Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I don't think we should blame the young here, I wouldn't want any Roy Rogers or Hopalong Cassidy toys no matter how freaking nice they are. My kids love action figures BTW but they like Star Wars, Pacific Rim and Teen Titans mainly.

When I deal toys, I'm often shocked how I sell William Hartnell figures to 20 year old girls.

I think the problem is Apes just doesn't have the scope of a Star Wars, that makes me sad but i guess classic apes is kind of niche.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
      I don't think we should blame the young here, I wouldn't want any Roy Rogers or Hopalong Cassidy toys no matter how freaking nice they are. My kids love action figures BTW but they like Star Wars, Pacific Rim and Teen Titans mainly.

When I deal toys, I'm often shocked how I sell William Hartnell figures to 20 year old girls.

I think the problem is Apes just doesn't have the scope of a Star Wars, that makes me sad but i guess classic apes is kind of niche.

There are always exceptions Brian, and I think it's only part of the problem...my point was when we were growing up we played with toys based on decades old movies and TV shows and it didn't matter that they weren't the newest thing. We liked them because they were cool. Classic Apes and Star Trek haven't changed since we were kids, but just try getting the average ten year old to play with toys from either, and it ain't gonna happen. Most are just not willing to give them the chance we did.

***Besides, It's my sworn duty as a crotchety old fart to blame kids for everything.
      Last edited by enyawd72; Jul 31, '15, 8:42 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
        There are always exceptions Brian, and I think it's only part of the problem...my point was when we were growing up we played with toys based on decades old movies and TV shows and it didn't matter that they weren't the newest thing. We liked them because they were cool. Classic Apes and Star Trek haven't changed since we were kids, but just try getting the average ten year old to play with toys from either, and it ain't gonna happen. Most are just not willing to give them the chance we did.

***Besides, It's my sworn duty as a crotchety old fart to blame kids for everything.
        I hear you.

I think it has a lot more to do with exposure. We played with Apes because it was new, we played Star Trek and Batman because it was in constant syndication. I had treasury editions reprinting classic Ditko Spider-Man and Kirby Fantastic Four.

Kids still buy Batman figures and you can't kick a rock without seeing the Marvel and Star Wars crew. Those aren't new by any means.

The other trouble for action figures is the Lego aisle, it's loaded with classic and new properties. My son visits that aisle first.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ I think we also have to recognize that even though we have such immense love and reverence for the original movie and television series, it was not setting the world on fire at the box office or in toy sales. The movies were successful to a point, but the television series failed to take hold and the Mego toy line was only a modest success before it flamed out as well. In fact, I would dare guess the lack of big success with Apes may have made Mego less enticed to gamble with the then-unknown Star Wars offering when it came knocking. So while I think Apes will always have it's rabid fans (and I would count myself in that group) I think it does remain mostly a niche market in terms of volume.

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

This news really blows...

BTW: I checked my local Toys R Us to see if they had them in stock, they had none at the time... That was a few weeks ago, so I'll check again to see if they got any in stock in the meantime... If they don't have them, I'm not sure where I'll get them...

Originally posted by Confessional
            ^^ Unfortunately they were the worst selling SDCC exclusive. The remaining stock is being pushed out to TRU/Hastings and they are working on adding them to the eBay store. At least the scalpers will get the shaft.

Over the past few days Randy has said the line is near (just awaiting official company announcement?) dead and cited the classic movies just being too old with a small audience.

Such a shame with Julius, Veska, Urko, TV-Soldier 3-Pack, Ape-O-nauts, and additional Soldiers with new accessories canned. He mentioned we can visit the prototypes in their studio tour. :(

Comment

• scoth70
              Persistent Member
              • Oct 17, 2008

let me know if you have any luck...id love to get extra conquest apes .....

I grabbed mine on ebay as soon as I could when they showed up and the price was high but still lower than whats on offer now...but I wanted this set no matter what.. glad I got it...

Originally posted by apes3978

BTW: I checked my local Toys R Us to see if they had them in stock, they had none at the time... That was a few weeks ago, so I'll check again to see if they got any in stock in the meantime... If they don't have them, I'm not sure where I'll get them...

Comment

• Judson's
                • Oct 23, 2007

GoHastings is selling them individually still. Caesar and Aldo are $26.99 each and the Conquest Gorilla is $34.99 (for some strange reason - maybe he's rarer?).

Shipping isn't bad - about $4. Per their site though, they only ship to "continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, APO, FPO, and US territories".

http://www.gohastings.com/catalog/se...rch-button.y=0

Comment

• scoth70
                  Persistent Member
                  • Oct 17, 2008

yes thanks for that... but that's the problem...im in uk....

Originally posted by Judson's
                  GoHastings is selling them individually still. Caesar and Aldo are $26.99 each and the Conquest Gorilla is $34.99 (for some strange reason - maybe he's rarer?).

Shipping isn't bad - about $4. Per their site though, they only ship to "continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, APO, FPO, and US territories".

http://www.gohastings.com/catalog/se...rch-button.y=0

Comment

• JimCem99
                    New Yorker stuck in Hell!
                    • Jan 30, 2010

Originally posted by scoth70
                    yes thanks for that... but that's the problem...im in uk....
                    Maybe someone can buy for you, and ship it over.

Comment

• scoth70
                      Persistent Member
                      • Oct 17, 2008

I was hoping some one could as ive done favours myself here on the museum.. but no one has offered help :(

Originally posted by JimCem99
                      Maybe someone can buy for you, and ship it over.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I'm going to the states sometime, i'll keep you posted. Tempted to get a set for myself.

Comment

• scoth70
                          Persistent Member
                          • Oct 17, 2008

thanks brian..just looking to build up a few more red boiler suit conquest apes....I have one... and would also say get yourself a set..these really are great looking figures

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I'm going to the states sometime, i'll keep you posted. Tempted to get a set for myself.

Comment

• johnpauljones
                            • Oct 13, 2007

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            Part of the problem is today's youth. Most of them are simply not interested in anything they deem "old". They are too busy with the latest electronics and new "tech".
                            The NECA Apes were incredibly well done and should have been able to not only stand on their own merits, but actually generate interest in the classic films.
                            The classic Apes film and television series ended only 40 years ago, but to today's generation it may as well be 400 years.
                            When our generation was growing up in the 70's we were buying toys based on Universal monster films from the 1930's and 40's. Even Star Trek and Batman were a decade old when we played with our Megos. We didn't care. We embraced movies and TV from the past...something most of today's kids simply will not do.
                            I almost curse the day when video games were invented. They have stripped away so much of what it meant to be a kid, and the worst part is, the current generation who has grown up with the damn things have absolutely no idea what they're missing out on.
                            I think a big part of the difference is back then we had 3 channels. The channel that ran new shows, like Six Million Dollar Man, in prime time ran Star Trek (10 years old) after the news, and the old Universal monster movies on Friday nights. You could buy new comics that had a new story followed by a reprint from the 40s and a reprint from the 50s. Everything was packaged together instead of specifically targeted like it is now. Older stuff was marketed as classic instead of being derided as cheesy. We liked older entertainment because it was presented alongside the new and we saw it all as one big picture.

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by scoth70
                              let me know if you have any luck...id love to get extra conquest apes .....

I grabbed mine on ebay as soon as I could when they showed up and the price was high but still lower than whats on offer now...but I wanted this set no matter what.. glad I got it...
                              I went to Toys R Us tonight and had no luck... Plenty of Series 2 Zaius figures, a few of the Gorilla Soldier, and about six of the 8" Gorilla Soldier, but *nothing* in regard to Series 3...

I even asked the guy stocking that aisle if they had them and he told me that what they have out on display is it...

Comment

• Confessional
                                Maker & Whatnot
                                • Aug 8, 2012

If anyone is still chasing, NECA recently added the TRU set to their eBay store: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Planet-of-th...item3d04aa284a

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎