Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ant-Man gets small for the first time...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Ant-Man gets small for the first time...

After watching this clip, I am now even more convinced that ANT-MAN, while not pulling in AVENGERS or GUARDIANS numbers, is still gonna be as entertaining as hell and a rollicking good time. I think MARVEL will have yet another hit to crow about...

sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Boy, you ain't kidding! I think this looks fantastic.
    It seems Marvel's characters are translating effortlessly to the screen.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Hmmm, it's hard to know how this will fly domestically. The name is not a known brand and it's getting most of it's mileage on the gimmick of shrinking and how many ways they can make that either funny or fascinating. So it's kind of a one trick pony in terms of plot contrivances. How long they can pull that rabbit out of the hat is pretty much the fate of this movie. While it's certainly a fun idea, I don't think this is another Guardians waiting to take the world by storm. Add in the current hero fatigue factor and I think big numbers are a stretch. I can see Thor-type numbers if it's embraced as a clever idea, but I don't see this doing Iron man 3 numbers. That ship has sailed. I think the bigger question here is how much budget they have invested in effects to bring this home. It's almost a given the movie will likely do better overseas like most films these days. We're a fickle country here at home. When you have the fourth installment of a dinosaur series beating the first sequel in the Avengers series, that's saying something. This will be another test on the hero market to see if audiences welcome more lower tiered heroes after Guardians. It will be interesting to watch.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

It's going to be very predictable, paint-by-the-Marvel-numbers storyline...but 3D and IMAX have a huge upside with its visual perspective.

This is the first live-action shrinky-dink effect for 3D/IMAX, IIRC. That's going to have a major audience interest. Jurassic World did such insane numbers because a huge majority wanted to see it in the high-end formats, which is a 50-100% increase per ticket. So while the actual audience size hasn't exponentially grown, they're willing to pay premium.

That alone should get Ant-Man above Thor 2's 84 million. If Ant does less than 75, it's still easily profitable, but Marvel has three problems; audience fatigue, bad marketing, Rudd. I still think we're around 90. Trainwreck is going to pull a lot of women, which Marvel usually does solid numbers with.

Comment

• clemso
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 8, 2001

Like Guardians, there is no pressure for Ant-Man to do well. Marvel can take a hit and it won't impact anything. They have a great track record, so its not a win or bust thing like Bats V Supes. Ant-Man does look like a fun movie though. Just read James Gunn's review and he has given it the thumps up.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I'm excited for it, but I'm a little worried they are showing the entire movie in all the clips we've seen. I've decided to pretty much ignore anything from now on, until July 17th.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I actually found it a bit under promoted but i live in a cave.

It'll do fine I'm sure, it's neat and has some laughs.

As for Jurassic World beating the Avengers, every kid who played who saw those movies in the 90s is in their mid to late twenties, that's huge, plus it has one of Marvel's bigger stars in it.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^It may be that the Disney channels are beating it to death. My kids keep it on those channels.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Keeler
                  • Jun 22, 2009

Paul Rudd is a plus here. Good casting especially considering the material.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                    I actually found it a bit under promoted but i live in a cave.

It'll do fine I'm sure, it's neat and has some laughs.

As for Jurassic World beating the Avengers, every kid who played who saw those movies in the 90s is in their mid to late twenties, that's huge, plus it has one of Marvel's bigger stars in it.
                    That, and the overall world wide fascination with dinosaurs.
                    sigpic

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 13, 2009

Originally posted by Keeler
                      Paul Rudd is a plus here. Good casting especially considering the material.
                      Yep, agree. Rudd takes it from "home rental" to "opening night" for me.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                        Hmmm, it's hard to know how this will fly domestically.
                        No pun intended of course...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎