's too busy helping people to fully reach his maximum capacity. However, he's super quick to learn and absorb information when he wants to.
            Last edited by madmarva; Jul 30, '15, 2:03 PM.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

I always go by what Paul Dini and Bruce Timm did in the cartoons. To me,the comics should use what those two did with both characters as a blue print.

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Batman is the world's greatest detective. Plus he figures out how to go toe to toe with Superman. Batman by a set of ears.

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
                  Batman is the world's greatest detective. Plus he figures out how to go toe to toe with Superman. Batman by a set of ears.
                  No surprise...I agree!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I always thought Batman and Superman were equal in intelligence. But Superman has bags of humility, and Batman is a know-it-all, so Batman flaunts it, where Superman doesn't.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

One thing that has been missing from Superman in the last three decades is the Super Genius aspect that was part and parcel with the character's Silver Age depiction.

This was why Red Son seemed kind of refreshing when it came out. As a throw back to THAT version of Superman, albeit with the Soviet angle. there as a little twist in there I quite enjoyed, suggesting that he was in fact the architect of everything that happened in the storyline all along.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Morrison touched on that in All Star Superman, the whole series was a love letter to the silver age Supes.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• knight errant00
                          8 Inch Action Figure
                          • Nov 15, 2005

This bugs me too because, when you get right down to it, except for Miller's portrayal, Superman in his own stories is almost always outsmarting bad guys and thinking his way out of situations. Even on TV -- Reeves' show in the 50s or TAS in the 90s -- Superman just doesn't bludgeon his way through everything. In fact, ironically, I think many modern Batman stories show Batman as the blunt instrument, only calling on his intellect for detective work (and really, there's fewer decent mysteries for him any more) or to show up other supers, just so the fan writer can demonstrate how superior he is.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^Good point. In many ways, Miller dumbed Batman down as well. A big ball of anger pointed in one direction.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Isn't this an awesome thread?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰