Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Craig you have a lot to be proud of with your $6MDM figures. Tell you what. Steal the Creepshow license out from under Funko, and you'll get ALL my money.

Comment

• Boris71
      GeekBot' For Life
      • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by ZICA
      That's all well and good but the fact remains that Super7/Funko were initially trying to replicate the vintage Kenner aesthetic, which is blatantly obvious from the first round of figures they chose to do and the way they promoted the line. The fact that they had actual prototypes (or at least images) to work from made getting the Alien figures right fairly easy. When they don't have good reference material it makes things much more difficult for them, and it shows in the finished product.

Obviously the line is doing well because they keep cranking out more and more, but they haven't been able to maintain what was suppose to be a significant feature of the line, which is the vintage Kenner aesthetics.
      I'm a huge fan of the Funko figures my only issue is that some of the lines thy have are missing figures to complete the set. I have to say that IMHO they have kept the line cost to a reasonable level and have captured the feel of the 4 inch stuff from the seventies and eighties I mean some of the first assortment from star wars were no worse that these are and certainly no worse than some of the 4 inch Mego stuff I mean the pocket super heroes were really bad but I still bought them cause of who they were.

I do have to say I feel that your criticism to my mind does seem to come off as bit of "sour grapes" to me as they seem to generate more hype and chat that your SMDM figures, which I loved but were a bit to pricey for my taste. I'm not saying that's what your aim is at all but it did give a bit of that vibe to my mind.
      Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• ZICA
        Persistent Member
        • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Boris71
        I'm a huge fan of the Funko figures my only issue is that some of the lines thy have are missing figures to complete the set. I have to say that IMHO they have kept the line cost to a reasonable level and have captured the feel of the 4 inch stuff from the seventies and eighties I mean some of the first assortment from star wars were no worse that these are and certainly no worse than some of the 4 inch Mego stuff I mean the pocket super heroes were really bad but I still bought them cause of who they were.

I do have to say I feel that your criticism to my mind does seem to come off as bit of "sour grapes" to me as they seem to generate more hype and chat that your SMDM figures, which I loved but were a bit to pricey for my taste. I'm not saying that's what your aim is at all but it did give a bit of that vibe to my mind.
        Under the circumstances it's impossible for my criticism not to come off as sounding like "sour grapes", and to a degree it is. However, that doesn't change the fact that Super7/Funko are not accomplishing what they set out to do from a design standpoint with the ReAction line. When it was just Super7 putting out the Alien figures I was actually pretty excited about the line, and was very impressed with how they were handling it with all of the Kenner style promotional materials. I bought both the black and blue carded series, and paid an insane ebay price for the cancelled promo sample figures boxed set.

When Funko got involved and announced they would be bringing several of their licenses to the line I thought it would a huge plus. Then I saw their first wave of prototypes and my opinion quickly changed. It's already been pointed out by Brian that the person from Super7 who was in charge of the original Aliens ReAction line isn't thrilled with how Funko is handling things. Sure Funko is bringing a lot of licenses to the table and keeping the costs down, but maintaining the vintage Kenner aesthetic has been tossed out the window.

As far as the retail price goes when comparing my SMDM figures, the original SRP on the Alien ReAction line was $19.99 before Funko got involved.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Now you can have Quint and Walrus Man comparing their scars at the table in the Cantina, while Hammerhead and Snaggletooth join in on "Show Me the Way to Go Home".

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by ZICA
            When Funko got involved and announced they would be bringing several of their licenses to the line I thought it would a huge plus. Then I saw their first wave of prototypes and my opinion quickly changed. It's already been pointed out by Brian that the person from Super7 who was in charge of the original Aliens ReAction line isn't thrilled with how Funko is handling things. Sure Funko is bringing a lot of licenses to the table and keeping the costs down, but maintaining the vintage Kenner aesthetic has been tossed out the window.

As far as the retail price goes when comparing my SMDM figures, the original SRP on the Alien ReAction line was $19.99 before Funko got involved.
            The first Alien figures were indeed great, but I said no the the second set, and most of the rest of what Funko is offering these days. They're just not good enough.
            I liked the Universals and now Jaws will be the first thing I'd like to pick up from Funko.
            And as said, when the first Alien figures came out, they weren't cheap.
            I can't even afford the Egg Chamber.
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

The Egg Chamber price was ridiculous, but it didn't stop me.

I dunno, I'm just happy to have fun with these less-than-perfect toys. And I can't think of any retro toy companies with a 100% track record. Certainly not FTC, Diamond (EMCE), or BiffBangPow.

Comment

• Damned_Dirty_Ape
                • May 21, 2015

My wife keeps buying me these and I've been leaving them sealed. (got around 40 at the moment) I really like the packaging and many of the properties they offer, but I dunno, something is keeping me from opening them. I do appreciate that she buys them for me, of course, and I have opened the Alien and Jason.

Subconsciously, I'm probably just crabby that they are done in original Star Wars format instead of MEGO style.

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

It's no sin to want a line to be really on point. But, apparently (due to Wolverine recently) it's more obvious now to me than ever that I don't have high expectations comparatively for certain aspects of tributing a stylistic retro toy thing....but, as you can see from other posts I make, some thing DO bug me---I guess it's a case-by-case basis.

To me, the JAWS figures look Kennery just fine....and as far as figures in that format, BETTER than fine.

Those 3 figures will be three of the favorite in my 3 & 3/4 inch scale collection.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

double post Amity!
                    Last edited by huedell; May 22, '15, 1:41 PM. Reason: double post
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

I want a Quint in his headband with machete.

Comment

• Damned_Dirty_Ape
                        • May 21, 2015

Originally posted by Hedji
                        I want a Quint in his headband with machete.
                        Although it's not the same style cutter that he grabs from the wall of the Orca, you could always snag Jason's machete. It's done in all gray and should be in scale. The headband should be an easy enough add-on.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Yeah! Good thinking.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 12, 2004

You can find some really good deals on Amazon Marketplace.

I bought 12 Snake Plissken figures (6 of each variant) for 3.37 each with free shipping.

Comment

• Damned_Dirty_Ape
                              • May 21, 2015

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
                              You can find some really good deals on Amazon Marketplace.

I bought 12 Snake Plissken figures (6 of each variant) for 3.37 each with free shipping.
                              That is a fantastic price, but what will you do with all of those Kurt figures? Guess you could resell them or give them to the kids on Halloween.

Here is a picture I took of mine a couple months back. I have since added ten or so.

Comment

• mickeymoosemego
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jul 11, 2014

I'm in on the Jaws line big time. If only FTC could make some Mego size one's..

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎