X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boy_Wonder_1978
    Career Member
    • Apr 30, 2015

AFA Grading.

Just a general question on AFA grading and to get a feel of forum members take on it.
    A great deal of the Star Wars guys seem to be crazy about getting things graded. Personally I think it's a complete waste of time and money just have someone tell you what condition your collectables are in. I mean we can see these things for ourselves. As long as it's placed in that protective acrylic case or star case, then it's all well and good. I've even noticed comments in the past like 'AFA got that one wrong, it should be this or that grade'. I'm left thinking, well if that's the case, why are you forking out to have it graded in the first place? Apart from a few other points and opinions, I really do think it's pointless and a bit of a con.

Thoughts????
  • megoapesnut
    The name says it all!
    • Dec 3, 2007

Let the fun begin...

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

We discussed this topic back in February. Here's a link to that thread -

I was just wondering: what kind of "authority" (for lack of a better word) does AFA have? I had an old friend over (old school toy collector who's just getting back in the game), and his opinion on AFA was "so what if these guys say it's worth $500? Who are they to put a value on it?" This was the first

I don't believe there is much interest for it nor is there a feeling the people performing the function always have the best intentions or expertise to be trusted with the task.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
        Permanent Member
        • Mar 7, 2011

Don't get me started on the AFA... Go to the thread... Long story short AFA is a sham!!!

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

I bought two AFA graded figures in my lifetime and took a hammer to the cases as soon as they arrived.

Comment

• dumbldor
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 9, 2002

Many Star Wars collectors, like comic and card collectors, appreciate the authentication from a "professional" and the granularity of grading. IMO, part of the reason it has taken root in the Star Wars collecting community, is that it is too easy to, say for example, put together a set of 12 backs, but a set of AFA85 12 backs IS a challenge.

With Mego collecting, the supply is so much smaller, and there are some real rarities, so collectors are more likely to be much happier to add any example to their collection. We also take pride in being able to judge condition and authenticity for ourselves.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

They are not infallible, and thus the entire operation is moot. I think it ruined carded Star Wars collecting.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Last month, I had a stick of gum graded. It was supermint.
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

When I die, I plan to have myself stuffed and graded.
                  Once that is done, I'll have the whole thing encased in a second plastic case yet again, to protect the first case. This will continue until nobody will have a clue as to what is actually inside.
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

This is the only grader I trust

m
                    Last edited by Mikey; Jul 29, '15, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

I'm very happy with this one:

Cheese.jpg

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                        Banned
                        • Jun 23, 2001

AFA and CGC are complete scams. Neither has a written guide on how the items are graded. As long as there is no written standards it's completely useless. The reason why these grading companies are used is $$$$. The funny thing, and I have mentioned this before in other threads, is that the one company that wrote a book on grading is Overstreet (Price Guide)...and nobody even uses their price guide anymore. Go figure. The answer to why people use these companies is the all mighty $$$$. I don't begrudge anyone that does it. If you want to pay me upwards of 10 times what a book is worth in the guide...then by all means I will oblige and take your money. I don't believe in it and I would never have a CGC or AFA graded item in my collection...but I would definitely do it as a seller if it meant making 10 times what an item is worth. You'd be a fool not to use it. I can tell you I will never use AFA to sell anything because the majority of what I sell is Mego and AFA just doesn't work with Mego collectors. Comics are a different story. CGC has taken over and it is unfortunate that it has. It's taken the fun out of comics because that's all you see at cons these days...but it is playing into the fact that comics now are an "Investment". I truly believe that the Wallstreet types or mentality has invaded the comic book community. Here's my thing that I've been saying for the better part of 20 years...collect because you enjoy it...not because it's worth $$$. Soon as anyone can get into that mindset the better off they will be and the more they will enjoy the hobby and have a passion for it.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                          Permanent Member
                          • Mar 7, 2011

Plainly put... Just because you grade it doesn't make it worth more...

Comment

• dumbldor
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 9, 2002

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                            The reason why these grading companies are used is $$$$. The answer to why people use these companies is the all mighty $$$$. I don't begrudge anyone that does it. If you want to pay me upwards of 10 times what a book is worth in the guide...then by all means I will oblige and take your money. ...but I would definitely do it as a seller if it meant making 10 times what an item is worth. You'd be a fool not to use it. ...but it is playing into the fact that comics now are an "Investment". I truly believe that the Wallstreet types or mentality has invaded the comic book community.
                            100% correct. This same investment mentality is prevalent in card collecting and has infiltrated Star Wars collecting as well.

As a seller, it is a no brainer to grade a carded Star Wars figure before selling it, unless it was trashed. For anything AFA80 or higher, you are guaranteed to come out ahead versus not grading it. And for 12 backs, anything AFA70 and over is now getting bigger bucks.

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 30, 2015

This is the exact feeling that I was getting here. I'm still relatively new to this forum and I'd not seen copious amounts of 'so called' AFA f85 b80 c80, etc, graded figures here, so I just thought I'd ask the question. Plenty of great points made and I'd agree with them all.
                              I've not heard many horror stories with AFA, but I did read once that a guy bought a carded AFA graded figure and there was something that bugged him with the leg of the figure. Curiosity got the better of him and he cracked open the acrylic case and removed the figure from the bubble only to find that the leg of the figure had a completely clean break. Surely if these people were the authority they 'protest' to be, something like that would have easily been picked up, no?

Sorry, but I'm not taken in by them either.

Thanks to MIB41 for pointing out that thread. Had I have become a member sooner I'd have caught that one.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎