X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Horror Express

I DVRed this movie during TCM's Christopher Lee tribute marathon, and watched it this weekend. I have it on one of those Anchor Bay 50 movie sets, but I never got around to it, despite hearing good things, and having two of my favorites, Lee and Cushing.

This was a damn good movie! And creepy! It was legitimately unsettling in parts. I expected the usual Hammer tropes of the time, but this was more sinister. The "fossil" was well conceived, and the eye trick worked as well. Sure, you could kind of tell they built make-up around the eye sockets, but it was still well-done. Of course well-acted by Lee and Cushing, and it was nice to see Lee as a protagonist again. I really like his heroic turn in "The Devil Rides Out". Plus, Telly Savalas, baby!

I was thinking this was similar to The Thing and the original The Thing from Another World, and it turns out they are all based on the same novella.

Chris
    sigpic
  • TomStrong
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2011

A favorite of mine too. Love Cushing and Lee. I liked the Hound of The Baskervilles with Lee. I enjoy the atmosphere in those Hammer films.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Funny, I was going to start a thread on this as well. I honestly can't remember if I've ever watched it start to finish before.

Like you, I had no idea it was based on "Who Goes There?" but the primate is actually somewhat faithful to the novella. I did think it was funny they gave the possessed a monster hand.

Telly Savalas kind of steals this movie during his scenes, I really enjoyed him in this.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I remember back in the mid 80's picking up the VHS of Horror Express in the Jamesway $1.00 bin (never having seen or heard of it before) and loving it ever since.

Was also pleasantly surprised the train model work was decent

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

It was in every video store here back in the 80s, I think I saw at least a dozen different covers.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

It's amazing to think a movie could go public domain in just 10 years. I get it when copyrights aren't renewed after 50 years or so, but, sheesh!

The monk guy was creepy even before he was possessed!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

The funn thing is, it wasn't done by Hammer. It was a Spanish production.

If you look at the end credits, they are all in Spanish.

This is the ONLY Christopher Lee movie that ever scared me as a kid. It was the creeep monk, the glowing eye, and the brain drain sequences that did it.
              JediJaida

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Never saw this. Adding it to my watch list.

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

I love this movie! Wonderful performances from Cushing and Lee and great atmosphere.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

The funn thing is, it wasn't done by Hammer. It was a Spanish production.

If you look at the end credits, they are all in Spanish.

This is the ONLY Christopher Lee movie that ever scared me as a kid. It was the creeep monk, the glowing eye, and the brain drain sequences that did it.
                    Oh yeah, I knew it wasn't Hammer. But being of the period, and with Lee and Cushing, I still expected that Hammer/Amicus vibe. This is far creepier than any of their films I've seen.

The brain drain scenes were disturbing. I was asking myself "How could a thousands of year old primate know how to pick a lock?" And then they explained it, since it had absorbed the memories of the thief and lockpick.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

I never thought of the Thing connection before

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

I never knew about it either, until I read the Wiki profile.

Whenever I was at my dad's house for the weekend, it always seemed that this movie was being broadcast on the local Channel 9. Or the CBS Late Movie. My dad had one of those humongous old black and white TV sets, and somehow it was much scarier in black and white than in color.

It used to scare the bejeebers out of me whenever I watched it, and I'd have nightmares. Yet, I would always watch it when it came on TV.

THAT is what makes a good scary movie.
                        JediJaida

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Just watched it again yesterday (there's a decent rip on youtube)

Does anybody know if the theme song was used anywhere else ?

It sounds sooo familiar ...

m

Comment

• daz71
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2014

love this film the monk reminds me of charles manson.

Comment

• JediJaida
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 14, 2008

It's still one of my favorite horror movies to watch. For once, Christopher Lee is not chewing up the scenery or glaring with blood red eyes at people.

The whole thing has a very nice, claustrophobic feel to it; with too many people in too small a space, and a monster on the loose draining brains willy nilly.

The ending was a bit of a surprise; I won't give any spoilers, but it's very......apt.
                              JediJaida

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎