Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrWhoMego
    • Apr 16, 2014

Discoloration Mystery

I received a replacement Mego for my original Giant Robot. The replacement has a discolored body, neck and head, where the arms, etc. are all the same color (image posted to this thread). My original was all one color...

I’ll assume that over its 40 years the replacement Mego may have been subjected to direct sunlight, or some such ilk. That’s possibly what caused the discoloration.

Is there any other reason that one Mego would have discoloration issues, but another one of the same doesn’t?

Outside of keeping it out of direct sunlight in a closed cabinet with outside air-conditioning, is there anything else I can do to stop it from possibly getting worse?

• Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

That dirt/grime/discoloration may be from the person you bought it from. If they were a smoker...this is what happens when it is in the same room. This can also happen if you leave a figure in a dark humid room. The humidity and dust will combine and create a film on the figure that makes it look like discoloration. I would try cleaning it with distilled water and clear All liquid detergent. I have a solution I use to clean records/LP's. Gets rid of mold and grime on records. I use a 8 oz. ketchup dispenser that you can find at Home Depot or any other store like Home Depot. Fill to the 8 Oz line and then using an eye dropper count out 6 drops of the All Clear liquid detergent. Shake well and then either use a microfiber towel and wipe on the solution and then wipe off with another towel that has just distilled water on it and then dry with another microfiber towel. The distilled water insures that there is no "junk" in the water and the clear All liquid detergent doesn't use any perfumes or dyes...so that won't damage the vinyl/figure. Here's the solution formula just in case:

4 parts distilled water, 3 drops of unscented detergent

Do NOT use any isoprophyl alcohol on the figure. You will melt the plastic/vinyl. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
      Career Member
      • Apr 30, 2015

You could also try Hydrogen Peroxide (30%). I used it on a Wampa that had yellowed over time and it came up nice and fresh.

Comment

• AcroRay
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 17, 2005

Prolonged exposure to heat will occasionally trigger the yellow discoloration as well: long-term storage in a hot attic or shed.
        Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
        AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
        The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
        Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍