X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZombieJimC
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 12, 2014

Best Flash, Green Lantern or Green Arrow stories

Ok DC people, I need your help again. What are the best Green Lantern and or Flash or Green Arrow stories that I could pick up in a TPB? I would like to hear your opinions about all 3 characters. I have the GL/GA Adams Oneil 2 trades and the Long Bow Hunters. Thats it. I enjoyed your responses from my JLA and Superman thread, I thought I would try again. Thanks!!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

For the Flash, I'd recommend the return of Barry Allen trade. This is by Mark Waid and Greg Laroque. Fantastic run of stories.

Green Lantern: Rebirth is actually worthy of the hype, and I recommend that. By Geoff Johns and Evan Van Sciver.

For Green Lantern AND Green Arrow, you can't go wrong with the O'Neil/Adams Hard Travelling Heroes.

GA on his own? Go for Mike Grell's The Longbow Hunters.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Flash:Rebirth reads much better as a trade than it did as single issues. Also by Johns and Van Sciver.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
        Banned
        • Jun 23, 2001

I love this Green Arrow Mini Series:

http://www.comics.org/series/2717/

IMHO Trevor Von Eeden's Green Arrow art is so underrated. I think that his Green Arrow ranks up there with Adams as far as the "Classic" Green Arrow. It's a little tough to find and I don't think they have reprinted it yet. Also Von Eeden's Green Arrow run in Worlds Finest is fantastic. Worlds Finest 251 is the first Count Vertigo...but I think Von Eeden had started a few issues earlier:

http://www.comics.org/issue/32318/

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I'm more partial to Infantino Flash and Gil Kane GL. The Jack Kirby Green Arrow stuff is great reading if you are into 50s SF superhero stuff.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• johnnystorm
            Hot Child in the City
            • Jul 3, 2008

Kevin Smith's Green Arrow run wasn't bad, I think with another artist it might have rated higher, I think Hester's art was a little too cartoonish. The Jack Kirby run is great, and I'm not sure it was collected anywhere, but I always enjoyed the Dick Dillin backup stories from Action Comics.
            For Green Lantern, I'd recommend the Golden Age Archives with the Alan Scott GL, and the Showcase silver age books.
            Ditto the Showcase Flash volumes.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

In my opinion, the best of Geoff Johns' runs on the Flash was the Wally West years. It started with the prestige one-shot Iron Heights. Available as a series of omnibus. The Flash Rebirth/52 run with Barry Allan kind of forms the basis of the current TV show, but I think it really became a bit too convoluted trying to reconcile continuity, cross-overs and time paradoxes, compared to the Wally run, which focused on the character of Wally (we saw him as a real working class kind of guy, within a more industrial Keystone city) and really developed the personalities of the Rogues. Hunter Zolomon as Zoom, the new Reverse Flash in particular was a very compelling character (and likely helped to inspire Harrison Wells on the current TV show).

The first in a series of hardcover volumes that collect all of the bestselling issues of THE FLASH written by comics superstar Geoff Johns.
              In this volume, Wally West finds himself without his super speed in a darker, mirror version of Keystone City. Can a powerless Flash defeat Captain Cold and Mirror Master to save the city he loves? Plus, the Flash is shocked to learn that a strange cult is killing all the people he has ever rescued. Featuring art by fan-favorites Ethan Van Sciver, Scott Kolins and more!

Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 28, '15, 11:45 AM.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Kyle Rayner and Conner Hawke don't tend to get much love around these parts, but it was during Grant Morrison's run on JLA which made me start to care about these 90's upstarts. Morrison formed a kind of trinity with the Wally West Flash, Green Lantern and Green Arrow as younger legacy heroes.

my favourite single issue of Morrison's run had Conner Hawke take on The Key in the JLA watchtower on the moon, with only his dad's ridiculous trick arrows available to him.

There was also a crossover that I quite enjoyed with the three heroes within their own books, that Morrison was involved in.

IMHO, Kevin Smith FINALLY figured out how to write for comic books with his Green Arrow series. Which detailed the return of Oliver Queen, and fully embraced more supernatural aspects that would have been out of place in the Grell or Dixon runs. However, it too often overshadows the better Brad Metzger run, co-starring Speedy/Arsenel, in a legacy story with some heart and nostalgic underpinnings.

One of the most eagerly anticipated graphic novels of the year: white-hot creator Kevin Smith revives (literally!) comicdom's classic hothead character, Oliver Queen, aka Green Arrow. And Ollie's back in Star City doing what he does best: challenging corporate fatcats, bringing down corrupt politicians and battling drug dealers. But what is the true story behind his mysterious resurrection? With Smith's masterful characterisation and eye for action, this an exciting new chapter in the history of the Emerald Archer.

Green Arrow died. Then he came back to life. But in the meantime, the Shade dropped the ball on a job Green Arrow had asked him to take care of in the event of his death: gathering various artifacts to protect Green Arrow's identity (and, by extension, his family and friends). So the reborn superhero and his old sidekick, Speedy, now known as Arsenal, embark on "The Archer's Quest," gathering those artifacts and taking several trips down memory lane.
                Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 28, '15, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

For Barry Allan and Hal Jordan fans, who gravitate towards more Silver Age content, one of the all time most under-rated Flash and Green Lantern series, was the Brave and Bold miniseries by Mark Waid and Barry Kitson. In the nineties, it was a breath of fresh air during a time when Barry was dead and Hal was dead or Parallax or the Spectre or whatever.

Wally fans got to see him as a Green Lantern.

and this issue with Ollie was priceless.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 12, 2014

This is Great! Thanks so much all!!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡