Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Not a fan of MOTU but I won't pretend these aren't a good idea. Super 7 does a nicer job than Funko on this stuff IMHO.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, these actually LOOK retro, which Funko has been falling down on, in my opinion.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
        Not a fan of MOTU but I won't pretend these aren't a good idea. Super 7 does a nicer job than Funko on this stuff IMHO.
        I agree. But Funko does a better job on amassing licenses and offering a large variety of properties that interest me. Completely different business models.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I agree. But Funko does a better job on amassing licenses and offering a large variety of properties that interest me. Completely different business models.
          One could argue they amass too much at once, and quality suffers from line to line. The Jaws figures and shark look fantastic, though.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Figuremod73
            That 80's guy
            • Jul 27, 2011

I wish Blackstar and Bravestarr could be given this kind of treatment.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              One could argue they amass too much at once, and quality suffers from line to line. The Jaws figures and shark look fantastic, though.

Chris
              Look closer at the Jaws figure pics. They exhibit so much Funko style, I'm surprised you and others aren't seeing it. Large heads, soft sculpts... it's all there. They're not as extreme as the Trek figures, but there's no doubt they are Funko. They'd never be confused with ZICA or Super7.

Odd how a thread that doesn't involve Funko devolves into a backhanded Funko slap.

Again.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
                Sure they have more properties but I often pass on the output. I'm actually flirting with buying this MOTU line because they look kinda sweet. So I guess mileage varies on that business model.

I could be wrong but that feels like practical sculpting and that seems to evoke a certain vibe to it on it's own.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Odd how a thread that doesn't involve Funko devolves into a backhanded Funko slap.

Again.
                  Because it's one of their so called partners on Reaction, to be fair, it's related.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Look closer at the Jaws figure pics. They exhibit so much Funko style, I'm surprised you and others aren't seeing it. Large heads, soft sculpts... it's all there. They're not as extreme as the Trek figures, but there's no doubt they are Funko. They'd never be confused with ZICA or Super7.
                    If you didn't tell me those figures were from Jaws, I'd still recognize them as Jaws characters. Biff and George McFly look absolutely nothing like the characters at all.

But you're right, this isn't the place to get into that again. These MOTU figures are sweet!!!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

I pass on probably more Funko than I buy, but I love what they're doing. Lots of their properties aren't for me. They have their own style, and clearly it's not for everyone.

I've never been a huge MOTU fan, but these do hit the sweet spot don't they? Now if they can card them with some Earl Norem art, and paint them colorfully, they've got my dollars. I hope they are made available at a decent price point.

Here's a thought... Maybe Super7 can be the first to use some good old fashioned shiny GLOSS paint on these. Nobody in the retro game has quite nailed that yet.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        If you didn't tell me those figures were from Jaws, I'd still recognize them as Jaws characters. Biff and George McFly look absolutely nothing like the characters at all.
                        Costuming has a lot to do with that.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                          That 80's guy
                          • Jul 27, 2011

If they were to use the original artwork from the old toys, I would never take these out of the packages. I'm pretty excited about these.

Comment

• acrovader
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 19, 2011

Looks like Super7 is doing He-Man! Kenner Style!

SDCC Exclusives are Unpainted Prototypes. Surprised Mattel is letting them do this.

I won't chase the unpainted prototypes, but I'm down for some painted ones. These look pretty awesome. Mattel's proportions bothered me from their inception.
                            Awesome news. And I agree exactly with what you've said.
                            I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 30, 2015

First thing that springs to mind is what are the backing cards going to look like for the official release figures. If they get it right, you can count me in for a set of these. They look fantastic.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                                Invincible Ironing Man
                                • Feb 28, 2008

They already have the nostalgic look needed to make this work. In color, and on nice cards, these could be just right.
                                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎