• Show
Clear All
  • kresge1
    Museum_Bozo
    • Jun 20, 2001

Originally posted by dumbldor
    This is absolutely amazing
    Dan , totally agree
    This line just got that much more exciting for me . The mysteries of the Mego company still come to surface 40 plus years later
    Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by kresge1
      The mysteries of the Mego company still come to surface 40 plus years later
      That is part of the fun of collecting. Stuff like this reinvigorates Mego collecting as a whole. Thanks for helping to keep it fun.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• kresge1
        Museum_Bozo
        • Jun 20, 2001

Bill
        Thanks , but big thanks to Jens and his eagle eyes and investigative skills
        I am just running with it

Comment

• Agent4125
          Museum Super Collector
          • Aug 23, 2007

Thanks everybody for the compliments. It's really a lot of fun doing this

I think I should post pictures of the three other comic books that I have gotten so far.
          Here they are, next to the Lion Rock boxes:

The artworks are essentially the same, but the colors are slightly different.

The "Sword of Freedom" book is a different edition than the one Vinny posted.
          This one has the decimal pricing (10p) while the other edition has "pre-decimal" pricing (1'3).
          Is anyone familiar with the pre-decimal pricing in Great Britain? What does 1'3 mean?

I ordered a few more comic books from eBay, but haven't gotten them.
          Unfortunately shipping times are currently affected by a strike of the German post office... Aarrgghh!!
          Last edited by Agent4125; Jul 14, '17, 9:46 AM.

Comment

• Carmelkettle
            Museum Patron
            • May 26, 2015

Success! Finally found how to post photos.

This was never a Lion Rock set, but with those colors it would have jumped off the shelf:
            Last edited by Carmelkettle; Jun 28, '15, 11:40 PM. Reason: add photo

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

These comic books are really small in scale? They seem like mini-sized...
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Agent4125
                Museum Super Collector
                • Aug 23, 2007

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                These comic books are really small in scale? They seem like mini-sized...
                Yes, they are rather small. They are 17 x 13.5 cm (6.8 x 5.4 inches).
                I think they were called "pocket library", because you could easily put them in the pocket of your jacket

It seems that at the time when the company started to print them, the only printing press with free capacity
                that they had could only print that small format. The press had previously been used to print small novels.
                (At least, that's the explanation that was given in the book "Aarrgghh!! It's War"...)

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

As a kid, these adventure/war stories (in a handy almost kid-sized edition) would have been perfect for me.
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• kresge1
                    Museum_Bozo
                    • Jun 20, 2001

Those are very similar in size to the dc digest and the Archie's pocket books. Didn't realize they were that size. I have not received any of the ones that I won from eBay yet

Comment

• Agent4125
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Aug 23, 2007

Today I got three more comic books (despite the post office strike ). Two of them haven't been mentioned yet:

German U-Boot Commander (Italian Box artwork / comic book):

The book "The Art of War" presents a beautiful full page reproduction of the original artwork:

The artist was Giorgio deGaspari and the artwork was created for War Picture Library #475 in 1968.

Japanese Pilot (Italian Box artwork / comic book):

And again, the reproduction of the original artwork from the book
                      (Unfortunately, the artbooks present only a handful of the "Lion Rock artworks" in full page size):

The artwork was created by Pino Dell'Orco for Battle Picture Library #75 in 1962.
                      Please note that I have a later edition were they re-used that cover artwork.
                      I think there were several artworks that they used more than once over the years.

The 3rd one I got in the mail is the one with the British Tank Commander artwork.
                      We've already seen that one. It's Battle Picture Library #770 - "The Price of Glory". And it looks awesome!
                      Last edited by Agent4125; Jul 14, '17, 9:48 AM.

Comment

• kresge1
                        Museum_Bozo
                        • Jun 20, 2001

Sweet
                        I think the German u boat commander art work is amazing as are most of these
                        Last edited by kresge1; Jun 27, '15, 6:53 AM.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 28, 2006

Man what a fun ride,thanks to everybody that has posted pictures in this thread!
                          This a pure home run the ball has been knocked clear out of the park.
                          Thanks again I keep going over these....lol
                          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• kresge1
                            Museum_Bozo
                            • Jun 20, 2001

Jens
                            What are your thoughts on the battle brigade art?
                            Do you think it's original for that box or do you believe there is s comic book cover out there ?

Comment

• kresge1
                              Museum_Bozo
                              • Jun 20, 2001

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                              Man what a fun ride,thanks to everybody that has posted pictures in this thread!
                              This a pure home run the ball has been knocked clear out of the park.
                              Thanks again I keep going over these....lol
                              I feel the same way . My OCD. Has kicked into high gear and I wanted them all now !!

Comment

• Agent4125
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Aug 23, 2007

Originally posted by kresge1
                                Jens
                                What are your thoughts on the battle brigade art?
                                Do you think it's original for that box or do you believe there is s comic book cover out there ?
                                I don't know. So far I haven't seen that Battle Brigade artwork anywhere else.
                                But there are other artworks that I haven't seen either, e.g. those for the US Tail Gunner or the Frogman.

The artbooks don't present all covers. I found 19 of the Lion Rock artworks in those books.
                                I don't think the Battle Brigade art is in there, but I could check again. I might have overlooked it
                                (Those books are 400 pages each).

It would be nice to have a complete gallery of all the covers.
                                I thought I found one on comigs.org, but it doesn't show all the titles.
                                Still, there's a lot there. Here is a link: War Picture Library, Cover Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎