Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Great thread! I agree with what most are saying. Speilberg's quest to conquer JAWS' many production obstacles resulted in a wonderfully structured film---and, just a dang good time!

JAWS could have been the greatest "grower movie" for me, probably because as a kid I didn't enjoy anything remotely horrifying

IMHO, Jaws is a movie that's worth a few "forced" watches before giving up on it.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Jaws is just about a perfect movie.
      The suspense, the characters, it's Spielberg at his peak, and I wish he'd look back and take a few lessons from his younger self.
      I think the stress behind the camera really helped to make it a better movie. Not having all the means at your disposal makes you have to work that much harder, resulting into something special. I'm glad the shark "was not working" most of the time. These day, you'd get a fake CG shark and none of the tangible suspense.
      I feel that the actors also kind of played what they were in real life, that is why Shaw and Dreyfuss locked horns both on and off screen. And it worked perfectly. Shaw was a difficult man, and so was Quint. Perfect casting.
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Lonnie, I have to say, you're the first person I've encountered who didn't like it.

Comment

• daz71
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2014

my favourite film.saw it at the cinema with my dad when i was 4 then went back the week after and saw it with my mum.love the story the acting the characters the music and can watch it over and over and never get bored of it.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I have another question.

Name your favorite Jaws sequels in order.

Mine would be ...

Jaws-4
            Jaws-3
            Jaws-2

Call me crazy but Jaws 2 never blew my skirt up

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
              Time to feed the cat
              • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by HardyGirl
              It's got everything, humor, suspense, horror, drama, goofy singing, ( ) And even though it has nothing to do w/ the shark, I love the scene where Brody's little son is copying his every move. It's touching.
              YEP ! what she said

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Certainly one of my all time favourite movies. Absolutely love it.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

Jaws is one of my favorites, it just has always hit a home run with me. It's just so well put together, shot well, dialogue is spot on. I love all of the characters and their interactions in the town.

I wonder how much we would have liked the movie had the shark worked better for them? I love suspense, and this movie delivers, but they had to create the suspense and be elusive because the main star wouldn't cooperate. I wonder if it would have been as much of a classic?
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 30, 2015

The tension that Spielberg as a director at the age of 26 created with no prop (shark) was phenomenal. Add to that John Williams' simple, but VERY effective score and it's a winner.

It's a simple straight forward story with great characters that was beautifully executed and has stood the test of time.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                      Jaws is just about a perfect movie.
                      The suspense, the characters, it's Spielberg at his peak, and I wish he'd look back and take a few lessons from his younger self.
                      I think the stress behind the camera really helped to make it a better movie. Not having all the means at your disposal makes you have to work that much harder, resulting into something special. I'm glad the shark "was not working" most of the time. These day, you'd get a fake CG shark and none of the tangible suspense.
                      I feel that the actors also kind of played what they were in real life, that is why Shaw and Dreyfuss locked horns both on and off screen. And it worked perfectly. Shaw was a difficult man, and so was Quint. Perfect casting.
                      I agree with every bit of this.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

This thread is like asking "why does everyone like Pizza?" knowing full well you hate meat, tomato sauce and are lactose intolerant.

If you don't like Mafia movies, the Godfather would suck too.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

PS i think Jaws is a good example of something that rose above it's subject matter. On paper, it's kind of a standard pot boiler but thanks to the director, actors and the problems they faced they created a perfect storm of a movie.

Every sequel shows that it's almost impossible to replicate.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by drquest
                            I wonder how much we would have liked the movie had the shark worked better for them? I love suspense, and this movie delivers, but they had to create the suspense and be elusive because the main star wouldn't cooperate. I wonder if it would have been as much of a classic?
                            That is a good question.
                            What if the shark had worked perfectly? Would they have used it more? Probably.
                            Would that have hurt the impact of seeing the beast, diminish it? Probably.
                            These days, with CG, that shark would be tapdancing and smoking a pipe at the same time...
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• mego
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 16, 2012

Great tension, excellent storytelling, Robert Shaw... what's not to like?!?

Comment

• madmarva
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jul 7, 2007

Really can't say anything more than what's been said, but Jaws is a great film. I looking forward to seeing it again on the big screen this Sunday with the limited re-release.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎