Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, I am a Mego Marvel Maniac & tired of it not getting attention it deserves!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

Yes, I am a Mego Marvel Maniac & tired of it not getting attention it deserves!

I looked back on Mego Buzz and it was April 21, 2014 "Diamond announces 8" Marvel figures!" I was so excited I imagined a Spider-Man 8" wave starting things off with original Mego 8" Spider-Man, Peter Parker, Green Goblin, and Lizard! $25 each like FTC! Imagine the letdown when I saw the $80 Mego 8" Spidey w/ 2 more costumes/heads a Captain Action like SET! There were QC issues even on Captain America set which looked better. I passed on Wolverine. Now the next set Thor is not due until Nov/Dec 2015 and only 1 new set is to be shown at SDCC for 2016 obviously! Not frequent enough to compete with FLOOD of FTC Mego DC in 2015!

I was even thrilled with SDCC 2014 Sideshow announcement of its 1/6 Marvel figures but only Deadpool has been solicited since then for $230! OUCH! I heard on sideshowcollectors.com today that the line is going nowhere and Sideshow will forget it after SDCC 2015! At $200+ each I can see why!

I even supported Round 2 Captain Action Marvel costume sets and those are dead!

I hope DST EMCE Marvel sets are cancelled and Disney will re-evaluate license with FTC and even 1/6 scale since Sideshow did nothing with it. Even 1/4 Marvel scale like FTC 1/4 DC!

I just hate to see the Mego Marvel Universe going to waste. Now that Marvel has Secret Wars going and an All-New All Different Marvel Universe coming this Fall now is the time to strike!
  • Boy_Wonder_1978
    Career Member
    • Apr 30, 2015

Price aside, the feel and look of the FTC stuff is a complete winner for me. I've not been collecting this stuff for long, but what I've seen so far I've really, really liked. Shaking hands with Marvel and producing the goods is a 'no brainer'. I know it may be easier said than done, but someone has to do it. Never really liked those sets that Diamond came out with and there's nothing 'Mego' at all about Sideshow.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Preach on brothas! I feel the same way. It seems like DC has always kicked Marvel's behind in the toy dept.

I would pay anything for a John Romita Spider-Man FTC line complete with all the villains.

Comment

• ovenmitt
        Persistent Member
        • May 26, 2009

In 70s DC beat Marvel in Mego

In 80s Super Powers beat Secret Wars

But in 90s Toy Biz had ALL Marvel and the cartoons and Kenner just had BATMAN a few Superman and Total Garbage I mean Justice

In 2000s DC Direct and Mattel DCSH/DCUC, JLU, etc gave Marvel Legends and companion lines a run for their money!

Now Hasbro Marvel is dominating toy aisles with Mattel DC fading away but still DC Collectible (DC 6" Icons) and FTC WORLD od DC Mego of course!

I just want ANYONE to get Mego Marvel Master license so we can have

Romita Sr Spidey waves!

1974 All-New X-Men wave- Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler!

Sal Buscema Incredible Hulk wave- Hulk, Bruce Banner, Leader, Doc Samson

Kirby Fantastic 4 and 80s Byrne Fantastic 4 in BLACK and white costumes, She-Hulk instead of Thing

Original Avengers- Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and Wasp

90s Jim Lee X-Men- Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Gambit, Rogue, Psylocke, Beast, Jubilee

'nuff said

Comment

• wise guy
          Career Member
          • Dec 29, 2014

We all wan't Marvel remegos to go with FTC DC figures, but the current restriction placed on Diamond/Emce limits them to these sets.
          Marvel is pefect for sets of 4 Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Vision, Black Panther
          Wolverine(painted head) Cyclops, F.A. Storm, Colossus
          Spiderman, Lizard,Green Goblin . Electro
          Daredevil, Black Widow,Bullseye, Kingpin
          Hulk 2.0 8", Dr. Strange, Valkarae, Nighthawk

Comment

• Bronxboykev
            Permanent Member
            • Mar 7, 2011

Definitely not looking to start an argument... Because on Facebook I've been pretty much called a DST Schill and A Doc Mego Butt boy... Funny when I've spent almost $4000 on FTC product and only $400 on DST Marvel stuff... With that being said...

I don't get it... Yes FTC has given more regularity but they have also shoved tons of retreads and useless Exclusives on us during that time... The Batman 66 line was and still is a great thrill for me but Batman and Robin still prove to be one of their biggest Blunders With their pop on and off hands and boots... They also admittedly have flaws that they absolutely refuse to address... The large head sizes and bodies that are barely good enough for landfill... I understand price point is an issue for most but I have not seen any of these sets listed for $80 yet... They have been released at $69.99 and if you find the right site with free shipping... In cases where your paying $80 shipping is included... I have broken this down Ad nausium with price point and surprise guys the Marvel figures are cheaper... Ignore it all you want but they are, and each set has gotten progressively better; with the Wolverine set probably the best set produced by both companies to date... Once again a breakdown for those of you wishing to read through to the end...

I have broken this down ad nausium, people just refuse to acknowledge the the comparable price point... Yes I know people don't and might not want to buy 3 figures at a time but that was the deal...
            4 FTC figures @ $24.99 is $99.98 add your 8.75% tax and $17 shipping and your a little over $125 for a set of 4 add $20 to $28 depending on where you get your replacement bodies ( and yes a lot of people are swapping out the bodies believe what you want but they are crap) and your talking $150 for a set of 4 FTC Figures
            So $125 without bodies $150 with bodies... comes to $31.25 a figure $37.50 a figure if your replacing bodies.

3 DST Marvel figures $69.99 ( I have not seen a set listed for $80 yet)... And if you have been lucky you have been getting free shipping if not then the $12 shipping brings you to $80 add your 8.75% tax and your at $87... add $10 for 2 Doc bodies of $14 for 2 type s bodies and your at $97 to $101 a set so $32 for a set of 3 with doc bodies $33 for a set with Type s bodies if you get free shipping take $4 off a figure so your at $28 and $29 a figure...

I hope DST keeps Marvel and can get us more figures more frequently...

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

You nailed it, ovenmitt. Until Mattel's 6" DC Superheroes line, Marvel has been killing DC in the toys and merchandising market for some time now. And with DCUC gone, DC's action figure aisle presence is a joke again.

I would like a better representation of Marvel Mego type figures too, but it is mildly entertaining to see DC putting a beating on Marvel in this genre, which actually seems to be succeeding.

Even with the 9" attempt, the, IMO, superior Hasbro DC line was a blip against Famous Cover (it did give us a great base for the Hasbro 9" Marvel line though, which I was grateful).

So, while wanting a better model for Marvel Mego, it is amusing for me to see DC winning in this genre.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                Persistent Member
                • May 26, 2009

TRDouble,

When Toy Biz Marvel Famous Covers 9" figures came out in 1997 ($15 each!) who would guess the tide would turn 16 years later (2013 FTC Mego DC, Batman 66 announcement)?

Yes, I remember the 1999 HASBRO DC Super Heroes (and JLA!) "Mego" figures which were superior to Famous Covers and in 2006 Hasbro used the 9" DCSH bodies for 9" Spider-Man Origins "Mego" figures" These were all $15 each a BARGAIN today but there has been no mass-market appeal for Megos! Of course 2009 Mattel 8" DC Retro Action $20 each which could have worked like Doc said ONLINE ONLY mattycollector.com

I still say Make Mine Mego Marvel, too!

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                  With that being said...

I have broken this down Ad nausium with price point and surprise guys the Marvel figures are cheaper... Ignore it all you want but they are, and each set has gotten progressively better; with the Wolverine set probably the best set produced by both companies to date...

I hope DST keeps Marvel and can get us more figures more frequently...
                  I'm with you on all of that but what I don't get is if this is such a dire need. how are customs not an option?

Look at CosmicKenny's Inhumans; a Mego dead-accurate interpretation. In what way could FTC improve on that?

Comment

• ovenmitt
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 26, 2009

BTW I still prefer DC to Marvel. In 1973 when I was 3 Super Friends cartoon introduced me to DC along with Adam West, George Reeves, Shazam, Lynda Carter, and Christopher Reeve!

Marvel had NO TV presence when Mego WGSH were out at first 1972-1976! Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man TV ignored all important Uncle Ben part of origin. I loved "The Incredible Hulk" TV movie it included basic elements and reworked it for TV and adults! Captain America TV movie turned Steve Rogers into Evel Knievel!

So, I am glad FTC got DC and Batman 66 and are expanding license- Superman, Teen Titans, JLA, 18", Super Friends...

I would be mad too if it was just all Marvel a few DC!

Comment

• Toycade
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jul 8, 2014

It was a sad day when Steve from FTC called to let me know Marvel fell through. I don't have the details, but they were close. However, regardless of where you stand, FTC's figures have sold FAR better than their Diamond counterparts. I can't move the Wolverine set for $64.95. I ordered a scant 36 and have sold about 8. FTC's product on the other hand, flies off the shelf. With us, you usually can pick up a single FTC figure for under $30 including shipping. Not terribly difficult to justify a monthly purchase of $30. A blip on most people's financial radar screen. Even with our low prices and reasonable shipping, you aren't going to be able to pick up any EMCE set without plunking down $70-$80. That's a bill. The consumer thinks "Do I want this figure or gas for a month?" And it is that reason alone that will prevent the EMCE figures from really taking off. Now, 2 years later, we have a ton of momentum behind FTC and Diamond has barely made a blip on the radar screen. Here's hoping FTC is even more emboldened the next time the opportunity comes up to bid on Marvel and can walk in with a bit more swagger. I'm little bitty and I would easily plunk down money for 75 cases of FTC Marvel. Hoping that happens someday.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 26, 2009

Thanks, Toycade. I have ordered several FTC DC Mego sets from you off ebay! Super prices! And yes DST Marvel sets are pricey! I would like to know exactly what went down between FTC and Marvel. If not 8" I still don't know why FTC cannot do 1/4 18" Marvel?

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

It is easier for me to put out 25.00 on a figure,than 80.00 for a figure, plus heads, and costumes. I also find it more fun to get Spiderman , Lizard, and Green Goblin for 80.00,
                          than getting Spiderman and extra heads & clothes, but that's just me .

Comment

• jacoblb
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 7, 2009

I've bought the majority of my FTC re Megos from Toycade on eBay. In fact, one of my purchases was nearly or over $400. Great shopping prices and that order hooked me up with the Batgirl figure (from a 2 pack) as she was hard to find at the time of my purchase.

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Toycade
                              However, regardless of where you stand, FTC's figures have sold FAR better than their Diamond counterparts. I can't move the Wolverine set for $64.95. I ordered a scant 36 and have sold about 8. FTC's product on the other hand, flies off the shelf.
                              And there you go...is everybody paying attention?
                              My LCS can't keep FTC figures in stock either, but they can't GIVE those Captain America and Wolverine sets away.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎