X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKotK
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by THX 1138
    When you add them to your cart, you get a pop up saying ' sold out'. So they aren't available anymore.
    Would be nice if the site told you that *before* you added things like that to your cart...I've been burned that way before and cried many a tear!

--SKot
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

Latest from the Ask DST #310:

Rob B.
      hi what’s happening with the star trek retro figure line? i was really looking forward to some new figures but have to say that i , as I’m sure many others are , am very disappointed just to see a random security man which is no particular character at all as the only fresh figure in the line . What happened to the rest of the next generation crew or the rest of the classic mirror figures and where are the girls – nurse chapel, Janice rand and vina to complete the classic line? bifbangpow have done a great job with their retro lines – which include all the girl characters. With the 50th anniversary coming up it would be great to see some new figures. Here’s hoping!

DSTChuck: The orders for the retro cloth line, both new figures and re-issues, were not strong. So we need to come up with a plan, and also work with our sales department and factory to see what we can come up with.

Not great news. One of the problems, from my perspective, is that once I decided I wanted to collect this line, well past its' shelf date, I tracked them all down, except Captain Pike and the Salt Vampire. So while it was nice to see the reissues for those that missed them and could not track down a Sulu, Klingon or Chekov, I think more people than not did manage to find them, resulting in softer orders of these reissues. And the first announced set of Kirk and the Klingon? Neither were very hard to get, on card, at great prices. Maybe that's why the set was never solicited.

I hope DST can figure out something and throw us a bone of a new, non-generic character, even if only half of a set. I think a new character in this Mego-style revival period will sell much better than most of the reissues and maybe justify a few more, even if they are all from TOS.

Comment

• alex
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 15, 2009

Thats true, U can pickup a vintage klingon on card for $35, I want to see more aliens, Im sure they will sell better than humans.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by TRDouble
          Latest from the Ask DST #310:I hope DST can figure out something and throw us a bone of a new, non-generic character, even if only half of a set. I think a new character in this Mego-style revival period will sell much better than most of the reissues and maybe justify a few more, even if they are all from TOS.
          The original issues are easy to come by IMO. some have appreciated well.

The biggest issue with rebooting the repro line IMO is the lack of momentum, and the figure choices. Collectors felt a bit burned by the Pike head and some character cancellations. Doubtless, a Romulan might have done better than a Klingon. Tweaking reissues would have helped: Kirk in a green shirt, Klingon with tunic-sash, McCoy in med tunic, Spock with saluting hand, Sulu with fencing foil--all marketable variants to reboot the line.

We'd all like to see Rand, Chapel, Leslie, perhaps M'Benga. And there are some terrific aliens that could be produced: Trelane, a properly-costumed Talosian, Orion Slave Girl, perhaps a Tellerite. These would really have more appeal as follow-ups to tweaked reissues IMO.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            The original issues are easy to come by IMO. some have appreciated well.

The biggest issue with rebooting the repro line IMO is the lack of momentum, and the figure choices. Collectors felt a bit burned by the Pike head and some character cancellations. Doubtless, a Romulan might have done better than a Klingon. Tweaking reissues would have helped: Kirk in a green shirt, Klingon with tunic-sash, McCoy in med tunic, Spock with saluting hand, Sulu with fencing foil--all marketable variants to reboot the line.

We'd all like to see Rand, Chapel, Leslie, perhaps M'Benga. And there are some terrific aliens that could be produced: Trelane, a properly-costumed Talosian, Orion Slave Girl, perhaps a Tellerite. These would really have more appeal as follow-ups to tweaked reissues IMO.
            Agreed, definitely a properly dressed Talosian, Orion Slave Girl was pictured on the Pike/Salt Vampire card with Chapel, but never issued, and Harry Mudd would be cool
            if they get the license of the likeness. I already have customs of these but would be the first in line if these were issued.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Harry Mudd would be awesome. It's possibly a better choice than Trelane.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• JediJaida
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 14, 2008

I would have liked to see a ReMego version of M'Ress from the cartoon, with a fully rooted, felinoid head, tail, and properly done back paws, and clawed hands. Not the so called clawed hands that Zira had; I mean REAL clawed hands!
                JediJaida

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

lol That's a LOT of new tooling. It's nice to wish, but don't hold your breath. That said, M'Ress would be great.

Comment

• smonte00
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 19, 2005

Does the license allow for a wrath of khan series? I wouldn't mind some old kirk, Spock and khan. They can make a saavik too. (Is that how yoiu spell it?) Maybe kirk's son?

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

I think it's safe to assume "It's dead, Jim".
                      It's a downward spiral. Retro Cloth didn't sell that great, and we saw a lot of reissues.
                      Diamond played it even safer now, adding just a few more reissues and no new figures except a Redshirt, which was an easy fix and nothing groundbreaking.
                      Fans aren't excited by a couple of reissues, and so Diamond gets few order, for the reissues of the reissues.
                      You either go full throttle and light a fire under the franchise with new, asked-for, figures, or you might as well not try anymore and put it out of its misery.
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

What I find weird is that all of these sites still have them up for pre-sale. If the line is dead,why not take them down?

Comment

• Gadgeteer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 16, 2014

After reading that Q and A from Diamond:

"DSTChuck: The orders for the retro cloth line, both new figures and re-issues, were not strong. So we need to come up with a plan, and also work with our sales department and factory to see what we can come up with."

Doesn't sound good...maybe I should cancel my order.
                          Last edited by Gadgeteer; Apr 3, '16, 1:44 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• TRDouble
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jul 10, 2012

When they say new figures, I think they needed to do better than a generic head on a red shirt and reversing the colors of a previously reissued figure.
                            Last edited by TRDouble; Apr 3, '16, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jun 22, 2011

It's going to take a new company like FTC to give the retro Trek figures new life. I don't think DST will ever do new characters. There's never going to be a better time for new retro Trek figures than the 50th anniversary. I don't care what anyone at DST says if they would offer Vina, Chapel, Talos, Neptunian and original Gorn it's my opinion sales would be much better than just reissues of reissues and generic red shirts.

Comment

• tllgn
                                Persistent Member
                                • Feb 6, 2010

I pre ordered the red shirt/reverse Cheron ,And the Sulu /Gorn .I already have the Sulu /Gorn but ordered this again because i am curious
                                to see if the new factory they are using rather then the earlier factory they used to do the first 15 figures ,to see if their different in some way.
                                could be cool if the Gorn is colored like the Frankenstein/Creature green .I think if they want to release the crew again ,then perhaps they should do
                                a enterprise gift set with complete crew .and a alien set of some sort ,perhaps with mission to gamma 6 (thats a long shot).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎