Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrWhoMego
    • Apr 16, 2014

Doctor Who’s Giant Robot Defeated?

Apparently, and it was crushed by it’s own weight...

I’ve had this Mego for 10 years now. He and the rest of the set stand in a windowed curio cabinet and are air conditioned at 77-78 degrees. The other day I heard a “clank” from that side of the house, and what met me during investigation is in the attached picture.

Talk about a Mego horror story!

I get that the rubber-band skeleton snapped and untethered. What’s odd is that it actually happened after all these years of not being touched (outside of annual dusting), and being in storage. I was lucky and found a replacement. It’s coming from the UK, and I live in AZ USA. It’s 100+ degrees over here, so I hope the new one makes it here okay…but I digress.

Is there a way to repair this Mego without needing to pry apart the body? Is this robot simply scrap at this point?

• AcroRay
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 17, 2005

I think you could probably do a variation of the 8" Mego re-stringing method, described various places here & on-line. You would likely have to add a sort of eye-hook to the tops of the legs and the bottom of the head, in place of the anchor points for the elastic bands. However, the method would probably be similar. You would just not be including the arms in the elastic loop.

Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
    AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
    The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
    Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍