Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hexigore
    • Jun 2, 2015

Cleaning clothes. . .

Hi all! I just received a Star Trek Cheron and would like to try and get his white side a little whiter. It is okay as it is, but it could use a tad bit of cleaning. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • josephcardone
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 10, 2010

Oxy Clean spray works well Post a picture because sometimes the black plastic leaks through to the outfit and it will not come out.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, if you have brown/orange stains from the body underneath, you're out of luck.

But regarding clothing, I've had great success with the following hand-washing method:

Step 1.: Fill a large bowl with tepid water. Add about 1/4 cup white vinegar and some Woolite or degreasing dish-soap. (The dish-soap works very well.) Soak for a few minutes and then suds up the clothes by hand. Then, rinse very thoroughly in plain tepid water.

Step 2.: (For stubborn stains/brightening) I use Oxy Clean spray , spraying and then letting it sit for 3-5 minutes. Then, rinse as above in plain tepid water.

I never use bleach on synthetic knits, and I always hand-wash toy clothing. For drying, I block or blot it dry between two kitchen towels, and then let air-dry overnight.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 12, 2014

Great tips!!

Comment

• dr_cyclops
          One eyed, wonder
          • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by ZombieJimC
          Great tips!!
          Yes they are. Thanks for the white vinegar tip, PNGwynne!

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Yw--white vinegar is a cheap and very versatile household cleanser.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hexigore
              • Jun 2, 2015

This is fantastic!! Thank you so much for your time in answering my question. I will try to post a pick prior to attempting anything. And I will examine the discoloration closer as well. Thanks again!

Comment

• mickeymoosemego
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 11, 2014

Nothing has ever worked better than Woolite for me.

Comment

• WAV
                  • Jul 31, 2009

Thanks for posting these tips!

I have Lizard whose lab coat has a couple of brown spots I'd like to clean. Would any of these methods be suitable for the coat, as it's different material than the usual WGSH suit?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

The labcoat is cotton and a bleach solution will work well. Block and air-dry it, it will shrink.

Comment

• WAV
                      • Jul 31, 2009

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
                      When you say to 'block it' do you mean to only clean the stained area and not the whole coat because it will shrink?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

No, blocking is when you blot or roll up (like a jellyroll) the clothing between two towels to absorb the excess moisture--after cleaning and rinsing. Then you let it air-dry. This discourages the shrinking that machine-drying will cause.

I usually blot Mego clothes and then let them air-dry over a cup or mug. If you decide to iron the coat, use a pressing cloth or hanky over it and medium heat; be careful not to iron over the vinyl pocket-flaps.

Comment

• WAV
                          • Jul 31, 2009

Thank you so much!

I've had this Lizard for a while now, and other than the coat being a little dirty, it's mint.

It may sound silly, but because of my inexperience with collecting Mego, I just assumed washing the coat would damage it in some way... then I found this thread.

My Lizard now has a beautiful WHITE coat and looks like he must've when he arrived at the toy shop over 40 years ago!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

I've washed all my Mego clothes with just lukewarm soapy water.
                            Then pressed between two towels. Then air dry. Not the POTA Apes, of course, with the fake leather.

Some of those brown stains (like the ones on 12" Mego Buck Rogers) are tough.
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎