Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The all-time defining MegoMeet moment(for me)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

The all-time defining MegoMeet moment(for me)

I'll write about Aw Yeah MM later in the week once I've fully decompressed and had some sleep, but I wanted to share an observation that completely and truly defines what the MegoMeet represents and should always stand for.

We all got to meet Ariel, known here as Boywonder0. This gentleman flew in from Puerto Rico with his family to his first Meet. It doesn't matter what kind of bad day you might have had or how tired you may have been from a long drive, his genuine enthusiasm and absolute joy from being there with all these toys and all of his online friends was completely infectious. To see someone this excited and jubilant really lifted me up for the entire weekend. He had an autograph book we signed and took pictures for like we were celebrities. That was just an awesome idea!

See, we too often forget the common denominator of our passions for this hobby. While most of us outgrew that giddiness of Christmas morning opening up a couple of Mego figs and a Batlab, Ariel carries that exuberance in to his every day life. I wish I had half of the joy and half the energy he possesses. Meeting him was a highlight of my weekend and was just inspiring. I sincerely thank him for the emotional and spiritual boost he gave me, even into this morning when I was leaving. He singlehandedly provided me with a new perspective and a fresh outlook. This was his first MegoMeet, but it personifies what the experience should always be and what I will always strive to make it in the future.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.
  • Boywonder0
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

Thanks for the kind words Scott! To me the Mego Talk forum is like family... I visit the forum on a daily basis (for many years now) and have come to love the people herein. Only God knows how much I wanted to assist to a Mego Meet before but the flying logistics was always very complex. This year Chicago O'Hare made the difference.

So yes I was very excited and thrilled to finally meet my cyber brothers: a)the forum administrators Scott, Steve and Brian; b) talented customizers like you, Austin, Noelani, Sean, Art, Paul Wasson (& LaserKid), Almitysufx, and Lee Taylor; c)cool dudes like Samurainoir, RobTMego, Dan, CJefferys, Toyman Chris, Derek, Roberto & Tomasso Lugotti, VintageMike, Flynne, Megogeek and guys I consider icons like Dr. Mego and David Lee. Also artists like Andrew Coval & Kurt Wood.

I wouldn't have traded my visit to Mego Meet 2015 for a visit to Hollywood Red Carpet... You guys are my stars!

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

It was an honor and privilege to meet you. I had never had anyone want my autograph before and I was a bit taken aback, but it was really fun. Thanks for stopping by my table.
      Last edited by pmwasson; Jun 7, '15, 10:26 PM.
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

wonderfully stated Scott! Ariel's enthusiasm was fantastic.

Absolutely delighted you travelled all that distance with your family to hang out with all of us. If ever there was an indicator of the success of MM 2015 and the move to Skokie, THIS is it.

I think consensus was that we are all hoping you return in 2016.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

It was an absolute pleasure to meet you and your family, Ariel. I thought it was awesome that you brought a notebook for everyone to sign, I was very happy to do so, what a great memento! And also, it was great to meet you, Scott! Paul, I'm sorry, I didn't get a chance, hopefully next time. And Ed, a huge thanks for helping look out for me during my first Meet (Brian too!)

Comment

• Random Axe
            The Voice of Reason
            • Apr 16, 2008

Right back atcha Chris. Those first Meets can be brutal, especially the ones from Wheeling. We're still trying to find three first timers who disappeared there in 2009...

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

The 'Axe deserves some big praise and props as one of the helpful elves behind the scenes at Mego Meet!

Comment

• Random Axe
                The Voice of Reason
                • Apr 16, 2008

I'm nothing more than caulk, just there to fill in some gaps. Every bit of praise, kudos and purple heart medals belong to Steve, Brian and Art.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                  Permanent Member
                  • Mar 7, 2011

Ariel it was a pleasure!!! So glad to meet feces behind the ID's... I was walking thru the hallway and someone passed me (sorry the weekend is a blur) and said Kev Ariel is looking for you... I was blow away... There is so little time at these things and for someone to take the time to scope people out its just beyond words!!! Post those Pics Ariel!!! And Scott you are more than caulk my friend, you were My and My Families first extended family from this event 5 years back... Aces my Mego Brother!!!

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
                    And Ed, a huge thanks for helping look out for me during my first Meet (Brian too!)
                    I'm just happy that you finally were able to join us this time! Glad it was such an enjoyable experience and hope you can make it again next year.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 29, 2007

Hey brothas! Just to let you know that we (the wife, the kiddo & myself) arrived safely today! Non-Stop flight from Chicago O'Hare to San Juan International Airport is five hours. Not to mention the couple of hours they ask you to be at the airport prior to flight and the couple of hours afterwards for Baggage Claim and Car Rental Pick Up. Then another two hours for driving home from San Juan to Isabela.

So tired that I'll just take a bath and go to bed. Not to mention that I have to work tomorrow. But you know what? I'll do it again!

Thank you guys for being part of this dream! Pictures to come probably over the weekend! Have a good night!

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Glad you and your family made it home safe Ariel. Looking forward to your photos!

Comment

• David Lee
                          The Fix-it-up Chappie
                          • Jun 10, 2002

Ariel. It was so great to finally meet you...You are probably one of my oldest and most coveted customers...thanks for making it to the Meet. It was a real honour to meet you in person.

Dave

Comment

• noelani72
                            27inaleon
                            • Jun 25, 2002

this is an interesting thing going on...
                            I don’t really have the words to convey what is going through my mind - but it’s like this...
                            I came here well over a decade ago.
                            I’ve had the pleasure to deal with many people both personally and professionally.
                            I started adding things to my Home from creative folks here because there is this unseen connection since we are separated by computer screens.
                            Then, I began creating - and bask in the heartfelt joy of people truly wanting something that my two hands created. That made me feel special - made me feel as if in some weird way I have given back to the community...I get the full circle happiness of seeing how I felt, but in the eyes of someone else.
                            We’ve had fellow brothers and sisters fall on tough times - and we’ve worked through those times with them.
                            But to meet Ariel for the first time, seeing his enthusiasm - it simply defined what MM is all about.

Comment

• VintageMike
                              Permanent Member
                              • Dec 16, 2004

Can't say much else other than I echo everything said. The Meet is always special but in way we taken it for granted. Seeing excitement like this was fantastic and a reminder of how special this event truly is.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎