Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The all-time defining MegoMeet moment(for me)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by noelani72
    I started adding things to my Home from creative folks here because there is this unseen connection since we are separated by computer screens.
    Then, I began creating - and bask in the heartfelt joy of people truly wanting something that my two hands created. That made me feel special - made me feel as if in some weird way I have given back to the community...I get the full circle happiness of seeing how I felt, but in the eyes of someone else.
    I think you've expressed this beautifully Chad. I totally get that feeling as well. Can't believe it's been now over a half decade since my first Meet.

It echoes my own journey of discovering customs... and then sitting around the customs table at my first Meet, taking all those parts from Brian Leitner, Doc Mego, Cast-a-Way etc, and putting something together myself, with the advice and encouragement of so many people.

The best defining moment this weekend for me, was an echo of my first Meet... finding the 12" Thing kit in Austin's pile of heads. Then getting the 12" Hulk from Roberto. In the suite, Art was kind enough to lend me a dremel. Then I got some solid advice from a bunch of people who were sitting around watching me struggle through it (Derek showing me how to "pinch and twist" with the pliers comes to mind). It became very easy thanks to everyone's help... I would have struggled for hours and hours if left to my own devices at home. That to me is Mego Meet. The creative energy and passion. (and the contact high of burning plastic)

Since I've been at my first Meet, I've been taken on an incredible journey. What is the best thing for me about our Mego Museum community is how "Open Source" everything is... how we're so willing to share our knowledge and abilities with each other because at the end of the day, this really is such a huge passion for us all.

So that I could put together the Captain Canuck action figure I always wanted as a kid, using off the shelf parts, with the help of my friends Paul Wasson and Brian Leitner. The one that I showed Richard Comely, and led to my fateful meeting with the folks at Captain Canuck inc.

My first Mego Meet also brought me face to face with Brian, who not only lived in driving distance of me, but was just getting Odeon Toys off the ground. Who would have expected my friend (a much better friend than the likes of me deserves BTW) would believe in this project enough to be a full partner on it, and it's to his credit that we went to the legendary Paul Clarke/Doc Mego and Made-It-Happen.

and this year, Brian and I got to bring my journey full circle by bringing along some China manufactured Captain Canuck figures, and the response was AMAZING. I never expected you guys to embrace it... I thought we were just a "Canadian thing" that we sold as a novelty for folks above the 49th parallel. We hugely underestimated demand at this year's Meet. We won't make that mistake again, we promise.

and now more of you are helping me out on the next leg of the journey, and it's nothing I can talk about yet, but I'm super super excited and energized and ready for more.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 10, '15, 11:48 AM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎