Star Trek Retro Series 7 Sulu and Gorn Action Figure Set, (Item
    DC17767AA), because they have discontinued production of this item at this
    point in time. The order you placed for this item has been cancelled in
    our system."

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

Well, there it is Just not a very well thought out plan for revisiting this line and style. I won't hold my breath for the Red Shirt & Cheron figures.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

No, not well thought-out at all IMO.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by TRDouble
          Well, there it is Just not a very well thought out plan for revisiting this line and style. I won't hold my breath for the Red Shirt & Cheron figures.
          Very disappointing...Sulu and Gorn would have been the two most sought-after reissues, I imagine, besides Romulan and Chekhov.

However, if they planned to cancel the Red Shirt and Cheron figures at this stage, they would likely have sent out notifications about that as well...and I didn't get one regarding my pre-order. So there's still hope for those yet.

--SKot
          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I think its just a reflection on the lack of demand. There might be enough interest to drive up prices for existing figures in auctions, but in terms of making another factory run, I'm sure they needed better pre-sales. Diamond looks like another company moving away from the Mego format, save for the occasional retro set.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Hmm, discontinued? so does that mean employees scooped up the ones remaining at the warehouse and then will turn around and sell on eBay at 3 times the price? it's just a thought.

Comment

• Majere
                Banned
                • Apr 17, 2016

I'm so glad I bought that near complete lot of EMCE Star Trek figures off ebay. I figured this was gonna happen.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Majere
                  I'm so glad I bought that near complete lot of EMCE Star Trek figures off ebay. I figured this was gonna happen.
                  The funny thing is I was just buying these as they came out new with the expectation they would always be around and become something of a common retro. It just goes to show you a good idea remains a good idea no matter which generation it gets made in. Paul and company really excelled with this line. My biggest disappointment was that he couldn't get deeper with the Apes line up. That was perfect and I was floored when it didn't sell. I believe that was my first indication that just because my generation loves something doesn't mean it endures with future generations. It's been especially disheartening to see companies like NECA go the extra mile and make new versions of them and see those fall flat as well.
                  Last edited by MIB41; Aug 8, '16, 6:23 AM.

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Sadly, I'm not surprised other figures have been cancelled. I'm not optimistic about any of the figures being released.

Comment

• SKotK
                      Career Member
                      • Mar 11, 2014

You gotta ask yourself, "who is going to buy these things?"

It's generally not gonna be millennials, or people who were born in the 80s or 90s. It's pretty much gonna be mostly guys who were kids in the early 70s and had this stuff, or wanted to have it.

Once you've exhausted that market and sold them all the character figures they want to buy, there's not going to be much left unless you make some other new characters they'd really like to have. They've already got Kirk. They've already got Spock. They've probably got Sulu, Chekhov, and the Gorn as well since those were high on their personal wish lists and they probably grabbed them right when they came out.

No, what they're really want are new faces, which so far have only included the Security Guard (definitely) and reverse Cheron (kind of).

Well, I hope this two items finally ship, and I hope sales wind up high enough to make Diamond Select happy...and possibly make them consider further expansion to this line (though it seems unlikely at this point).

Buy them up, folks (should they come out, of course). It could be the last chance to fuel further offerings!

--SKot
                      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• phil
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 11, 2007

Is there any news on these? Good or bad? I'm getting a bit annoyed at having money tied up in preorders I could use for other things. The delays are tempting me to cancel my preorders and just forget about these figures.

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
                          Museum Patron
                          • Apr 3, 2015

From the August 17th Ask DST:

DSTChuck: I am sorry, Rob, but there was very little interest from retailers in a re-issue of the TOS retro cloth releases. We would like to find a way to release some of the new TOS figures we showed, but we have no plans for any more TNG or other TOS retro cloth figures at this point.

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

I just need to blow off steam from the frustration I'm feeling over this line and it's not directed at anyone or anything in particular. Its the situation in general that is frustrating me.

That said why can't we get a definite answer on what is happening with this line? That statement makes it seem like the proposed line is dead but it doesn't exactly say it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

^ I feel your pain, it's an annoying situation and I feel similarly about Presidential Monsters, too.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

I think they're basically saying if there was a way to do it and be profitable, they would make them. But right now there is no demand and thus no means to make them without losing their shirts. The retro market is very niche right now. Maybe more than ever before. And perhaps some of that has to do with the fact that so much product has been put out in the last five years, it's drying up general interest leaving only the extremely dedicated to invest in new product. Smaller consumer volume translates into a smaller pool to share with other vendors. I'm not sure if allot of folks have noticed, but the vast majority of companies that were making retro product just a few scant years ago are virtually gone or vastly scaled back from the retro scene today, leaving FTC to pretty much run the table.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎