Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

What's most fascinating to me is how Fox is going after the youth demographic by casting their characters in their teens/twenty-somethings in both Fantastic Four and X-Men Apocalypse. The trailer has the look and feel of the recent spate of Teen Lit adaptations like Divergent or Hunger Games.

In contrast, Marvel Studios has been generally casting older of late. Paul Rudd is in his forties. Mark Ruffalo is in his forties. Paul Bettany is in his forties. Benedict Cumberbatch is entering his forties by the time Doctor Strange is released. ditto Chadwick Boseman for Black Panther. Robert Downey was in the forties for the bulk of Iron Man, just entered his fifties. ditto Don Cheadle. Chris' Evans, Pratt and Helmsworth are all in their thirties now, Scarlet Johansson just turned thirty. Elizabeth Olson is the only one in her twenties.

Spider-Man seems to be the exception, with them casting younger than he's ever been cinematically, but it should provide a refreshing contrast, particularly if the new movie is set against his membership within the Avengers.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 28, '15, 2:25 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

I just read somewhere that the reviews have been embargoed until the films release. That's not a good sign.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Here's that story...

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, this is going to tank. Even my daughter, hardly the world's greatest FF fan, was laughing at the standee this weekend. Stuff like "Mr Fantastic looks my age" and "why is the Thing naked?".

Watching Ant Man the other day and I thought that scene with Stark and Agent Carter, it would have been cool to have a young Reed Richards in there.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
            Wow, this is going to tank. Even my daughter, hardly the world's greatest FF fan, was laughing at the standee this weekend. Stuff like "Mr Fantastic looks my age" and "why is the Thing naked?".

Watching Ant Man the other day and I thought that scene with Stark and Agent Carter, it would have been cool to have a young Reed Richards in there.
            My kid says roughly the same. Everyone asks why Thing is naked. Trank's Golem metaphor didn't really take hold.

Funny you mention a flashback scene. I kept thinking if they wanted to make the FF a New Mutants stand-in, they should have had a scene where kid Reed interviews with Xavier but chooses the Storm Center...or Future Foundation...or whatever it's called...That way it would distinguish the two groups.

When Millar and Bendis created Storm's father as patriarch, they didn't care how it turned the FF into an aping of Xavier Institute. They apparently thought the "military-industrial complex" angle made it distinct, but that cliche has been done to death.

Comment

• clemso
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 8, 2001

If the Thing wears his classic trench coat for walking on the street, he will look literally be a flasher.

Originally posted by hedrap
              My kid says roughly the same. Everyone asks why Thing is naked. Trank's Golem metaphor didn't really take hold.

Funny you mention a flashback scene. I kept thinking if they wanted to make the FF a New Mutants stand-in, they should have had a scene where kid Reed interviews with Xavier but chooses the Storm Center...or Future Foundation...or whatever it's called...That way it would distinguish the two groups.

When Millar and Bendis created Storm's father as patriarch, they didn't care how it turned the FF into an aping of Xavier Institute. They apparently thought the "military-industrial complex" angle made it distinct, but that cliche has been done to death.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

My drive home was plagued with the typical questions, "does the Thing go to the bathroom?" and "If so, where are his parts?" followed by the classic comments about being sanitary. I seriously don't have the answers to these questions, why didn't Fox just put him in briefs?

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Hahaha. I'm guessing it becomes a ribbing by Torch, so he puts them on at the end, the whole " baptism by fire" shtick that leads to a team conclusion.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

This radio interviewer crossed the line...er toed the line:

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

The sad thing is even a turd like Green Lantern grossed its money back. This FF could rival Batman and Robin for worse superhero Comic book movie of all time. I have to pass based on principle since that awful rise of the Silver Surfer stinker got my 5 dollars.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Right now it's tracking to make $46 million. At a budget of $125 million, it will need overseas help to likely get it's money back because I don't see it hanging around long. Probably see black by the time DVD's come out.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

It might not unseat the new Mission Impossible on its second week of debuting.
                          sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

And why is Dr. Doom so screwed up? Why can't he be a vain despot with Tony Stark aspirations? Is Fox afraid of hurting overseas sales in Central Europe?

I must say, for good or ill, much of classic Marvel's villainy is founded in stereotype, xenophobia, and the Red Scare.

But I still want the Mandarin to be Eurasian and say "'F' You" to both America and China...
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Say what you will about the previous films, which screwed up Reed and Doom. They at least got Johnny and Ben right.

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

It won't lose money, the question is does it need non-theatrical to recoup, all those streams are usually pure profit.
                                Last edited by hedrap; Aug 3, '15, 8:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎