X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Richard Stanley's Island of Dr Moreau

Just caught this on Netflix. another fascinating woulda/coulda/shoulda like Jodorowsky's Dune. Don't think he's really done a feature movie since, but I really enjoyed Hardware and the Director's cut of Dust Devil.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Saw this at a festival. One of the first movies that you could follow very closely from announcement to production due to the explosion of 90's fanzines.

It neber had a chance with Stanley or after him. Always surprised New Line didn't offer a boatload to Cronenberg to take it over, since this was during his flux stage and needed a studio production.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Can you imagine a Cronenberg Moreau? Wow.

I'd like to see this doc, the production was so troubled and it's my favorite Wells novel.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

A radio show I listen to had Ron Perlman on talking about that film recently. He had some funny stories to tell.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

Nice,I just watched this documentary last night.
          Followed by hardware,haven't seen that one in about 20 years.
          Island was just a hot mess right from the get go.
          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

I saw Hardware again a while back. I still think it holds up... at the very least it's got a kicking' soundtrack and plays well as a two hour music video.

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• fallensaviour
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 28, 2006

I agree totally.
              The opening scene in the wasteland/desert is by far one of the coolest I've seen.
              I rank it right up there with the opening of the original mad max.
              I'd go as far as saying I enjoyed hardware as much as blade runner.
              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

I personally discount Hardware since he swiped the idea from 2000AD. And lost in court, eventually.

That's just me, though. It's like Independence Day. I went in not liking it because they felt HG Wells didn't deserve acknowledgement.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎