X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WannabeMego
    Made in the USA
    • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
    I thought for sure my big bro was going to say Avengers 100...

He used to say "You've gotta see this book...you can see the Hulk literally sweating" That's how blown away he was by Barry Smith's art in this issue. Ya think you know someone for close to 46 years??!!?? Who knew.
    Avengers #100 is Absolutely Gorgeous...No Doubt. It is ONE of My All-Time Favorites...BUT...as far as Single Favorite, it has to be story-driven, and that is Marvel Two-in-One Annual #7 for me even though the Artwork is just OK.
    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Drzsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 9, 2011

my favorite 2 books are the two part Manhunter story from JLA 140-141.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

sigpic

Comment

• megoscott
          Founding Partner
          • Nov 17, 2006

This book took me to a new place with comics, from idle curiosity to intense interest. The stakes felt really high. The relationships between the characters as they prepared for the life and death fight seemed so intense to me. It really spoke to my brain and heart. I loved Paul Smith's artwork. This one started me on the path of hunting down back issues because I wanted to know everything about these characters and their history together.

This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by MegoScott
            This book took me to a new place with comics, from idle curiosity to intense interest. The stakes felt really high. The relationships between the characters as they prepared for the life and death fight seemed so intense to me. It really spoke to my brain and heart. I loved Paul Smith's artwork. This one started me on the path of hunting down back issues because I wanted to know everything about these characters and their history together.

Another GREAT choice, I loved that story! I also liked Paul Smith's artwork. I HATE Dave Cockrum!
            sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

I'd say my hunger for back issues was ignited in a similar fashion. My first issue of X-Men was during this storyline as well. It's basically the X-Men vs Aliens, how can you not love it.

I also picked up this Amazing Adventures X-Men reprint, which was quite the contrast with the current series. I couldn't quite figure out how Scarlet Witch and Beast became Avengers, and how different the humorous furry blue Beast was from the more somber and intellectual human looking Beast in those original X-Men adventures... but they were obviously the same guy since they were both Henry McCoy. Also... other than Cyclops and Professor X, where did the rest of the original X-Men go, and where did all these new X-Men come from? It became quite a jigsaw puzzle over the years at sorting out all these answers, from getting the X-Men Special Edition reprint of Giant Sized X-Men, to the Vision and Scarlet witch miniseries, The New Defenders, and finding an early trade of the Phoenix Saga. When Classic X-Men reprints started, but was a huge deal for me as well to FINALLY getting to read those Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne issues that led up to the Phoenix Saga.

Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 29, '15, 10:32 AM.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• daz71
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                I thought for sure my big bro was going to say Avengers 100:

He used to say "You've gotta see this book...you can see the Hulk literally sweating" That's how blown away he was by Barry Smith's art in this issue. Ya think you know someone for close to 46 years??!!?? Who knew.
                still need this one looks like one of the best

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 13, 2009

There is no way I could narrow it to one. Some of my favorites growing up were:

On a whole though, ASM 229 through 294 is my personal favorite span for Spidey. From Juggernaut, to Hobgoblin, to Firelord, to Gang War, to Kraven's Last Hunt. Just an amazing run of comics!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                    Banned
                    • Jun 23, 2001

This was the story line, or part of the extended Brood story line, that almost made me quit X-Men. Just did absolutely nothing for me at all. Loved Smith's art...but Dan Green's inks ruined it for me. I really do thing that when Smith was on Dr Strange that his style was best suited for the "Mystic" stories. I think that's why I love his Leave It To Chance series so much.

Comment

• ubermanx
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 3, 2013

No comic has given me more joy or merriment than this one ...

Justice_League_1.jpg

I laughed out loud, I immediately knew I had to get the rest of the series and I knew I had a new favorite artist. Other comics might have been very significant in terms of impact on the industry but this one had the greatest impact on me. Comics were fun.

- Marty

Comment

• torgospizza
                        Theocrat of Pan Tang
                        • Aug 19, 2010

Since it's single favorite, I have to go with Marvel's Conan the Barbarian #92. Runners up would be Marvel's Star Wars #8 and DC's Brave and the Bold #115.

Comment

• madmarva
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jul 7, 2007

I love all the choices I've seen so far. I don't know if I could name a single favorite, but two that really cultivated my early love for comics are

I thought the new story with Amazo was really cool because of all the characters, but it was the reprinting of JLA 19 where all the members revealed their secret IDs to each other that really caught my imagination.

I always loved the tabloids because of the big art. This one had a repair of Spider-Man 14, which guest-starred the Hulk and was the first appearance of the Green Goblin. I got this book on the same day as I got my first Mego Spider-Man figure. Never will forget that day.

Superman No. 149 — The original death of Superman. It's just a great, sad story with all the melancholy that worked so well with the zaniness of the silver-age Superman. Beautiful Swan/Klein art. It's probably my favorite DC comic.

The cover says it all for Fantastic Four 26, the second-part of a FF-Hulk-Avengers crossover that bounced out of Avengers 3 and 4. This is Marvel Comics to me. I first read the story in trade Great Super-Hero Battles or something like that. I love this cover that's a great homage to King Kong and looks like the inspiration for the Donkey Kong video game. It's probably my favorite Marvel Comic.
                          Last edited by madmarva; Jul 30, '15, 2:14 PM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                            Still Old School
                            • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by cockyhoskins
                            There is no way I could narrow it to one. Some of my favorites growing up were:

On a whole though, ASM 229 through 294 is my personal favorite span for Spidey. From Juggernaut, to Hobgoblin, to Firelord, to Gang War, to Kraven's Last Hunt. Just an amazing run of comics!
                            Couldn't agree more. Spidey at his best.
                            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Yeah Man, those Spidey books a true CLASSICS!!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Brown Bear
                                Still Old School
                                • Feb 14, 2008

Fantastic Four getting lots of love. Surprised there isn't more silver age Superman in the mix. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's picks
                                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎