Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figuremod73
    That 80's guy
    • Jul 27, 2011

Not monster related but I use to love checking out the Mysteries of the Unknown series from the public library. These are some of the best books I've ever encountered. http://www.volumelists.com/detail.ph...0the%20Unknown

Comment

• mazinz
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 2, 2007

So far about 99% of the books mentioned in this thread were all scanned and uploaded to the "internet" a few years back. They are still out there if you know where to look
      "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Man, I wish I had seen those Crestwood monster books when I was a kid, I would have been all over them like stink on a monkey, they would have been right up my alley! Even now I'm tempted to start collecting them, especially the Godzilla one.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I loved the Crestwood books, I wish I'd had the foresight to nab them from my library's sale. I really need to add the Phantom one to my collection.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

I never seen these, there really cool, might try for that Franky meets Wolfman book,
            I didn't see a Frankenstein book, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere, a Godzilla book
            would have been cool, but I'm thinking these were only an American Universal thing.

Comment

• Figuremod73
              That 80's guy
              • Jul 27, 2011

The interesting thing I'm finding about these is on some the hardcovers are cheaper than the soft covers on certain titles.

I'm glad I thought to ask the forum, I've been wondering what books they were for a couple years but never thought to ask in the forum. It turns out they were very popular at the time.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 28, 2013

Ha, ha, just the title of thread made me think of these books in my elementary school. I dont know if I ever brought anything else home, just the same books over and over again! I dont think I watched the Universal movies until much later in life. Just the legends of the monsters were enough to keep me entertained.

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                  Career Member
                  • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  ... and the greatest monster book of them all, "Movie Monsters" by Alan Ormsby.
                  Does the Ormsby book have a bit telling kids how to do the Jekyll & Hyde transformation with make-up and differently colored lights? If so I've been trying to recall this book for years.

A favorite from my elementary days as well as my introduction to the Universal Monster was "Movie Monsters" by Thomas G. Aylesworth.
                  Last edited by StrangeVisitor; May 20, '15, 9:11 PM.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                    That 80's guy
                    • Jul 27, 2011

I might end up trying to hunt down that one to, if its at a reasonable price somewhere.

Glad you were able to find out what the book was.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

I wish I could remember what monster books our local library had that I borrowed over and over again. I just remember that one of them had pics of Hammer films in it, and they gave me the occasional bad dream, but it was worth it!

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

Looks like both the Movie Monster books are super cheap on Amazon.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                          That 80's guy
                          • Jul 27, 2011

Can you remember what was on the cover?

Comment

• Figuremod73
                            That 80's guy
                            • Jul 27, 2011

The Dick Smith monster make up book looks like it would be interesting to. http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-yoursel.../dp/0911137025

Heres images of a Dick Smith book from the '60s. The actual books are a little pricey. https://www.flickr.com/photos/nerdco...7623461370917/
                            Last edited by Figuremod73; May 20, '15, 9:33 PM.

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Figuremod73
                              Can you remember what was on the cover?
                              I'm drawing a complete blank. It was the mid 1970's when I read them so they are no newer than that. Time for me to do some research I guess.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                                HULK SMASH!
                                • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by StrangeVisitor
                                Does the Ormsby book have a bit telling kids how to do the Jekyll & Hyde transformation with make-up and differently colored lights? If so I've been trying to recall this book for years.
                                Yes, indeed it does.
                                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎