Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time for a Marvel store or theme park?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

It's really non one companies fault. Marvel, like usual, oversold its rights in the 90's when they had nothing going on. Universal had been battling theme park headwinds for most of the 2k's, (IIRC), and Disney needed to time to do an overhaul. I believe Universal intended a major overhaul when Hulk was in production, and then it sank so they pulled back.

As for WB, they tried a massive branding campaign in the 90's when they had bosses who believed in that. From the WB Stores to their theme parks, DC was very abundant. The AOL merger killed off a lot of those divisions. IMO, I think Disney/Marvel didn't jump ship from Universal because 1. they needed time to figure out what works 2. Star Wars is coming and 3. WB is more than willing to fill that Universal spot. In the near future at Universal you're going to see Kong, Jurassic and Uni Horror revamped areas, plus a Pacific Rim area and possibly Godzilla, Toho willing. All you're missing is DC and it's fanboy heaven. That's not huge, it's yuge.

Also keep in mind both Marvel tours were Disney-backed, and one is puttering along while the other big bonanza tanked hard. "The Experience" closed, re-started, then permanently shut down. Outside the Avengers-centric movies, Marvel is in full deceleration but it gets no coverage out of fear of Disney. Gaming, live tours, network tv...all misfires. DD has done well by Netflix standards, which is about equal to Agents of Shield numbers. And Ant-Man...very well received, but a big step back in box office for something they actively tied into the Avengers, moreso than Guardians. And Marvel knew it wasn't tracking well, which is why they bailed on SDCC a week before Ant-Man opened.

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Well, Disney just needs to focus on Disney overall, and not setting up WB/DC for easy money if/when a Marvel Themepark does good numbers.

As far as Marvel superhero themeparking, I'm sure Disney is happy doing things pretty much the same (if anything, focusing on cultivating their recent Lucasfilm properties), and secretly thanking their lucky stars that Bugs, Daffy & Co. have never gained enough momentum to cash-in on THEIR anthomorphic core of Mickey and pals who give value validity to every humanoid Disney character from Snow White to Thor to Han Solo to Indiana Jones, and to Statler and Waldorf.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Most of the WB/DC stuff is already at Six Flags. Just saw on their website they have some kind of Lazer Tag ride for the Justice League.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Disney has been sneaking as much Marvel stuff as they can into the parks for the last several years. You have to figure eventually, they'll buy Universal out. There is now a Marvel-only themed store in Downtown Disney at Disney World.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

I went to Universal's Marvel Island this winter. I was disappointed by the lack of "exclusive" figures...they just had regular Toy Store stuff. That wasn't the case the first time I went years ago.
            sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              The best part was the Ramones Spider-Man theme cover used in the parking garage.
              Hell yeah! I LOVE The Ramones version of that!
              sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

The superhero "appearances" I saw at Universal a few years back was wonderfully lame. It really hadn't evolved much since the superhero show I saw at Great Adventure in the 70's- simple spandex costumes, bad fight scenes with a booming, unmatched audio track. It really took me back.

I do think Disney would create a much more visually interesting stunt show.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
                  The superhero "appearances" I saw at Universal a few years back was wonderfully lame. It really hadn't evolved much since the superhero show I saw at Great Adventure in the 70's- simple spandex costumes, bad fight scenes with a booming, unmatched audio track. It really took me back.
                  Me too, they came in on ATVs and rode around, then posed for photos. My then four year old son quivered behind me the entire time. I was transported back to Woolco for a few minutes but he probably has nightmares.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

SeaWorld ruled, what are you talking about?!
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

It's just been announced that Marvel is going to feature prominently at the new Shanghai Disney theme park (along with Star Wars and Tron).
                      The upcoming Shanghai Disneyland will boast six themed lands, many specially designed for Chinese guests.

The Universal IOA Spider-Man ride is replicated in Universal Japan, and I have a great love of all the wacky exclusive merchandise you can purchase in the Japanese theme park store compared to Florida... I think I dropped about $500 on everything from keychains, vinyl figures, Ramen noodles, cookies, yo-yo's etc. Facebook gallery here if anyone is interested:

Marvel Adventure City in Niagara Fall's Clifton Hill was cheesy as heck, but I couldn't get enough of it and visited it multiple times. The Spider-Man ride was actually pretty good for Clifton Hill standards, the Hulk encounter was trippy. The only exclusive merch I ever found there was a reprint of Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and a Bobble head.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        SeaWorld ruled, what are you talking about?!
                        Truly, it did. There's only so much you can do w/the live heroes---and, that was cool---as is any kind of appearance, I'd say. The more, the better.
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                          Most of the WB/DC stuff is already at Six Flags. Just saw on their website they have some kind of Lazer Tag ride for the Justice League.
                          and
                          Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          Disney has been sneaking as much Marvel stuff as they can into the parks for the last several years. You have to figure eventually, they'll buy Universal out. There is now a Marvel-only themed store in Downtown Disney at Disney World.
                          is pretty much the vibe I'm getting as well---which is why, as I said above, I think nothing will change as far as something dramatically as a separate Marvel-themed park. Too much risk---too little return.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                            Persistent Member
                            • Apr 28, 2013

They still have the Spider-Man 3D ride at Universal, dont they? I rode that in Orlando and got off the ride and headed straight back in again. What a cool experience. I'll say this as just a casual visitor (and not knowing the business), Disney has rested on it's laurels for far too long. It has to be an astronomical cost to set up new rides, because that park should be two stories high by now, and the stuff that was already there should be insanely good with updates and new technology.
                            Japanese crowds will wait for hours on a weekend, like two plus hours for the Safari Ride. That sh#t is insane.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

My big regret is never having visited the short lived Marvel Mania restaurant. That would have been fun. I guessed it tied in with the Marvel stuff at Universal at the time? I sure it was overpriced and a cheesy tourist trap, but I would have loved it none the less.

Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 27, '15, 11:55 PM.
                              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Wee67
                                The superhero "appearances" I saw at Universal a few years back was wonderfully lame.
                                That's one thing that has changed. The Superhero Costumes have improved, especially Captain America's.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎