Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on getting comic books bound into hardcover volumes...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Thoughts on getting comic books bound into hardcover volumes...

I'm on the Tales Of The Justice Society Facebook page and a fellow fan has put together and bound the entire All Star Squadron series including the preview book from the Justice League Of America and the Steel mini series. It's an awesome bound collection. Beautiful wraparound cover that he had the binders put together. Just an absolute beautiful 3 volume set. I think if I had second complete sets of some of the series I'd love to see in a Hardcover I'd do it in a heartbeat. Would anyone else here want to do that to some of the books/sets in their collection? I don't know if I can migrate pics from a Facebook page here...but if I can I will post the pics he posted on Facebook.
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Here are some pics of the set:

Here's one of my favorite shots...Love how the "V" for Victory wraps around the back:

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

Great topic!

I actually gave a fair amount of thought to this recently and I'm wondering what people think as well.

For example, I would absolutely love to get my Byrne FF run bound like that. I never read them because the plastic bags are such a chore to deal with. I'd love to be able to pull them off my shelf and read them once in a while.

I know there are Omnibus collections of the Byrne run, but I wasn't crazy about the look of the recolouring. Pus, binding the books I already own would be about the same price, if not cheaper.

I'm in the middle of a bit of a financial crunch right now — buying a new house — but after this hump I'll probably go back to considering this further.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

I'm tempted to do my Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre run like this, or Robinson's Starman.

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

In the back of my mind is this little voice telling me the comic book gods intended for them to be kept in plastic bags with boards, but then I always think of this c. 1992 "Peepshow" strip by Joe Matt about his friend and fellow cartoonist Seth:

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

I've never seen this. How are they bound for reading?

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
              I've never seen this. How are they bound for reading?
              There are all kinds of resources and info online. Even videos showing people doing the binding by hand. You can't remove the comics after this is done, so purist collectors will probably not be into this.

I'll try to post some links I found!

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

This is a cool video. I can't vouch for this particular company, but the video gives a lot of nice examples of how this is done and the options you can get.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

They can even do cloth ribbon bookmarks, embossed custom logos, leather and fabric covers, custom slip jackets...It's pretty cool.

Comment

• Brazoo
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 14, 2009

This is another really cool video, because it shows the results of three options for how the books are bound and trimmed — oversewn, ultrabinding and Smythesewn.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 23, 2001

Here are some pics of what the books look like when you open them up...the only critique I have is that when the books are trimmed you really can't control to the extent of how much is trimmed off the sides. Being that this was one of my jobs when I was in printing I can say that if I ever get this done I will definitely do them in smaller bound editions. Maybe 10 issues per bound book. That may give you a better trim and not take so much off of the right side of the book:

It does tighten the 2 pages spreads though:

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

From what I've seen you can leave the outer edge untrimmed, but it just looks a little less neat.

Look at 3:36 in that video I posted, there seems to be very little loss in that Smythesewn example. One of the things these folks like to do is try to save some room/cash by cutting out the double sided ads, but you can't do that if you use Smythesewn binding because you need the whole comic.

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

Personally, I'd rather have the whole book with the original ads anyway. But I'm likely only thinking about doing 5 or 6 volumes at most. Some of these guys have whole libraries of bound comics!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                            Banned
                            • Jun 23, 2001

This piece I just found on the net may be the penultimate reason to possibly have your original comics bound :

http://irenevartanoff.com/?p=505

So basically what is being said is what I've heard about in the last 15 years of collecting original art....Reprints are quite possibly NOT going to be an exact replica of the original story. I've heard for years how DC had a hard time doing reprints for Wonder Woman by George Perez because the art was either "Lost" or has ended up in collections without ever having stats or proofs to back up what was printed. And that is from stories from withing the last 30 years. It's crazy to see that the companies had this much disrespect for their own history. I've heard the same stories about the BBC with stuff that was filmed for TV that the BBC started to go in and tape over old shows...lost forever. I'd probably get mini series and stories that I know that the big 2 will never reprint done first.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

The guys at Houchen bindery do some incredible work. Getting more and more tempted to do this myself. Check this you tube out:

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎