Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ivaniski
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 24, 2007

I wonder who's idea was it to go with painted heads. This is what prevented me from purchasing the Captain America from DST (yukky painted heads).

Comment

• Gadgeteer
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 16, 2014

I'm SOOO down with these!!
      I was to busy chasing Marvel Universe figures when these came out first.
      Hoping they get to Sulu and Gorn, oh and the Playset of course.
      sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Ivaniski
        I wonder who's idea was it to go with painted heads. This is what prevented me from purchasing the Captain America from DST (yukky painted heads).
        something would have to get painted on Cap's head no matter what. I really like CTVT's solutions with the Adam West Batman and cast them in flesh with painted cowl.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

Laments term......Painted heads, my wallet stays closed. However, non-painted heads that resemble original Mego head colors will keep my wallet open.
          I think you have the agreement of every single person on this site, at the very least. Is there anyone out there who actually *liked* the painted heads? I feel like the whole reason we are buying these is because of their faithfulness in appearance to original Megos...but when you take that away by painting the heads, that goes out the window. They just don't look right anymore.

I thought I had noted a post from Dr. Mego as to why the change to painted heads was made, but I couldn't find it. The best I could find were these quotes:

Originally posted by drmego
          Apr 24, '12, 9:08 AM #6
          The factory we used to make the first two years of Trek and Apes was great, but since this style of toy is not their specialty, they were not able to match it. EMCE has been working with several factories in the past few years with mixed results, but I think we have found someone who understands our needs and can deliver.

Apr 25, '12, 3:41 PM #11
          My original factory made Kirk through Gorn and series 1 of NOTLD.

Dec 11, '12, 1:45 PM
          Thanks to everyone who commented on these - positive and negative, but in all honesty - Mirror Kirk and Spock megos in 2012!!!! Even I can't believe these got made!
          As for the painted heads and the fit of the costumes - manufacturing is not an exact science unless you have complete control over the factory - and there are not enough of these figures made to justify that level of attention.
          So...it sounds like the change to painted heads corresponded with the change in factories. I really hope they've managed to find a way to go back to the non-painted heads now for the reissues.

--SKot
          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

It may simply be that the heads were intended to be cast in flesh tone, but came out a bit off and had to be painted to correct the problem.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

I hope the new ones have crappy painted faces. I got none of the painted face Trek figures, and won't. They can't manage to get the face paint color right, either. I'd rather have an incorrect colored vinyl non-painted face head, than an incorrectly colored painted face. They look like crap. I want all painted face figures to FAIL, so we don't have to see any more manufactured! Painted hands also suck!!

Comment

• SKotK
                Career Member
                • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                I hope the new ones have crappy painted faces. I got none of the painted face Trek figures, and won't. They can't manage to get the face paint color right, either. I'd rather have an incorrect colored vinyl non-painted face head, than an incorrectly colored painted face. They look like crap. I want all painted face figures to FAIL, so we don't have to see any more manufactured! Painted hands also suck!!
                Well, that's a bit too on the negative side for me, though I agree with your dislike.

Rather than fail manufacturing more painted heads (which would probably kill the line for good), I'd prefer they just went back permanently to the unpainted heads so we can get on with more new characters. Chapel, Vina, Rand, Mudd, Sarek...the list goes on. Take my money!!

--SKot
                Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• drogge
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 24, 2009

Originally posted by SKotK
                  Well, that's a bit too on the negative side for me, though I agree with your dislike.

Rather than fail manufacturing more painted heads (which would probably kill the line for good), I'd prefer they just went back permanently to the unpainted heads so we can get on with more new characters. Chapel, Vina, Rand, Mudd, Sarek...the list goes on. Take my money!!

--SKot
                  Well said!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I say, "Hope for the worst, then you can never be let down.".

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 14, 2012

On display at the Diamond Select booth at Comic-Con...
                      Christopher Pike, Sulu, Uhura, Salt Vampire, and the Enterprise Playset.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Joshua the Atomic Robot
                        On display at the Diamond Select booth at Comic-Con...
                        Christopher Pike, Sulu, Uhura, Salt Vampire, and the Enterprise Playset.
                        That was years ago, wasn't it?

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

I thought SDCC was coming up? So it's possible.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

I was making fun of remade figures going to SDCC...
                            "Look at our stuff we released years ago!" Are they reproductions of reproductions? Or are they rereproductions?
                            Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jul 8, '15, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Hopefully they throw in a new figure or two before SDCC is over.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                                Still Old School
                                • Feb 14, 2008

If they release Pike, they should redo that ugly head.
                                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎