X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Kaiju Marathon- KaiJuly Roarth

El Rey, the network that brought you the Film Infestival and Massacre-piece Theater, is running a Kaiju marathon beginning this Friday night. They're showing 9 films, repeating over three days. I can't see the listings yet, but the commercial shows the first Godzilla (Gojira) movie, Ghidora, Mechagodzilla and even Minya. I don't know enough about these films to determine which ones they show, but I will after I set my DVR.

BTW, they're showing Evil Dead 2 and Darkman right before the marathon starts.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

El Rey is quickly becoming one of my favs. They've ran stuff like Logan's Run,Big Trouble in Little China. Don't mind the kung-fu movies they air,just wish they'd air some Jackie Chan stuff from time to time.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

In order -Gojira, KOTM, Rodan, Ghidrah, Raids Again, Monster Zero, vs Mothra, Revenge, Terror Of MechaG

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

I have to look into the licensing of these, again. They used to split apart like the Hammer titles are, but I could swear Sony gained control of them all via TOHO, except with new dubs/subtitled versions. But that grouping looks a lot like the 90's when Video Treasures had Ghidrah, Raids Again, Son and Classic Media had KOTM, Rodan, Monster Zero, and a few others.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by hedrap
        In order -Gojira, KOTM, Rodan, Ghidrah, Raids Again, Monster Zero, vs Mothra, Revenge, Terror Of MechaG

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

I have to look into the licensing of these, again. They used to split apart like the Hammer titles are, but I could swear Sony gained control of them all via TOHO, except with new dubs/subtitled versions. But that grouping looks a lot like the 90's when Video Treasures had Ghidrah, Raids Again, Son and Classic Media had KOTM, Rodan, Monster Zero, and a few others.
        On Hulu some are thru Sony and some thru one of the Anime video distribution groups. Destroy All Monsters and a few others were added recently to the service.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Found it, Destroy, Megalon, Sea Monster, and Smog Monster all are streaming thru Media Blasters.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Mediablasters, That's right! I thought they went under when half the other j-Horror labels imploded.

Smog was an Orion title for decades. Destroy had no home video release until DVD. Sea Monster was a Video Treasures title that went back to Toho and Megalon was public domain on video.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by hedrap
              Destroy had no home video release until DVD.
              Actually, ADV (same company as Mediablasters?) did release this on VHS in 1998, letterboxed and everything. It was a big deal for this to finally come out (albeit dubbed not subtitled), I excitedly bought it (and still own it!). The DVD version came out a couple years later perhaps?

The North American rights of some of these are still convoluted. US rights to Godzilla vs Biolantte are still owned by Miramax for example (another letterboxed VHS I remember being happy to buy).

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

TCM had a couple Godzilla movies on tonight.

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by cjefferys
                  Actually, ADV (same company as Mediablasters?) did release this on VHS in 1998, letterboxed and everything. It was a big deal for this to finally come out (albeit dubbed not subtitled), I excitedly bought it (and still own it!). The DVD version came out a couple years later perhaps?

The North American rights of some of these are still convoluted. US rights to Godzilla vs Biolantte are still owned by Miramax for example (another letterboxed VHS I remember being happy to buy).
                  You're right. I spent several years hunting down the first VHS releases, DAM came out right about when I completed that run. It was the DVD that was out and gone in a crazy short period of time.

The Biollante rights and releases are one of the most screwed up of all. Miramax bought it, shelved it, then released that dubbed, cropped and partly fused subtitled VHS, which is easily one of the hardest things I've ever tried to watch. The laser disc is the exact same mess. I really didn't get a handle on the storyline until I bought a subtitled boot a few years later. It comes across as incredibly strange, because like the majority of westerners, I had no idea of the relationship between Japan and an Iranian immigrant community.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎