X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Hannibal Season 3

anyone else still watching? (particularly after the cancellation news) I've really enjoyed it so far, but I'm hearing many folks find it slow and plodding as it gets "artier".

Having read all the books, and seen all the movies, I think Season 3's been an admirable amalgam of some of the better parts of the mythology introduced in the Hannibal Rising and Hannibal novels (which I've always viewed as kind of problematic in relation to Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs... particularly when it comes to Clarice Starling).

Looking forward to seeing their take on Red Dragon, especially seeing what new things they are going to bringing in, since it's been adapted twice prior now (love Manhunter).

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

We still really like it. Hope it gets picked up by Netflix or Amazon. It is slow, but that doesn't bother me, since it's not boring. It still amazes me what they get away with on this show. I'm a horror fan, but some of the gore turns my stomach!
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

I like this show a lot. I was never fond of the movies.
      It's an intelligent show. More about psychology than chases and action. I actually find this Hannibal interesting to watch, while Hopkins felt like a cartoon version to me.
      They only showed season 1 here, and that was it. I need to hunt down season 2.
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 28, 2013

I like the show but the finale and start of season 3 has been too artsy for me. I dont get grossed out very easily, so the gore doesnt make up for any of the drawbacks. It's not the pace but this kind of "love" the two characters have for each other that kind of gets to me. Makes Will seem like a beaten wife that keeps going back for more. He also doesnt seem like the type of character Hannibal would allow to live for as long as he has.

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

A couple of guys I know work on the show, and love doing it - so I hope it carries on just for that!

I like lots of elements of the show, some I'm not crazy about, but think my favorite part of the show is all the crazy sounds and music. Really weird and great stuff.

I don't find Will's character super compelling, and I appreciate that they didn't try to copy Hopkins' take on Hannibal, but I find this version a tad dry. In both cases I think the actors are great, even if the characters aren't super exciting to me - I like watching them. If that makes sense?

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

Love the music, especially from the first episode of this season.
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Brazoo
              A couple of guys I know work on the show, and love doing it - so I hope it carries on just for that!
              I've noticed Vincenzo Natali (Cube) has been directing.

I think it was you that pointed out how much of an influence Twin Peaks was on this series? They really are blurring the line now between "reality" and Will's dream/waking states.

I agree that the sound design on this show is incredible.

They really are pulling out the stops with Hannibal as seducer... Something that may solve the Clarice stuff down the line IF the show continues past NBC

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

Still watching here,while gruesome in many scenes the show is fantastic.
                I coUld really do without seeing all the stag/man stag visions.
                I get it already he's on a hunt down and he's hungry like the wolf...lol
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Drzsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 9, 2011

i love everything about this show.

Comment

• Brazoo
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by samurainoir
                    I've noticed Vincenzo Natali (Cube) has been directing.
                    I feel bad about it, but I never did get around to seeing Cube.

I think it was you that pointed out how much of an influence Twin Peaks was on this series? They really are blurring the line now between "reality" and Will's dream/waking states.
                    Hmm - I don't think that was me - but I have to admit that I'm senile. I'm also likely to think all TV drama post-Peaks had Peaks influence. I tend to see TV through Peaks coloured glasses!

They really are pulling out the stops with Hannibal as seducer... Something that may solve the Clarice stuff down the line IF the show continues past NBC
                    That's interesting. The TV Hannibal is more convincing as a sexual seducer than the film version, to me. I could see why Hopkins' version was fascinating to Clarice, but I didn't get what they were doing with the romantic arc implied in the follow up movie. I think you were telling me they went even further with that in the books.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Brazoo
                      That's interesting. The TV Hannibal is more convincing as a sexual seducer than the film version, to me. I could see why Hopkins' version was fascinating to Clarice, but I didn't get what they were doing with the romantic arc implied in the follow up movie. I think you were telling me they went even further with that in the books.
                      It's been a decades since I threw the novel Hannibal, across the room in disgust/anger after reading that closing scene but IIRC...

(SPOILERS)

It's not dissimilar to the way Gillian Anderson's character has ended up with Hannibal (IIRC, Anderson was a contender for the role of Clarice in Silence of the Lambs, but her X-Files contract prohibited her from playing another FBI agent?). Clarice, joins Hannibal in eating her boss' brains, under the influence of hypnosis/drugs or something, and eventually becomes his lover/accomplice. I believe Foster, having read the book, felt it was a betrayal of the character she played in Silence of the Lambs, and did not reprise the role in the film version of Hannibal, which ended up going to Juliana Moore.

Still a big fan of the novel versions of Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. I enjoyed parts of the Hannibal Rising novel, exploring Hannibal's origins, which are currently being used in Season 3 of the show.
                      Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 6, '15, 1:55 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Hannibal might continue in film...

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Finally finished binge watching Season 3. Was really kind of neat to finally get into familiar territory when the second half started adapting Red Dragon.

I felt like it wrapped up well in general, although they seem to have really pulled back a small bit on the avant-garde artsy dream-like cinema tropes that has been a hallmark of the show. (although that might also be the switch up of directors as well?)

Now I'm really curious about how they could have pulled off Silence of the Lambs for Season 4. Would they have written Will out of the show and given the show a soft reboot, or found a way to keep him in and put Clarice back into the tug of war between him and Hannibal (which admittedly was starting to wear a little thin given how overwrought it got).

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎